How tolerant are americans to roma?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
To kick the truth to the young black youth
I heard often that in america roma are the "hidden americans" that they hide their origins, whether that is a truth or not though. Also that americans sometimes perceive them not as "real people" but like cobolds or fairies and such, vampires. Or that anyone "can be a gypsy" a hippie, a nomad, a thieve etc. Not everyone can be a gypsy, not every hippie, it is biological thing to be a gypsy. What are your opinions and how in 21st century the societies as well as the roma themselfes should transform from century old stereotypes, views, opinions as well the as the traditions the roma themselfes still clinge to.

There aren’t many of them here. In general, contrary to what the liberals tell you, minorities are give the same freedoms and treated well here.

There aren’t many of them here. In general, contrary to what the liberals tell you, minorities are give the same freedoms and treated well here.

I think roma are still the last minority where it is partly politically correct to appropriate their culture and to stereotype them in public. Not that Im really offended or believe in cultural appropriation but is not really the same treatment other minorities receive.

I think roma are still the last minority where it is partly politically correct to appropriate their culture and to stereotype them in public. Not that Im really offended or believe in cultural appropriation but is not really the same treatment other minorities receive.

In Europe they’re treated like shit from what I understand. It’s not the same in the states

I heard often that in america roma are the "hidden americans" that they hide their origins, whether that is a truth or not though. Also that americans sometimes perceive them not as "real people" but like cobolds or fairies and such, vampires. Or that anyone "can be a gypsy" a hippie, a nomad, a thieve etc. Not everyone can be a gypsy, not every hippie, it is biological thing to be a gypsy. What are your opinions and how in 21st century the societies as well as the roma themselfes should transform from century old stereotypes, views, opinions as well the as the traditions the roma themselfes still clinge to.

Europe is very different than the US, and we don't have problems with "roma" or such.

Now gypsies still have a negative stereo type, only because the only time we ever hear of Gypsies is when they are stealing stuff.

The last time I personally have ever heard of a gypsy in Ohio, they were engaged in a shoplifting ring around Columbus.
Granted that was years ago. Maybe even a decade ago now.

Now every once in awhile, we have some new age gypsies. These are people running promoted cultist spiritualism. So I would guess that most of them are not biologically gypsies, but rather just spoiled yuppy kids, playing at religion, and feel good-ism.

Europe is very different than the US, and we don't have problems with "roma" or such.

Now gypsies still have a negative stereo type, only because the only time we ever hear of Gypsies is when they are stealing stuff.

The last time I personally have ever heard of a gypsy in Ohio, they were engaged in a shoplifting ring around Columbus.

Now every once in awhile, we have some new age gypsies. These are people running promoted cultist spiritualism. So I would guess that most of them are not biologically gypsies, but rather just spoiled yuppy kids, playing at religion, and feel good-ism.

Pretty true. A large number of roma is involved in petty crime, also shoplifting. But I think also a large number of roma dont. And when we speak of roma in the media, it is always the roma who steal only. I think it is also a bit media to blame why the roma always get portrayed as thieves only.

These days in the U.S. its probably considered fashionable to be a Gypsy, most of the younger generation probably doesn't know much about them at all.

Pretty true. A large number of roma is involved in petty crime, also shoplifting. But I think also a large number of roma dont. And when we speak of roma in the media, it is always the roma who steal only. I think it is also a bit media to blame why the roma always get portrayed as thieves only.

Like I said, here in the US, you really don't hear about them much. Not in the media or elsewhere. Might be different in Europe.

Oh great - another group of victims. Just what we need.

America is the most tolerant society in the world but you gotta define the term "roma" for those of us who didn't grow up in front of a video game.

Forum List

Back