Human cloning in near future?

Clone me. Transplant the brain.

Who knows. 150 years ago we had no tv. No ac. No planes. No electricity. No spaceships. People died from infected scratches.

In 50 years....who knows how far we will go.

Just 'cause folks can get slower folk to pay for stuff don't mean the kinks are worked out fully.

"Another feature of cloning differentiating a clone from the original is altered epigenetics: primarily alterations to DNA and histones that result in changes in gene expression, which importantly can result in changes in appearance and behavior. Since epigenetics is different in different tissues, and changes over the course of an animals life the original pattern of gene expression that produced a particular animal is distorted in its clone, particularly if the tissue used for cloning was taken when the animal was older.[11] Finally, currently most cloning techniques poorly preserve epigenetic modifications (though there are some that are better—for example altering epigenetics is a primary mode by which dedifferentiation techniques dedifferentiate cells, so expect a somewhat different phenotype with these). The bottom line being that while a cloned animal may be more similar to the original than its sibling, it will not be as similar as an identical twin (whose epigenetics are very similar); and there may be ways of mitigating these differences to some extent."

Pet cloning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmm

Wish I could live long enough to clone Lynda Carter, Raquel Welch, Sandra Bullock, and a few other actresses.

Just 'cause folks can get slower folk to pay for stuff don't mean the kinks are worked out fully.

"Another feature of cloning differentiating a clone from the original is altered epigenetics: primarily alterations to DNA and histones that result in changes in gene expression, which importantly can result in changes in appearance and behavior. Since epigenetics is different in different tissues, and changes over the course of an animals life the original pattern of gene expression that produced a particular animal is distorted in its clone, particularly if the tissue used for cloning was taken when the animal was older.[11] Finally, currently most cloning techniques poorly preserve epigenetic modifications (though there are some that are better—for example altering epigenetics is a primary mode by which dedifferentiation techniques dedifferentiate cells, so expect a somewhat different phenotype with these). The bottom line being that while a cloned animal may be more similar to the original than its sibling, it will not be as similar as an identical twin (whose epigenetics are very similar); and there may be ways of mitigating these differences to some extent."

Hit and miss typical government way.

Hit and miss typical government way.

Actually that's how science moves forward, but ok. Govt? Jesus.

If they were to do human cloning, how very many would suffer ill affects and failures until they got it to a level where it would be difficult to attribute it to the cloning?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if someone who really isn't here anymore were to be cloned, would the clone be alive or would it be just like the original person?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Well of course the clone would be alive, and it would not be the original either, it would be unique to itself. One cannot recreate a person exactly, the human brain isn't "repeatable." You can have twins who have completely different tastes and grow up with different personalities despite having the same environment, this is the "randomness" of human existence. Tiny chemical fluctuations, a minor developmental alteration in the womb... or well tube I guess in this case, or any number of different experiences that change how that person views things and thus reacts. Every person is a one-of-a-kind that can never be replicated exactly.

Well of course the clone would be alive, and it would not be the original either, it would be unique to itself. One cannot recreate a person exactly, the human brain isn't "repeatable." You can have twins who have completely different tastes and grow up with different personalities despite having the same environment, this is the "randomness" of human existence. Tiny chemical fluctuations, a minor developmental alteration in the womb... or well tube I guess in this case, or any number of different experiences that change how that person views things and thus reacts. Every person is a one-of-a-kind that can never be replicated exactly.

I suspect that in the future there will be cloned human beings grown without their cerebral cortex so that they could avoid laws regarding the killing of a person.

The danger of course is that we would be constructing a new legal constituency for the left.

Organ donors? There are already "don't play god" laws on the books regarding human cloning across the USA. The ethical uproar of growing entire human bodies for harvesting would prevent it, and really it would be unwarranted to do so; selective growth of stem cells can reproduce a living organs to meet transplant needs. It is only human arrogance that even allows the cloning of pets without ethical uproar. I've always found it a bit funny how folks see the "lesser" creatures as completely expendable, yet cannot even fathom that some humans animals are "unworthy" of existence just the same. Consciousness, they claim, is the standard of "worth" somehow, and yet it is clear that all animals share consciousness. What makes us better than animals that we could decide their fates? I used to think it was just an egotistical belief in God or something, but it is outside the realm of spiritual folks as well. I find it a curious facet of the mind and I rather think that this ego is an extension of the desire to be more than merely animals, as though by thinking it, it becomes true; and I suppose when one looks at religion, for example, it could certainly be validly argued. In the deeper question of non-human ethics, I too believe that humans have the right as the dominant species, Darwin and all that - though I at least acknowledge that it's inherently selfish.

They're going to have the clones serve as organ donors and test dummies

Forum List

Back