How to get a new fob?

Depending on the vehicle, you could order one online pretty cheap. My dad got one for a silverado for 40 bucks. Just had to program it.

Fobs are ridiculously expensive, I researched on YouTube I could get a chipped key made and there was a way to activate it yourself, it was quite easy (I have not done it) and it makes sense it is easy because the dealer is not going to make it difficult to do.

So you can save money on activation of the key if you look on YouTube and do it yourself.

I figure this fob was about .25 cents. ;)

f 001 (2).JPG

Jokes aside when I bought my F150 (used) it only came with one chipped key.....I made them go down to the hardware store and get me an extra before I paid them....They were not happy, it was $200.00 bucks.

A chipped key is around a hundred to a hundred fifty bucks.
A fob can be as much as eight hundred, depending on the make/model.
Don't lose your fob.
/——-/ “Don't lose your fob.”
Now he tells me.

Hubby lost fob. Hubby said fob would be about 100 bones....fob is 483 bones...wtf? how can one get a fob replaced cheaper?
What year, make, and model vehicle is it for?

Hubby lost fob. Hubby said fob would be about 100 bones....fob is 483 bones...wtf? how can one get a fob replaced cheaper?

Check with locksmiths in your area and see if any of them specialize in automotive smart key/fob replacements. It will still be a chunk but way less than the dealer will charge.

Buying a replacement fob through the dealer is very expensive, but will include programming the fob to your vehicle.

#1 If the locksmith says they can do it, research them extensively to see if they are reputable.

#2 Can they get an OEM fob or is it some after market equivalent. (I just purchased a Subaru Outback and my fob does a lot more than just lock/unlock the door, so know your functionality.)

#3 A reputable automotive locksmith doing this type of work is going to want some documentation (title, registration, etc.) that the vehicle is actually yours.

(NOTE: Is the vehicle still under warranty and would a non-dealer fob replacement impact it?)

WW

Last edited:

You can buy the FOB online and then get a locksmith to do it if they don't already have a comparable one they can program. The one I called was about half the price of the dealership. but I was eff it to both of them TBH. If your fob is completely trashed or the battery dies, it should still work if you hold it right up next to the start button. It is just a PITA because then you get that stupid no key detected screen as you are driving unless you keep it right there on your knee by the start button

You can buy the FOB online and then get a locksmith to do it if they don't already have a comparable one they can program. The one I called was about half the price of the dealership. but I was eff it to both of them TBH. If your fob is completely trashed or the battery dies, it should still work if you hold it right up next to the start button. It is just a PITA because then you get that stupid no key detected screen as you are driving unless you keep it right there on your knee by the start button

If that is the case, I'd install one of these right above the "Start Engine" button.

:)

WW

1717685927592.png

Depending on the car most key fobs have a physical key inside the fob.

hubby comments we need to tear the house apart to find it....I comment that I did not lose it..I have looked and looked...I would enjoy finding nearly 500 dollars then they tell me if we lose the other one...we have to have the car towed in for another 300

Getting the fob isn’t the expense. It’s getting the dealer to program the fob that costs the money. You may be able to get the fob cheaply at an automostts store but the dealership will still have to program it for you.

Both of the fibs fit my 2017 Escape have had to be replaced in the last year.

hubby comments we need to tear the house apart to find it....I comment that I did not lose it..I have looked and looked...I would enjoy finding nearly 500 dollars then they tell me if we lose the other one...we have to have the car towed in for another 300

I'm assuming hubby has sat down and replayed the day in his mind.

Where did he go? When was the last time he remembers handling it? Were both of you in the car and could it have been your fob allowing start?

Basically are you sure 100% that the fob is in the house?

WW

Forum List

Back