How to find part-time job from home?

If I was ever to end up moving to a place where cannabis was legal, I've got a waterpipe that I invented, developed and built (took several different designs to get it right) that I know will make me a lot of money. Made and sold several for friends of mine, but I know that if I was to put it in a head shop, I'd have orders for days. Yeah, I've got a million dollar idea, just haven't decided to capitalize on it yet.

Not looking for a big salary!

I was going to suggest this..... do what he does.....but then...you are not looking for a big salary! oh well!:tongue:

y1vwWHm.jpg

One guy I know who lived on the East side got a job working from home selling auto parts. But they fired him because he couldn't show up to work on time.

He worked from home over his computer. His computer desk was literally only about two steps away from his bed. It's not like he had to shit, shower and shave and get dressed and drive to the office or anything like that before work.

He didn't even have to leave the room to show up for work.

And he got fired because he was too freaking lazy to even do that. :icon_rolleyes:

Last edited:
After being retired, I decided I needed a job but because of caring for a love one, I could not work away from home. I did some research and tried a few. I found most work at home jobs fell into the following categories:
Telemarking - I tried a couple of these jobs and found they were not worth pursuing because you worked on a commission and the products you were selling were too hard to sell over the phone. It was just a lot of work dealing with people who didn't want to talk to you.
Business Opportunities - Most of these were either rip offs or require money or skills I didn't have. Be very cautious of any advertised business opportunity. If it were really very good, they would not be advertising it.
Skill based jobs. - These jobs require certain skills such technical or customer support, web page design, writing copy for varies organizations, computer graphics, bookkeeping, etc.

If you want a real job working at home consider your skills and experience. Write a resume and and contact companies in your area You may want to pitch a service that you can perform at home.. You should tell the company what you are capable of doing and your need to work at home. Small companies that can't afford full time help in an office may be willing to hire you or contract for your services.

Lastly if you are just looking for some work to do and don't care about the money, check out some volunteer organizations. They may have some type of office work or fund raising that you can do from home. I've done quit a bit volunteering after retirement and found it very rewarding.

Last edited:
The thread headline has an obvious answer:

Get up off your ass and go use some shoe leather on the streets, knock on some damn doors, hand out some resumes and get some damn interviews.

This has been known to work. Apparently it has something to do with demonstrating a willingness to work. Word has it, this influences folks hiring people to do some work.

Shoot..................it's readily apparent that the OP has a computer since they are posting here. All they really have to do is go to the Google machine and type in "work from home jobs" and their area. There are lots of them that should pop up. I live in Newberry SC (a pretty rural area and fairly small town) and did the Google trick with work from home jobs here, and there seem to be quite a few. Most are starting out at 17.00/hr.
That would be great! How can I find this kind of work?

Once a month or so, a bunch of people who used to work for the company I currently work for and a few possibly stupid people [like me? getting close to 12 years there] who are still there will get together. Mind you, our staff in IT is around 32 people, we have had 24 people quit in the past 2 years.
90% of everyone who left are now working from home. Most are in the 6 digits or very close to 6 digits. Now, coming from Ark, that is pretty good.
I also have a good friend who married an Army Ranger who graduated from West Point that they met while attending MIT. She makes mid 6 figures working from Germany for a company based in CA. Power couple - clash of the overachievers but it works for them. Personally, we would all data nerd out when they were in the states.
Working from home isn't the limitation although there is a trend to go back to the office.
Your abilities are the limitation.
Can you program? With what languages? Work with large datasets? Are people calling you up headhunting?
My excuse, I'm old in this world of IT filled with people are younger than my kids. I'll wait it out. And then pimp myself and start answering all of those headhunters calls.
I've work at home, in hotels, airports, and offices. Although I could work anywhere, I preferred working in an office. I found that when I worked at home, it was hard to keep family life and job separated. With a family, I don't like to work at home. It's too distracting.

One guy I know who lived on the East side got a job working from home selling auto parts. But they fired him because he couldn't show up to work on time.
Unfortunately I have low interpersonal communication skills.

Be careful about asking this question in any local group, the MLM scammers will descend.

A woman would get bombarded with a lot more of it. Mary Kay. Herbalife. Scentsy. Young Living. Doterra. Avon. Optavia. Beachbody. The list goes on and on.

Men aren't totally immune. They might get Amway or Primerica trying to reel them in.

Just remember that 99% of people involved in MLMs lose money. The 1% who make money got in at the start, from insider info.

And if a business won't tell your their name and exactly what they do right up front, they're an MLM and they're trying to scam you. First they'll tell you how easy it is to make money in your spare time. Then, when you don't make money, they'll tell you you're not dedicated enough.

Once a month or so, a bunch of people who used to work for the company I currently work for and a few possibly stupid people [like me? getting close to 12 years there] who are still there will get together. Mind you, our staff in IT is around 32 people, we have had 24 people quit in the past 2 years.
90% of everyone who left are now working from home. Most are in the 6 digits or very close to 6 digits. Now, coming from Ark, that is pretty good.
I also have a good friend who married an Army Ranger who graduated from West Point that they met while attending MIT. She makes mid 6 figures working from Germany for a company based in CA. Power couple - clash of the overachievers but it works for them. Personally, we would all data nerd out when they were in the states.
Working from home isn't the limitation although there is a trend to go back to the office.
Your abilities are the limitation.
Can you program? With what languages? Work with large datasets? Are people calling you up headhunting?
My excuse, I'm old in this world of IT filled with people are younger than my kids. I'll wait it out. And then pimp myself and start answering all of those headhunters calls.

Interesting. If you have the time, if I could pick your brain to ask you how you would you recommend a self taught coder, mostly python with machine learning, plenty of self made mini projects in data cleaning/train/test libraries, multiple learning approach plus some MYSQL application find a U.S company to work from home in Canada? Or, simply break into the programming world on a full-time basis as an "older" guy, with a young mind?

I'm also currently teaching myself front end HTML/CSS/Javascript. It's been much easier than python so I am flying through it relative quickly. Full stack seems to provide the best options not just in innovatively challenged Canada, but the entire global market.

Just recently I had a phone interview for a sales position due to my experience (as I enjoy sales) but oddly, from the time she showed interest to her call to me, the job has changed to "commission only". I figure the Creepy Ones who have destroyed our economy got to her.

I'd work on commission only if it was a FAANG or well known company with recognition, not a lesser known company that I have to sell AND market them due to them not being known. I almost laughed at her for changing the job description from the time I applied to her phone call.

Riiiight...

Last edited:
After being retired, I decided I needed a job but because of caring for a love one, I could not work away from home. I did some research and tried a few. I found most work at home jobs fell into the following categories:
Telemarking - I tried a couple of these jobs and found they were not worth pursuing because you worked on a commission and the products you were selling were too hard to sell over the phone. It was just a lot of work dealing with people who didn't want to talk to you.
Business Opportunities - Most of these were either rip offs or require money or skills I didn't have. Be very cautious of any advertised business opportunity. If it were really very good, they would not be advertising it.
Skill based jobs. - These jobs require certain skills such technical or customer support, web page design, writing copy for varies organizations, computer graphics, bookkeeping, etc.

If you want a real job working at home consider your skills and experience. Write a resume and and contact companies in your area You may want to pitch a service that you can perform at home.. You should tell the company what you are capable of doing and your need to work at home. Small companies that can't afford full time help in an office may be willing to hire you or contract for your services.

Lastly if you are just looking for some work to do and don't care about the money, check out some volunteer organizations. They may have some type of office work or fund raising that you can do from home. I've done quit a bit volunteering after retirement and found it very rewarding.
Thank you very much!

Just remember that 99% of people involved in MLMs lose money. The 1% who make money got in at the start, from insider info.

And if a business won't tell your their name and exactly what they do right up front, they're an MLM and they're trying to scam you. First they'll tell you how easy it is to make money in your spare time. Then, when you don't make money, they'll tell you you're not dedicated enough.
Agree 100%. I am looking for some simple job.

Forum List

Back