I Almost Died Today and My Thoughts On Cops May Have Changed

You're a lucky man Blue...glad you are ok :)

I had something similar...I passed out while driving, crossed the other side of the interstate and hit an abandoned car...fortunately. Car totaled, but I hit no person, I was ok and my dog was ok.

One you experience it you can understand it. One moment you are perfectly fine, and suddenly you hear a KA_BANG and you look around thinking "what just happened and how did I get here?" You are shaking like crazy and your mouth dries up like cotton...and you have no idea how you went from point A (where you were totally fine) to point B wondering what just happened.

I have tried to explain it to my family and they simply don't understand the experience.

That's very much like it was for me...it was like waking up from a dream with a "bang" and I thought what the fuck. I was damn damn lucky. I know now what caused it but you, sweetheart, need to get checked out :)

That's it exactly. It was like a dream. I staggered out of the car and looked at it and thought "how did I get here? Is this real? I feel like this isn't real." You totally nailed it

Ya...that is how it was. Years ago and I still remember the unreality and the sound of the car hitting. Thank goodness everyone was really really nice.

I can still smell the airbag. Two days later...almost three and i can still smell that pungent, smoky, almost electrical odor

You're a lucky man Blue...glad you are ok :)

I had something similar...I passed out while driving, crossed the other side of the interstate and hit an abandoned car...fortunately. Car totaled, but I hit no person, I was ok and my dog was ok.

One you experience it you can understand it. One moment you are perfectly fine, and suddenly you hear a KA_BANG and you look around thinking "what just happened and how did I get here?" You are shaking like crazy and your mouth dries up like cotton...and you have no idea how you went from point A (where you were totally fine) to point B wondering what just happened.

I have tried to explain it to my family and they simply don't understand the experience.

That's very much like it was for me...it was like waking up from a dream with a "bang" and I thought what the fuck. I was damn damn lucky. I know now what caused it but you, sweetheart, need to get checked out :)

That's it exactly. It was like a dream. I staggered out of the car and looked at it and thought "how did I get here? Is this real? I feel like this isn't real." You totally nailed it

Ya...that is how it was. Years ago and I still remember the unreality and the sound of the car hitting. Thank goodness everyone was really really nice.

I started this thread not because I got in a wreck, but because of how everyone handled it. Maybe this is going a bit overboard but I saw what people are willing to do when they see another person in that kind of situation. I have been thinking about it and it really gave me a lot of hope for how people will help each other. I have been on the other end...helping people in that situation. I saw a car wreck once and thank God I was certified in CPR and performed it on her because she was TOTALLY fucked up. There was no pulse, no breathing. She lived.

So I have experienced it from the perspective of the one helping but never from the one being helped. The people were great and the cops were fucking INCREDIBLE. Very caring, very patient. I have been so critical of cops because of how they are in Arizona, so my motivation for this thread was not so much about the wreck but more about how I have to change my stance on the police.

Arizona cops may still suck...but the Portland Police....I gained a total respect for them just like I was raised to

I was raised in Lewiston, Idaho and taught to respect the police....and I did. Then I moved to Phoenix, Arizona and got a very different taste about what the police were all about. I grew to hate them because they were just another gang in a battle against gangbangers and us law abiding people were caught in between.

I used to tell my friends from out of state that Arizona cops do not discriminate. That's total bullshit. They don't harass Mexicans, falsify evidence against Hispanics, lie on the stand against Hispanics...they do that to EVERYONE whether you are Hispanic or not.

Then I moved to Oregon and my hatred of the police followed me.

Then this morning I got into a car wreck....a bad one. On other threads I have posted about "God moments" where there is no other explanation but divine intervention. I have no idea how I am alive right now and I have no idea how someone didn't get killed.

I just blacked out. I was driving perfectly fine just like any other day. I wasn't drunk,I wasn't hung over, I was fully rested so I wasn't tired....I was coughing...I started coughing very hard and it wouldn't stop....then I just passed out.

My next memory is the airbag in my face and me shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. I have no idea what happened.

By the grace of God I survived and no one else was hurt. My car is totally destroyed but I am alive and no one else was hurt.

The cops at the scene were AWESOME. They took care of me, took care of the situation. They didn't understand why I would just black out like that so they tested me...I blew a 0.0 LOL I wasn't under the influence. But they were really incredible.

I am glad to be alive today. i am glad I didn't kill anyone today. And the police were so awesome....maybe I don't hate them anymore.

Thank you to the Portland Oregon Police Department
Ive had braunchitis and caughed myself into passing out. One time I was in the middle of a 3 lane road and it happened. I just put on the breaks and drove 5 miles an hour till I came out of it.

Probably you and I cut off oxygen to the brain. Head rush.

Yep. That was it

I was raised in Lewiston, Idaho and taught to respect the police....and I did. Then I moved to Phoenix, Arizona and got a very different taste about what the police were all about. I grew to hate them because they were just another gang in a battle against gangbangers and us law abiding people were caught in between.

I used to tell my friends from out of state that Arizona cops do not discriminate. That's total bullshit. They don't harass Mexicans, falsify evidence against Hispanics, lie on the stand against Hispanics...they do that to EVERYONE whether you are Hispanic or not.

Then this morning I got into a car wreck....a bad one. On other threads I have posted about "God moments" where there is no other explanation but divine intervention. I have no idea how I am alive right now and I have no idea how someone didn't get killed.

I just blacked out. I was driving perfectly fine just like any other day. I wasn't drunk,I wasn't hung over, I was fully rested so I wasn't tired....I was coughing...I started coughing very hard and it wouldn't stop....then I just passed out.

My next memory is the airbag in my face and me shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. I have no idea what happened.

By the grace of God I survived and no one else was hurt. My car is totally destroyed but I am alive and no one else was hurt.

The cops at the scene were AWESOME. They took care of me, took care of the situation. They didn't understand why I would just black out like that so they tested me...I blew a 0.0 LOL I wasn't under the influence. But they were really incredible.

I am glad to be alive today. i am glad I didn't kill anyone today. And the police were so awesome....maybe I don't hate them anymore.

I'm glad the story had a happy ending.

The message is clear: act responsibly .. either give up smoking or your car keys.

The message is clear: act responsibly .. either give up smoking or your car keys.

Well you know, I have never heard of anything like this. I am sure it has happened before. The cops checked me out for alcohol and drugs because usually people don't just black out at the wheel unless they are under the influence. So it was totally reasonable for them to check me out in that regard.

We all know smoking will kill you, but like THAT? Creating a coughing attack so severe that you pass out? I have never heard of such a thing. But I am taking the lesson.....time to quit

Well you know, I have never heard of anything like this. I am sure it has happened before. The cops checked me out for alcohol and drugs because usually people don't just black out at the wheel unless they are under the influence. So it was totally reasonable for them to check me out in that regard.

We all know smoking will kill you, but like THAT? Creating a coughing attack so severe that you pass out? I have never heard of such a thing. But I am taking the lesson.....time to quit

I spoke to my buddy God about you and he agrees that it is time for you to quit too 'cuz next time you might not be so lucky. ;)

The vast majority of cops are good people and do help people in trouble.

As far as blacking out is concerned it can take many different forms and what you experienced can be better explained by a professional so sign up to see one and go through all of the testing. If you need help giving up please feel free to reach out to me. As an ex-smoker I know that what you are about to go through is probably one of the toughest things you have ever done and it really sucks. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is worth the effort in so many ways you can't even imagine.

My brother just had this start happening to him, passed out during a football game and scared his wife who immediately scheduled a Dr visit

There is definitely something wrong. Healthy people don't just pass out for no reason. i know what it was. i smoke a lot and I have coughing fits in the mornings to clear my lungs. When that happens it's just like hyperventilating. You lose oxygen to your brain and you black out. That's what happened.

Couldn't it have happened when I was doing something other than driving though? LOL. Everyone knows smoking will kill you but to have this happen because of smoking? I never would have thought it

He's a heavy smoker too.......let ya know what the doc says
I've never heard of this before. Do you think it is possible that they are putting something in the tobacco now that is causing people to have such a reaction? I've seen people have a coughing fit before but I've never heard of someone passing out over it.

and yet we have not heard of this doctors appt or total physical? is there a reason you are being a stubborn man over this?

I spoke to my buddy God about you and he agrees that it is time for you to quit too 'cuz next time you might not be so lucky. ;)

As far as blacking out is concerned it can take many different forms and what you experienced can be better explained by a professional so sign up to see one and go through all of the testing. If you need help giving up please feel free to reach out to me. As an ex-smoker I know that what you are about to go through is probably one of the toughest things you have ever done and it really sucks. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is worth the effort in so many ways you can't even imagine.

That is the difference between doing it alone and letting God help you. You should have asked God to help you with that, De. It didn't need to be the toughest thing in your life. When I quit smoking I told the LORD I had made up my mind to quit and wanted him to help me get through it. I never even felt any withdraw symptoms. Nothing. It was as if I had never smoked in my life. I'm free today and if I see someone smoking? I think what a disgusting habit, I cannot believe I ever did that! I've heard that testimony again and again from Christians who made up their mind to quit smoking. They prayed to God, asked for His help and were delivered.

That is the power of prayer. My advice to Blue is go to God, ask Him for deliverance and tell Him that he has made up his mind never to smoke again.

I have no idea how I avoided going straight into the center of that restaurant. You know how you see news stories about people who drive their cars into beauty salons, convenience stores, etc? I missed it by a foot. The cops and i looked at the tire tracks and we couldn't make sense of it. The tire tracks just turned at the last moment. There was nothing there to change my direction...for some reason I just turned at the last moment. I was heading straight for those windows and my car would have been right into the dining room with those people in there....and somehow I veered left and missed it by a foot. I smacked that rock and I had no idea how I got there.

There were so many cars...so many people around....how did i cross over two lanes, miss a telephone pole by inches, heading straight for the dining room of the restaurant and somehow veer left and hit a rock to stop me?

Hey Derideo_Te are you sure that is blind stupid luck?

Glad to hear that you are OK and that no one was injured. Yes, take the advice of everyone else and give up smoking because next time you might not be so lucky. Have a full work up too and start taking care of your body. You only have this one and if you don't take care of it no one else will.

Per your question above, no, it wasn't "blind stupid luck". Instead that was your body's instinctive reaction to danger. Your conscience brain was still recovering but your reptilian brain (limbic system) was reacting instinctively via reflexes to avoid the peril posed by the oncoming building.

Many decades ago I was out with friends and I was driving. I had turned to ask one of them who was in the back seat a question when my foot reflexively jammed down on the brake pedal instinctively and I avoided hitting a car that had just pulled out into traffic right in front of me.

How did I know that was happening when I was looking the other way? I didn't know but my reptilian brain picked up his eyes widening and my body reacted instinctively by reflexively hitting the brakes as I turned around to see why I needed to stop. Now I never turn my head to look behind me unless I am backing up.

More reading on instincts and reflexes.

Top 10 Human Reflexes and Natural Instincts - Listverse

Vestibulo-Ocular Reflex

Did you ever wonder how humans are able to move their heads from left to right and still focus on visual images? The vestibulo-ocular reflex (VOR) is a human reflex movement that stabilizes images on the retina. It accomplishes this by producing a rapid eye movement in the direction opposite to the head movement. For example, when the human head moves to the right, the eyes move to the left, and vice versa. The VOR is vital because people are constantly making small head movements. Individuals who have an impaired VOR usually can’t read because small head movements blur the image.

The VOR works in total darkness and when the eyes are closed. The reflex is one of the fastest in the human body. It has been estimated that the eye movements lag the head movements by less than 10 milliseconds. Today, the VOR can be tested by doctors with the caloric reflex test, which involves injecting cold water, warm water, or air into the ear. When you inject water into the ear, the VOR is automatically triggered. A healthy cerebellum is also essential to the VOR in order to ensure accurate eye movements. People who experience brain damage to the cerebellum often have complicated problems with visual comprehension.

Interesting Fact: Did you ever wonder why you shouldn’t drink and drive? Ethanol (alcohol) consumption can disrupt the VOR, greatly reducing your ability to see. The more intoxicated you become the more blurry your vision is.

The Intuitive Compass

What nonsense. It was the grace of God. Very simple. Don't overthink it.

Not sure why we would of expected anything different from the police at a crash scene. Wasn't like they were responding to a robbery at a liquor store.

Cops are good people for the most part

-Geaux

Not sure why we would of expected anything different from the police at a crash scene. Wasn't like they were responding to a robbery at a liquor store.

Cops are good people for the most part

-Geaux
According to some research done years ago, the statistics were (at that time) less than 1/2 of 1% of police officers dishonor their badge. At the time they had a better record than ministers. It is a very special person that decides to become a police officer. Every day they go to work not knowing if they will come home that evening. Something many people do not consider.

That is the difference between doing it alone and letting God help you. You should have asked God to help you with that, De. It didn't need to be the toughest thing in your life. When I quit smoking I told the LORD I had made up my mind to quit and wanted him to help me get through it. I never even felt any withdraw symptoms. Nothing. It was as if I had never smoked in my life...

God helps those who help themselves and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I too quit a 2 pack/day habit cold turkey and not only never looked back, I lost 10 pounds.

It was as if I had never smoked and I did not pray for God's help.

I figure She's way too busy helping those who need it more than me.

thank god you are all right and you need to do something nice for the cops

If they didn't smell alcohol there was was no reasonable Suspicion to test you for Alcohol.

"No one just Blacks Out like that"

Bullshit.

That is the difference between doing it alone and letting God help you. You should have asked God to help you with that, De. It didn't need to be the toughest thing in your life. When I quit smoking I told the LORD I had made up my mind to quit and wanted him to help me get through it. I never even felt any withdraw symptoms. Nothing. It was as if I had never smoked in my life. I'm free today and if I see someone smoking? I think what a disgusting habit, I cannot believe I ever did that! I've heard that testimony again and again from Christians who made up their mind to quit smoking. They prayed to God, asked for His help and were delivered.

That is the power of prayer. My advice to Blue is go to God, ask Him for deliverance and tell Him that he has made up his mind never to smoke again.
I have suggested that method as well and one I learned from a great biblical teacher/counselor/pastor. He said every time you put one in your mouth confess "thank you Lord that I have quit smoking" even though you are doing the very thing you are confessing deliverance from. Same with any other addiction one may have. It won't take long before it is gone but the key is consistency in declaring it every single time.

I do not want to derail this discussion but I do have to comment on something...How can someone believe humans have an ancient mind set of instinct or "reptile" but refuse to believe in God? I would even accept someone saying "gee I do not know how this happened" rather than give some explanation that makes no sense to me. Not sure about anyone else but I have never seen people who are passed out maneuvering a car. I would suggest someone needs to que up some Carrie Underwood "Jesus Take the Wheel"

Police are a service we pay for through our taxes.

In spite of the stupid claims by some that they represent socialism...they simply represent civilization.

Glad you are O.K.

Glad your experience with the police was good.

I've never met a police officer I didn't have a lot of respect for.

My hatred for the police started with Arizona....my ex-wife was basically crazy. Oh i was thrilled when she told me she was "bi"....I just wish she would have told me the next part was "polar". One night she got her crazy on and started attacking me, I mean really beating the shit out of me and I wasn't doing anything to her. When the cops arrived she started running around crying and claiming I was beating HER. The cops didn't just arrest me...they slammed my head into the car frame as they were "guiding me" into the car, they slammed my face into the bars and kept saying "so you want to hit a woman, huh? Here's what happens". They really worked me over.

I never laid a finger on her and those pigs had a very good time beating the shit out of me when in reality it was my ex that was the one getting crazy. That's when I learned to hate cops. It wasnt that they arrested me...I get that...they have to diffuse the situation and so someone has to go away....but they really worked me over and it wasn't me...it was her.

Can you blame me for having anger for them?
Wow.

There must have been some sort of news article about this.

Can you give us the date and location?

Forum List

Back