I am America, the weary.

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Dear We The People,

I am America. For 237 years I have stood and fallen, wept in sorrow and cried for joy as my existence took on new form and meaning. My soul was was won by a group of brave dissidents who opposed the tyranny of a British King. They declared, "We are our own nation! We are free and independent. We are united under one banner. We are the United States of America!"

They entrusted my care to your ancestors, and eventually to you. My governance was placed under the watchful eye of a worthy leader and President, and my whims placed in the hands of a Congress and Senate of duly elected representatives of the people for whom I came to eventually embrace in my bosom. A Supreme Court was established to gauge the fairness of the laws which constituted my governance. And finally, the path that I walked was ultimately left up to the common man. I was once a country of the people, for the people, and by the people.

For a time, I was a beacon of hope for every man, woman, and child on Planet Earth. A ray of light that the world could steer itself by. But, I fear that I am no longer revered as I once was. Nowadays, I have grown weary with grief and wracked with a divided conscience. My legs tremble under the burden of a great debt I cannot repay. What was once a clear path for me has become clouded. The strain on my being is unbearable. My reputation has been repeatedly tarnished in the eyes of this world. My strength is unrivaled and my might is exceedingly great, and it was at one time respected and feared, but I find this power abused by haughty men. I am slowly being eaten away from within.

I once believed in a higher power, a master of a universe that extended beyond my own influence, an Almighty God to whom I owed my creation and existence. But I find myself doubting him and his grace, I am being slowly turned against him by secular force. I was once a bastion of freedom for all races, religions, and cultures. Yet all I hear of these days is of intolerance, inequality and injustice.

I begin to wonder what my caretakers were thinking sometimes, as I watch you fight amongst yourselves. "These men were crazy to think this would last" I sometimes wonder. Who are these Democrats and Republicans? They seem not to walk a clear path themselves, but seem to know what's best for my future. They seem to be as conflicted as I am.

Oh yes, I used to be a great protector of Democracy in this world. But it seems now all I do is unwittingly lend my power to my enemies, and shun my allies. But what is this I hear? Am I going to war again? This war in Syria according to my progenitors would not be in my best interests. But as they felt my fate was better left up to you the people, why have you not stopped me from making a critical mistake? Can you not for once steer me on a clear path? Why am I now seen as weak and feckless, with so much power seen as indecisive?

I am America, and I look for a future free of torment, one not of conflict but of unity. I look for a generation who will lead me out of the darkness, and restore me to my former glory. I go now, slogging through the muck and the mire as best I can, hoping for a better path and a better tomorrow.

Weary as I am, I still love you and wish you all the best,

America

Last edited:

Forum List

Back