How to save the planet

...and then Abe3 did a Google search...and then there were crickets...

My initial belief that he was an atheist were based solely on his work in mathematics and discussions of "Cogito ergo sum" in logic and philosophy classes (and one bad joke that begins "Rene Descartes walks into a tavern and...") - which was the sum of my knowledge on him. I believe that in general, the smarter is someone, the greater the likelihood that they're an atheist. But, of course until very recently, the cost of admitting atheism was very high indeed and so often avoided. I did read the Google article on Descartes which says that the point has been debated (certainly indicating his Catholicism is not unquestioned) and the opinion of his contemporary, Blaise Pascal, that he [u[was[/u] an atheist sold me on the point entirely.

I'd like to point out that this conversation has nothing to do with ENVIRONMENT.

Last edited:
I believe that in general, the smarter is someone, the greater the likelihood that they're an atheist. .

And your prejudice made a fool of you.

Not in the slightest. Demographics worldwide support this position. A belief of this nature, particularly since it originated in demographic data, is NOT a prejudicial one and it's entirely possible to surmise a correlation between education and atheism. I thought you were the philosopher. I would have thought you'd be well aware of what "prejudice" actually means.

Last edited:
I believe that in general, the smarter is someone, the greater the likelihood that they're an atheist. .

Now, now, Unkotare, no need to lord it over the guy after he admits his mistake and prejudice. That doesn't help.

Post-post Edit: Nevermind...sigh.

Last edited:

Now, now, Unkotare, no need to lord it over the guy after he admits his mistake and prejudice. That doesn't help.

Out of curiosity Colorado Mountain Man, where did you think I had admitted, or would admit, a mistake? Did you think his use of the magic word "prejudice" would make me instantly back down?

Out of curiosity Colorado Mountain Man, where did you think I had admitted, or would admit, a mistake? Did you think his use of the magic word "prejudice" would make me instantly back down?

I thought that you admitted to believing Descartes was an atheist when he was actually a devout Christian, as I explained in earlier post. That's what's great about nonbelief: we can change our minds and admit to wrong beliefs.

I didn't think the word 'prejudice' would change your mind. I thought the recognition of your bias would, and since atheists try to recognize bias and overcome it... But, you didn't.

I thought that you admitted to believing Descartes was an atheist when he was actually a devout Christian, as I explained in earlier post. .

When ignorance and pride come together, the result isn't pretty. And, a lack of faith does not necessarily indicate the presence of reason any more than the presence of faith indicates a lack of reason.

...and then Abe3 did a Google search...and then there were crickets...

My initial belief that he was an atheist were based solely on his work in mathematics and discussions of "Cogito ergo sum" in logic and philosophy classes (and one bad joke that begins "Rene Descartes walks into a tavern and...") - which was the sum of my knowledge on him. I believe that in general, the smarter is someone, the greater the likelihood that they're an atheist. But, of course until very recently, the cost of admitting atheism was very high indeed and so often avoided. I did read the Google article on Descartes which says that the point has been debated (certainly indicating his Catholicism is not unquestioned) and the opinion of his contemporary, Blaise Pascal, that he [u[was[/u] an atheist sold me on the point entirely.

I'd like to point out that this conversation has nothing to do with ENVIRONMENT.

Typical...assumption based on the shallowest bit of knowledge. That's your MO.

I thought that you admitted to believing Descartes was an atheist when he was actually a devout Christian, as I explained in earlier post. That's what's great about nonbelief: we can change our minds and admit to wrong beliefs.

I didn't think the word 'prejudice' would change your mind. I thought the recognition of your bias would, and since atheists try to recognize bias and overcome it... But, you didn't.

abe isn't an athiest. He worships constantly at the altar of AGW....his high priests hand down marching orders and he marches. He is a true believer....no other way to describe him.

I am still convinced he was an atheist and that his Christian proclamations were only made to protect himself from the brutality of the church and its society.

I am not in a state of non-belief. I believe there are no gods. I believe there is no supernatural in our universe. Those are beliefs. You seem to believe that as an atheist that my universe is without rules. I assure you, mine has more rules and enormously more consistent rules than does that of any devout Christian. One such rule is that people expressing a belief that atheists are amoral and free to violate the rules of society are speaking from a fairly profound ignorance.

My belief that the more intelligent an individual, the more likely they are atheist is fully supported by demographics. See:

Average intelligence predicts atheism rates across 137 nations

and

The relationship between intelligence and multiple domains of religious belief: Evidence from a large adult US sample

and

The intelligence?religiosity nexus: A representative study of white adolescent Americans

for starters.

Again, though, this has nothing to do with the forum topic and should be discontinued or moved.

Last edited:
abe isn't an athiest. He worships constantly at the altar of AGW....his high priests hand down marching orders and he marches. He is a true believer....no other way to describe him.

SSDD obviously knows nothing about me beyond what I've told him and religion is not a topic we have discussed.

I believe AGW is a valid description of the behavior of our climate in response to human activity because an enormous amount of evidence and scientific experimentation supports that view. There is no more exercise of faith in that belief then there is in our (presumably) common belief that disease is caused by germs and viruses, that it is gravity that holds us to the Earth's surface and that the Sun's heat is a result of nuclear fusion.

A religion is composed of individuals worshiping a supernatural entity believed to be responsible for the existence and function of the universe as a whole, typically via rituals and organized devotion and defining basic rules of morality. Supernatural entities, by definition, are neither controlled nor evidenced by the natural world. A belief in such a thing requires the practice of faith - a belief without proof, a belief DESPITE the evidence.

None of that applies to AGW or my belief that it is the most correct current theory of the effect of human activity on the Earth's climate. You should thus take the frequent accusation by my denier opponents here that it does, as a handy measure of their fidelity to the truth.

SSDD obviously knows nothing about me beyond what I've told him and religion is not a topic we have discussed.

I believe AGW is a valid description of the behavior of our climate in response to human activity because an enormous amount of evidence and scientific experimentation supports that view. There is no more exercise of faith in that belief then there is in our (presumably) common belief that disease is caused by germs and viruses, that it is gravity that holds us to the Earth's surface and that the Sun's heat is a result of nuclear fusion.

A religion is composed of individuals worshiping a supernatural entity believed to be responsible for the existence and function of the universe as a whole, typically via rituals and organized devotion and defining basic rules of morality. Supernatural entities, by definition, are neither controlled nor evidenced by the natural world. A belief in such a thing requires the practice of faith - a belief without proof, a belief DESPITE the evidence.

None of that applies to AGW or my belief that it is the most correct current theory of the effect of human activity on the Earth's climate. You should thus take the frequent accusation by my denier opponents here that it does, as a handy measure of their fidelity to the truth.

Religion requires belief, as you confess that you have, and at having over 4000 posts, you can bet all of us know you, despite your ignorance to this.

I am still convinced he was an atheist and that his Christian proclamations were only made to protect himself from the brutality of the church and its society.

You remain ignorant on the subject, but you insist on a conclusion merely because it conforms to your prejudice and bigotry. Not very rational, kid.

Forum List

Back