How Wales leads the civilised world.

Do you have Curry Houses in the states ?

What are Curry Houses?

If it has anything to do with Indian food then probably the answer is no as Indian food is not very popular in the US. US has large Middle Eastern (Jewish, Muslim, Coptic Christians and Orthodox Christians) population. So Middle Eastern food tends to be quite popular in the big cities here.
Yes restaurants. They are termed Indian but in reality they are Bangladeshi owned and run.There is one in every village in the UK and curry has overtaken fish and chips as the national dish.
Its well nigh impossible to replicate the curry house flavour at home. I travel to Birmingham on a regular basis and shop at Paks Supermarkets. They sell everything you need to make a perfect curry but I still cant crack it.
Trying to imagine the UK without Curry is not possible.

I am glad to hear about the popularity of curry in UK. At least, I will have some good food to eat when I am in the UK. Here in the good old USA, you will find Indian restaurants in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc. I used to not distinguish between Indian and Pakistani restaurants when I was new in the US but then quickly I realized that there was a big difference between the two as far as tastes go. I prefer authentic Indian restaurants owned by Indians. Also, some of these so called Indians restaurants that are not owned by Indians have given bad reputation to Indian food here in the US.

What are Curry Houses?

If it has anything to do with Indian food then probably the answer is no as Indian food is not very popular in the US. US has large Middle Eastern (Jewish, Muslim, Coptic Christians and Orthodox Christians) population. So Middle Eastern food tends to be quite popular in the big cities here.
Yes restaurants. They are termed Indian but in reality they are Bangladeshi owned and run.There is one in every village in the UK and curry has overtaken fish and chips as the national dish.
Its well nigh impossible to replicate the curry house flavour at home. I travel to Birmingham on a regular basis and shop at Paks Supermarkets. They sell everything you need to make a perfect curry but I still cant crack it.

I am glad to hear about the popularity of curry in UK. At least, I will have some good food to eat when I am in the UK. Here in the good old USA, you will find Indian restaurants in cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc. I used to not distinguish between Indian and Pakistani restaurants when I was new in the US but then quickly I realized that there was a big difference between the two as far as tastes go. I prefer authentic Indian restaurants owned by Indians. Also, some of these so called Indians restaurants that are not owned by Indians have given bad reputation to Indian food here in the US.

Can't find good lamb in the US.

I think they slaughter it at the wrong time.

What are Curry Houses?

Can't find good lamb in the US.

I think they slaughter it at the wrong time.

I do not eat mammals. I prefer vegetables, eggs and fish.

What are Curry Houses?

Mrs T and myself had a curry in Riga a few months back. You could see the chef in the kitchen and he didnt look very Asian at all. It was good value but not amazing.

What are Curry Houses?

'Trying to imagine the UK without curry houses is not possible', you say. How telling ...

A handful of decades ago, such a statement would've been laughable. Then, it would've made far more sense to say 'Trying to imagine the UK without fish and chips is not possible'.

Ah, but in these days of Leftie appeasement to other cultures, this is one fact that's been eroded, and supplanted by something not originally of our shores. Lefties bang on about 'integration' and 'multiculturalism', but the truth is that we lose from it. We 'progressively' lose what we once valued.
Why dont you and your mates start up a thread entitled "we hate darkies" ? You can spew up your bile on there all day without disturbing those of us higher up the food chain.

What are Curry Houses?

Mrs T and myself had a curry in Riga a few months back. You could see the chef in the kitchen and he didnt look very Asian at all. It was good value but not amazing.

It requires great deal of skill to cook Indian food. So if it is cooked properly, it will taste GREAT or else it will give you belly ache. That is why I am very picky about which Indian restaurant to step into.

I live in a small town in N California. It is very small. Yet, it has a super expensive French restaurant. It has couple of moderately expensive Italian restaurants as well. By the way, you will find Italian restaurants everywhere you go. It even has a reasonably priced diner. But alas, there is no Indian restaurant.

However, I spend most of my time working in Silicon Valley which is few hours away from my home and Silicon Valley has small Indian population which has drawn in some authentic Indians restaurants.

What are Curry Houses?

It requires great deal of skill to cook Indian food. So if it is cooked properly, it will taste GREAT or else it will give you belly ache. That is why I am very picky about which Indian restaurant to step into.

I live in a small town in N California. It is very small. Yet, it has a super expensive French restaurant. It has couple of moderately expensive Italian restaurants as well. By the way, you will find Italian restaurants everywhere you go. It even has a reasonably priced diner. But alas, there is no Indian restaurant.

However, I spend most of my time working in Silicon Valley which is few hours away from my home and Silicon Valley has small Indian population which has drawn in some authentic Indians restaurants.
Strange the difference in tastes. I would have thought that Curry would have been embraced by the US.

I was told the margins on pasta dishes a long time ago and have always grudged paying for Italian food.

In Wrexham, the capital of North Wales, we have a few options for eating out.

All the chains have outlets in the town, Pizza Hut,Nandos and so on.

After that its bit slim pickings.

There are 5 curry houses, 3 Chinese, 1 Thai , 1 Italian (I think) and 1 Polish dumpling place. I havent tried the dumpling place yet.

Curry is king but the Chinese places are now doing the £20 banquet on an all you can eat basis and its really popular.

The chippys have been left behind in all of this.

One thing that annoys me is that the only beer they serve is Cobra or Kingfisher. There is a big opportunity there for some enterprising importer.

What are Curry Houses?

'Trying to imagine the UK without curry houses is not possible', you say. How telling ...

A handful of decades ago, such a statement would've been laughable. Then, it would've made far more sense to say 'Trying to imagine the UK without fish and chips is not possible'.

Ah, but in these days of Leftie appeasement to other cultures, this is one fact that's been eroded, and supplanted by something not originally of our shores. Lefties bang on about 'integration' and 'multiculturalism', but the truth is that we lose from it. We 'progressively' lose what we once valued.
Why dont you and your mates start up a thread entitled "we hate darkies" ? You can spew up your bile on there all day without disturbing those of us higher up the food chain.

You mean like you and your mates start thread entitled "we hate the Jews" and " we hate the right wing "

What are Curry Houses?

You mean like you and your mates start thread entitled "we hate the Jews" and " we hate the right wing "
I would ask you to link to these threads but its probably your bedtime now.

One thing that annoys me is that the only beer they serve is Cobra or Kingfisher. There is a big opportunity there for some enterprising importer.
What! I can't believe that in Britain you don't have an unending supply of beers that fulfill the "Deutsches Reinheits Gebot" of pure, natural ingredients! We call them the products of "boutique breweries."

Vive la difference!!

My favorite cartoon panel in "Asterix in Britannia" has Asterix telling his companion to "drink your beer before it gets cold."
(The French version is a hilarious compendium of English faux pas in speaking French)

What are Curry Houses?

Ah, resorting to racism as an alleged motivation for comments made ? Tut tut. According to you, am I really 'racist' because I mourn the decline of a traditional food dish, because a foreign rival has gone some way to supplant it ??

Newsflash ... I eat bread rather than poppadoms. How shocking !! Are the bakeries responsible, promoting racism, according to you ??? I've been known to tuck into a steak and kidney pie, rather than mandatorially purchase a kebab, instead. Oh, the shame of it, the shame !!!!

No, Tommy. I will not be starting any thread entitled 'we hate darkies', as you've appallingly suggested. The very thought originates from YOU, and not ME - it never entered my head, unlike what's obviously been true of yours --

So .. whose bile, Tommy, are we REALLY discussing ... ? H'mmm ... ??

Love the Welsh. Aren't they Celts that fled the Germanic Angle and Saxon invasions of what is now called England (Angleland) after the Romans left?

Don't the Welsh lead England in assault cases as well?
No. the average Welshman is a Christian gentleman who turns the other cheek and loves his neighbour, if not his wife.

Fret not, Tommy. Given your enthusiasm for causes which only encourage more immigration (welcoming refugees, remaining in the EU, which helps us lose control of our borders .. and did you ever offer us your estimate of the maximum number of immigrants we can take, as I repeatedly asked you for ??) ... to say nothing of a political alignment with 'PC' deferences ...I'm sure that the 'Christian' label will become ever-more questionable in years to come.

What are Curry Houses?

Just look at any with your or your friends names as the OP

What! I can't believe that in Britain you don't have an unending supply of beers that fulfill the "Deutsches Reinheits Gebot" of pure, natural ingredients! We call them the products of "boutique breweries."

Vive la difference!!

My favorite cartoon panel in "Asterix in Britannia" has Asterix telling his companion to "drink your beer before it gets cold."
(The French version is a hilarious compendium of English faux pas in speaking French)

Beer should be served at room temperature, to release the flavours, lagers should be served ice cold to mask the flavours that are unpalatable

Vive la difference!!

Once again Wrexham is at the centre of the civilised world.
Wrexham Lager was the first Lager Brewery in the UK and was established by.......GERMAN IMMIGRANTS !!
It was the ideal drink for the working man and was popular amongst the local miners and steel workers. It also became popular amongst ex pats in the warmer parts of the Empire. There was Wrexham Lager found amongst General Gordons stuff in Khartoum and it was also served on the Titanic.
Perhaps not great endorsements but another indication of the great benefits brought to our nation by immigrants.

Wrexham Lager - Feed me ‘til I want no more...

Just look at any with your or your friends names as the OP
Nope, cant see anything. You have been at the mushrooms again.

Love the Welsh. Aren't they Celts that fled the Germanic Angle and Saxon invasions of what is now called England (Angleland) after the Romans left?
What's funny is that "Welsh" and "Wales" are words the Germanic invaders of Britannia used to describe the native inhabitants they were killing and driving from their homes.

"Welsh" means "foreigner". ....:eusa_whistle:

What's funny is that "Welsh" and "Wales" are words the Germanic invaders of Britannia used to describe the native inhabitants they were killing and driving from their homes.

Sheep go on 'psychotic rampage' after eating cannabis plants
English media bias again.

Sheep go on 'psychotic rampage' after eating cannabis plants
English media bias again.
Haven't Welsh sheep suffered enough?!

Forum List

Back