Hurricane Irma: Florida sheriff who threatened arrest at shelters is sued

Tough on law and order, very much pro gun. I'm guessing he's a Republican, but his bio and the articles I've read don't mention his political persuasion.
Grady Judd, Florida sheriff, urges residents to carry guns: ‘Ducks need to shoot back’

Politifact says he's a Republican, but I can't read any of the supporting links they used.
Grady Judd's file

local officials do not necessarily have to claim, or aren't even able to claim, party affiliation

I will grant you that the guy is probably a republican though...

I would not have announced background checks, but I WOULD have had photos of the top 15 most wanted in Florida & would have pulled anyone aside that looked like the people in the photos

I agree with the sentiment; but feel that his aggressive enforcement & proclamation were unwise

It appears the sheriff was denying at least some sex offenders access to shelters, although they were provided shelter at the jail. Specifying sexual predators and child sex offenders is a bit better than just saying anyone on the sex offender list, but it still makes me wonder why you never hear that convicted non-sexual child abusers, or batterers, or murderers will get the same sort of treatment.
My post, which you quoted, contradicts your post. >>

"He simply said he would arrest people who have an outstanding warrant, who tried to seek shelter from Hurricane Irma."

He didn't say only sex offender warrants.

It appears the sheriff was denying at least some sex offenders access to shelters, although they were provided shelter at the jail. Specifying sexual predators and child sex offenders is a bit better than just saying anyone on the sex offender list, but it still makes me wonder why you never hear that convicted non-sexual child abusers, or batterers, or murderers will get the same sort of treatment.
My post, which you quoted, contradicts your post. >>

"He simply said he would arrest people who have an outstanding warrant, who tried to seek shelter from Hurricane Irma."

He didn't say only sex offender warrants.

Your post may contradict mine, but I was quoting from the OP article. I wasn't just posting an opinion, I was pointing out what the article said, which is that certain sex offenders were kept out of shelters and, instead, were sheltered in the jail. I'll repost the quote:
“We check everyone who comes to a shelter to ensure they aren't a sexual predator or a child sexual offender,” he said. “We are absolutely not going to let a sexual predator or a child sexual offender sleep next to a child in a storm shelter.”

Judd said Sunday 43 sex offenders in Polk County were being sheltered in an area of the jail that is not behind bars, and they are not in custody.

That seems to be the sheriff saying that sexual offenders, at least certain types of sexual offenders, were being denied access to the shelters. They were instead sent to the jail, although not arrested.

That seems to be the sheriff saying that sexual offenders, at least certain types of sexual offenders, were being denied access to the shelters. They were instead sent to the jail, although not arrested.
I can't imagine that they were not arrested (if they were guilty of a crime CURRENTLY)

I can't imagine that they were not arrested (if they were guilty of a crime CURRENTLY)

I don't think those particular comments by the sheriff were about people with warrants. Instead, they seem to be about people on the sex offenders list as sexual predators or child sexual offenders. :dunno:

I don't think those particular comments by the sheriff were about people with warrants. Instead, they seem to be about people on the sex offenders list as sexual predators or child sexual offenders. :dunno:
It's good that he was thinking of PROTECTING the innocent people especially children, rather than the creeps who offend. Thank you, Sheriff Judd.

It's good that he was thinking of PROTECTING the innocent people especially children, rather than the creeps who offend. Thank you, Sheriff Judd.

But why protect only from sex offenders? Are sex offenders more dangerous than, say, murderers? I haven't seen anything about murderers being denied access to shelters.

I'm not opposed to protecting the public, but I don't understand why sex offenders are allowed out of prison if they are such a danger to re-offend (something that is not actually clear), and why it is only sex offenders that get such a list.

But why protect only from sex offenders? Are sex offenders more dangerous than, say, murderers? I haven't seen anything about murderers being denied access to shelters.

I'm not opposed to protecting the public, but I don't understand why sex offenders are allowed out of prison if they are such a danger to re-offend (something that is not actually clear), and why it is only sex offenders that get such a list.

This was answered in Post # 22. Are you reading the thread ?

This was answered in Post # 22. Are you reading the thread ?

I am, and it was not. The question of why sex offenders are allowed out of prison if they are such a danger to re-offend is not answered by telling me the sheriff planned to arrest those with outstanding warrants. The question of why sex offenders get a special list, but murderers do not, is not answered by telling me the sheriff planned to arrest those with outstanding warrants.

Based on the OP article, there were sex offenders kept from the shelters, instead put in the jail, who did not have outstanding warrants. You seem to be having a problem understanding this. Sex offender registries are not for people with outstanding warrants. They are for people convicted of certain crimes. I question why only those crimes get a registry.

The sheriff said nothing about checking the criminal backgrounds of all people trying to get into shelters and keeping out murderers, child abusers, spouse abusers, or any criminals other than sex offenders.

The sheriff said the person suing is just looking for free press, but I have to wonder if the sheriff was doing the same when he announced they would deny sex offenders entry into shelters.

I would deny entrance to certain sex offenders

anyone who rapes or abuses a child should already be dead anyway
I work with a sex offender.

He pissed in some shrubbery while drunk.

Forum List

Back