How to save the planet

I told you why I believe what I believe and the explanation did not include any measure of prejudice, much less bigotry.

What bigotry do you see in my behavior?

I told you why I believe what I believe and the explanation did not include any measure of prejudice, much less bigotry.

What bigotry do you see in my behavior?

You're either stupid or playing 'cute.' I don't care. Did you even bother to read the relevant material I kindly directed you towards?

When you're done with that, go look up the word "bigotry" in the dictionary.

Stay in school, don't do drugs!

Religious beliefs
The religious beliefs of René Descartes have been rigorously debated within scholarly circles. He claimed to be a devout Catholic, saying that one of the purposes of the Meditations was to defend the Christian faith. However, in his own era, Descartes was accused of harboring secret deist or atheist beliefs. His contemporary Blaise Pascal said that "I cannot forgive Descartes; in all his philosophy, Descartes did his best to dispense with God. But Descartes could not avoid prodding God to set the world in motion with a snap of his lordly fingers; after that, he had no more use for God."[26] Stephen Gaukroger's biography of Descartes reports that "he had a deep religious faith as a Catholic, which he retained to his dying day, along with a resolute, passionate desire to discover the truth."[27] The debate continues whether Descartes was a Catholic apologist, or an atheist concealed behind pious sentiments who placed the world on a mechanistic framework, within which only man could freely move due to the grace of will granted by God.[21]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descartes

Both Catholic and Protestant Aristotelians highly criticized and berated the Meditations on First Philosophy and they viewed Descartes as an atheist and libertine.[ii]
René Descartes’ Meditation on First Philosophy

But this veridical guarantee gives rise to a serious problem within the Meditations, stemming from the claim that all clear and distinct ideas are ultimately guaranteed by God’s existence, which is not established until the Third Meditation. This means that those truths reached in the Second Meditation, such as “I exist” and “I am a thinking thing,” and those principles used in the Third Meditation to conclude that God exists, are not clearly and distinctly understood, and so they cannot be absolutely certain. Hence, since the premises of the argument for God’s existence are not absolutely certain, the conclusion that God exists cannot be certain either. This is what is known as the “Cartesian Circle,” because Descartes’ reasoning seems to go in a circle in that he needs God’s existence for the absolute certainty of the earlier truths and yet he needs the absolute certainty of these earlier truths to demonstrate God’s existence with absolute certainty.
Descartes, Rene*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

This naturalistic “solution” prompts two obvious criticisms, both raised by Hobbes in the Third Objections. First, the solution runs contrary to Descartes' No Atheistic Knowledge Thesis: since the continuity test (on the naturalistic reading of it) does not invoke God, it thus appears, as Hobbes notes, “that someone can know he is awake without knowledge of the true God” (AT 7:196). Second, as Hobbes adds, it seems one could dream the requisite continuity: one could “dream that his dream fits in with his ideas of a long series of past events,” thus undermining the credibility of the continuity test (AT 7:195).
Descartes' Epistemology (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

I find no lacking in the company of those who doubt Descartes' devotion to Catholicism. And if that behavior is bigoted, philosophers in general may be identified by their white hooded robes and burning crosses.

You have not identified the behavior of mine you find bigoted. That is a serious accusation and I would very much like to see how you justify it.

Last edited:
SSDD obviously knows nothing about me beyond what I've told him and religion is not a topic we have discussed.

You wear your religion on your sleeve for everyone to see. You are a devout acolyte of the church of AGW.

This "AGW is a religion" meme was never meritorious and its continued use seems to me to only point out the desperate groundlessness of the denier position.

SSDD, given that I have produced reams of evidence supporting AGW, have refuted numerous attempts on your part and that of your friends in the denier community to substitute alternate realities for hard science and have repeatedly noted the numerous degreed scientists also fully convinced by the evidence that AGW is valid, where in heaven's name do you get the idea that I operate by faith or dogma?

What facet of AGW do you believe I hold on faith alone?

ps: most of the time I spend on this board I have no sleeves. Or pants. Or skivvies.

Last edited:
You have not identified the behavior of mine you find bigoted. That is a serious accusation and I would very much like to see how you justify it.

You didn't look up the word "bigotry" in the dictionary as I instructed, did you? Also, you copied and pasted but you haven't read the material I suggested, have you? No, you haven't, and your copying and pasting by no measure proves your assertion, contradicted as it is by the man's own words. You fail, kid. Start over again.

All things come to end.

Even the Sun will eventually die out.

Guess then (if the AGW mentally/cult is still alive at that time) that the human race will need to spend untold amounts of money to stop it because it happened due to "human" influence.

You didn't look up the word "bigotry" in the dictionary as I instructed, did you? Also, you copied and pasted but you haven't read the material I suggested, have you? No, you haven't, and your copying and pasting by no measure proves your assertion, contradicted as it is by the man's own words. You fail, kid. Start over again.

I looked up the definition of the word "bigot" more than 50 years ago, son, and I most assuredly do not take any form of instruction from you. I have not read the material you suggested. I am well aware that Descartes self-identified Catholic and that he expressed numerous ideas in which the existence of a deity was implicitly or explicitly required. Given that I have already stated that I believe he lied to disguise his actual beliefs, such implications - in my view - are secondary to the core of his philosophical standing which leaves no place for a deity except - possibly - the creation of the universe itself. After that, in Descartes view, man and the rest of the universe are on their own.

Again, you owe me an explanation for having called me a bigot. The dictionary is not going to answer for you.

Last edited:
Interesting...............

A Turkish man around 60 years old runs a convenience store around the corner from me. We were talking about the cold and snow we had here in New York this am. Told him, "Yeah.....all that damn global warming!!". Tell ms that they froze their balls off in Turkey all winter like here......and the apricot industry took a real hit.......they are big apricot exporters apparently. So he says, "Yeah.....that global warming bullshit......you Americans are getting scammed!"

Laughed my ass off.................

I have not read the material you suggested.

Get back to me when you have, junior. Until then, you are just talking out your ass to promote your atheist zealotry.

I'm 60 years old. If your avatar is representative, I do not believe you're entitled to call me "Junior". Neither are you justified in any of your other statements, but that can simply be demonstrated.

I have most definitely not exhibited any atheist zealotry here. I have not posted a single word on any of the religion forums and I have never discussed it with anyone on this one. Again, you make groundless and unjustified accusations apparently out of your frustrations.

You called me a bigot. I asked you why. You have not responded. I know for a fact your silence is a result of being unable to demonstrate any such thing. So, in response, boy, go fuck yourself.

I have not read the material you suggested.

Get back to me when you have, junior. Until then, you are just talking out your ass to promote your atheist zealotry.

I'm 60 years old. If your avatar is representative, I do not believe you're entitled to call me "Junior". Neither are you justified in any of your other statements, but that can simply be demonstrated.

I have most definitely not exhibited any atheist zealotry here. I have not posted a single word on any of the religion forums and I have never discussed it with anyone on this one. Again, you make groundless and unjustified accusations apparently out of your frustrations.

You called me a bigot. I asked you why. You have not responded. I know for a fact your silence is a result of being unable to demonstrate any such thing. So, in response, boy, go fuck yourself.

abraHAM, are you offended being called "junior", wow, talk about calling the, "kettle black", you throw out demeaning slurs repeatedly, abraHAM.

You clearly haven't got a leg to stand on and even more clearly, are a first rate asshole.

As I said, get back to me when you've finished your reading, junior.

abraHAM, are you offended being called "junior", wow, talk about calling the, "kettle black", you throw out demeaning slurs repeatedly, abraHAM.

The difference, particularly in your case, is that I can justify the epithets I use.

Forum List

Back