How would you be able to function if you only had 3-5 hours of sleep a night?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I ask because in essence, this is what I have had to endure for months now. The odd day I will get 8-10 hours, usually I have to forego a task on the weekend and just sleep for this to occur but regardless.

How would any of you function? How would the rest of your health suffer due to one issue (pain behind left eye, headaches, numbness etc) impacting your sleeping patterns?

I can only surmise how little R.E.M sleep I enjoy on an average night.

I ask because in essence, this is what I have had to endure for months now. The odd day I will get 8-10 hours, usually I have to forego a task on the weekend and just sleep for this to occur but regardless.

How would any of you function? How would the rest of your health suffer due to one issue (pain behind left eye, headaches, numbness etc) impacting your sleeping patterns?

I have done it for forty yesrs

It seemed to work, last I was in college and working full-time job.

I don't usually sleep more than that a night though after a few weeks I may slip in a longer period of time. It called being old.

We worked 24/7 in the steel mill and you would`ve been shit-canned. Your co-workers wouldn`t back you up and neither would the union.

You work 24/7?

Can you be a little more specific about how many hours you slept and how many hours you worked. Obviously nobody works 24/7.

The irony about work is I was top performer, either 1 or 2 since the first three months I started there, occassionally drop down to 5 in a month. This, after little sleep and operating with immense pain and sometimes even numbness down the left side of my face. A few times I said "I have to go home early" but I stuck it out.

Ultimately, seeing enough in my life for those who sacrificed so much for little in return, a person has to put their health above all else. In a system as corrupt as the one in which I live, this is difficult since the very apparatuses we are dependent on are the most abusive and immoral. Including our healthcare. People who feign an oath, until the Security Industrial Complex demands they comply.

You work 24/7?

Can you be a little more specific about how many hours you slept and how many hours you worked. Obviously nobody works 24/7.

The irony about work is I was top performer, either 1 or 2 since the first three months I started there, occassionally drop down to 5 in a month. This, after little sleep and operating with immense pain and sometimes even numbness down the left side of my face. A few times I said "I have to go home early" but I stuck it out.

Ultimately, seeing enough in my life for those who sacrificed so much for little in return, a person has to put their health above all else. In a system as corrupt as the one in which I live, this is difficult since the very apparatuses we are dependent on are the most abusive and immoral. Including our healthcare. People who feign an oath, until the Security Industrial Complex demands they comply.
I thought Canada had great health care and "took care" of its people?

I thought Canada had great health care and "took care" of its people?
Oh it takes care of some, that's for sure.

I've told you all multiple times, we are the closest system to the old Soviet system. Everything is an oligarch backed by the Security Industrial Complex. You are free if you are not one of the "undesirables".

Don't worry, I read many of the posters on here, your transformation to our system is right around the corner. In fact, it is much closer than you believe.

You work 24/7?

Dealing with hot ingots of steel or molten steel isn`t like making widgets on an assembly line. There are no timeouts or lunch breaks. You operate the equipment with a sandwich in your hand if and when you have a chance and you stay at your job until you`re relieved by the next shift. A ladle of molten steel has to be dealt with immediately and the machinery controls your actions. Let the steel harden in the ladle and you`ll face a suspension. Do it again and you`ll be fired. There are no "top performers" in that kind of work.

You must be proud to give your life for the place
Retired at the age of 53 and the company gave us an extra $400 a month until your 62nd birthday. God Bless the USWA. I took a seasonal horticulture job for the following 16 years and you`ll hear no whining from me. Speaking of giving a life to the job, 9 men and 1 woman were killed during my time there. Have you ever held a job or are you a career slacker?

Dealing with hot ingots of steel or molten steel isn`t like making widgets on an assembly line. There are no timeouts or lunch breaks. You operate the equipment with a sandwich in your hand if and when you have a chance and you stay at your job until you`re relieved by the next shift. A ladle of molten steel has to be dealt with immediately and the machinery controls your actions. Let the steel harden in the ladle and you`ll face a suspension. Do it again and you`ll be fired. There are no "top performers" in that kind of work.

So you were doing that work with 3 hours of sleep?

I get 4 to 5 a night and have no issues.

You should attempt naps during the day if all you are getting is 3 to 5 at night

Typically 5 hours a night.

If I slept more than that, I would be useless and sluggish the rest of day.

On the midnight shift, 4-5 hours was all I could sleep during the daytime. A body just isn`t geared for those kinds of hours. People who worked that shift steady found it much easier to get 6-7 hours of sleep. Most of us worked all 3 shifts.
I don't care for your politics, but respect for doing a job like that for that long.

Some folks seem to function fine on 4 hours of sleep. I can't but my Grandfather did all his life, Trump does it and apparently many others can as well.

Forum List

Back