Human Potential and the 2 hour marathon.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
There was a show on the other day on the attempt to break the 2 hour marathon barrier. For non runners I know that doesn't mean anything but I can assure you this borders on super human. I watched in awe as Eliud Kipchoge came within 25 seconds of breaking the 2 hour barrier. He had to average 13 miles an hour for 2 hours to come that close. I have run many marathons and doing that is beyond my comprehension. If you are a relatively good athlete go to a track and run 1 mile as fast as you can. If you are in great shape you can maybe do it in 6 minutes. This guy averaged 4:36 per mile for 26 miles!

"So what?" you say. Well I think what the 2 hour marathon barrier is really about is finding out what is humanly achievable. Nearly all of us spend our entire lives and never even come close to pushing the limits of our potential, physically or mentally. It's no wonder why. We are bombarded with messages every day on shortcuts, easy way outs, excuses and blame. It is no wonder we get lazier, fatter, poorer, and angrier with each passing year. I say how about instead of making excuses for yourself and your present situation whatever it is, try something different. Try to make it through ONE DAY without an excuse, a rationalization or a short cut. Can you do it? If you can do that, then set a goal for yourself that you think is beyond your capability and then do it. It can be financial, athletic, academic, artistic whatever you like. Come up with a plan and execute your plan. No excuses, just do it. You might be surprised what you are capable of.

Forum List

Back