I am an atheist.

If you are hungry, I will offer you food.
If you are thirsty, I will offer water.
If you are cold, I will offer warmth.
If you are in need, ask and I will give.
If you are in trouble, ask and I will help.

I do not do this things in hope of being rewarded, or out of fear of being punished. I do these things, because I know them to be right. I set my own standards, and I, alone, enforce them...

...I am an atheist.
It's almost like you think there is some common moral decency that everyone knows about and follows.

The hell you say.

I do not do this things in hope of being rewarded, or out of fear of being punished. I do these things, because I know them to be right. I set my own standards, and I, alone, enforce them...

...I am an atheist.

You sound like a humanist.
Humanists can be theist or nontheist,
Christian or nonchristian, atheist antitheist or protheist.
While not a Humanists, I do agree with some of their positions.

As for being atheist Czernobog
Do you just "not believe in any PERSONFIED god"?
Are you okay if people define God to mean
the forces of Life, Nature or the Universe?
If "people" define the universe that way? Sure. Why wouldn't I be? People can define God to be whatever they like, and can believe in God in whatever way they see fit. Now, if you are asking if I would define the universe as such, no. The universe is the universe, nothing more nothing less. Why should I feel the need to attach another label to the universe, since I already know what it is - the universe?

Do you believe there are self-existing laws
of Nature or Life that govern our universe including humanity?
If you mean the physical laws of the universe, of course I believe that. Science demonstrates that. If you mean, mean moral laws, then no. To suggest that "The Universe" designed some set of rules implies that the universe ;possesses a sentience for which there is no evidence.

If you believe we share responsibility for collective good will
in the universe and among humanity, that's still faith in something.
I have faith in a great many things. The difference is that those faiths are faiths built on reason.

Do you believe that focusing on good will and good intent
is better for producing good outcomes than focusing on bad will or bad intent
For myself? Sure. As a "universal principle"? No. I would not presume as much.

Do you believe that forgiveness is more conducive to correcting
preventing and understanding causes of problems or conflicts,
rather than taking a retributive approach with negative focus or energy?
Not necessarily. I have a great deal of respect for retributive actions.

It usually does when I'm dealing with sanctimonious trolls.

You weren't being "sanctimonious"?
Well, since sanctimony is making a hypocritical show of religious devotion, and my OP was demonstrably devoid of any religious trappings, the answer to your asinine question would be, "No," Thank you for playing. Have a nice day. Do feel free to pick up your parting gifts on the way out.

...I am an atheist.

Wow! No shit? Man, there is like no waaay we could have known that!:eusa_dance:

...I am an atheist.
You are not an atheist. There is no such thing as an atheist. There are those who acknowledge the truth and those who don't.
Fuck off. Yeah. I know that's rude, but that's all I have for an arrogant dickwad who presumes to tell me what I do, and do not believe.

So, yeah. Fuck off. If you ever decide that you'd like to have a civilised discussion, by all means, let me know.

hqdefault.jpg
It usually does when I'm dealing with sanctimonious trolls.

Bully for you! Do you want a cigar or a blowtorch to light it with? Those that seek to do service for others don't feel the need to advertise it. Nothing takes away from doing good for others than by standing up and wanting recognition and appaluse for having done it...........capiche'?
And another pompous ass missing the point. I didn't post the OP for milk, and cookies. I posted it to point out that one does not need religious indoctrination to do good.

My post merely expresses the fact that I do not need religion - of any flavour - to develop morality...

You are mistaken. Morality comes from God, not you. Let me guess, you support the murder of the unborn. Am I correct? Life that was given to them by God and you believe it's fine to murder them and, yet, you believe yourself to have full knowledge of all that is "moral". Right? You sir, are a FOOL.
Well, now, MACAULAY , is this the "humoility", and tolerance of Christians of which you were speaking?
______

He's got his moral rules, as do you.

I don't care what either one of you believe. I just sensed a bit of moral superiority in you....and a contempt for anyone who think differently...which has now been proven far more effectually than I ever expected.

You started this crap...your arrogance...and so you are responsible for all that comes after.
My contempt isn't for people who follow religion. My contempt is for those who think that just because I,as an atheist, do not follow a religion, I am incapable of doing good. And whether you choose to see it, or not, there are a great many theists who believe exactly that.

Sir:

I don't care how you arrived at a belief that doing the right thing was the right thing to do. Maybe Epictetus or Epicurus or Buddha any number of others--philosophers, religious people...perhaps you figured it all out on your own.

Congratulations...however, in any event.

But the need to announce you have come to know Good by way of Atheism, could be interpreted as implying that it is the only pure way to the same conclusion. I'll take Goodness from people without questioning how they came to think "Good" is a good idea.

A true Christian may do good in hopes of achieving Heaven {possibly/probably an illusion}; but a true Christian is also very humble...and practices Humility and does his good deeds obscurely--which of course means his has no need to brag on his Goodness on an internet board.
There will be many people, on Judgement Day, telling God all about their good works. Won't do them any good.
...or there won't...

...I am an atheist.
The fact that you feel the need to claim this to strangers on a forum either shows that it's false, or you believe other atheists wouldn't do the same. As a matter of fact, most people don't care if you're some form of religious or an atheist, we're all just people.

Besides, this was proven false months ago when I posted about a friend of mine becoming homeless, begging for help, and you were nowhere to be seen. Most people don't help others in need, the chance of being robbed is drastically higher than that of the person legitimately needing help.
Oh, fuck off! You know damned well why an atheist would post this declaration. As to your friend, first, I don't monitor my discussion groups all that closely, looking for pleas of help. Second, even if I had seen it, your damned right I'm not going to offer to "help" some anonymous fucktard on an internet discussion board claiming to need assistance for some alleged homeless "friend". I'll stick to helping the actual people that I see every day, just as I have been doing.

...I am an atheist.
It's almost like you think there is some common moral decency that everyone knows about and follows.

The hell you say.
I might at that. And guess what? Myths, and fairy tales are not necessary to arrive at it.

Picture that...

Do you believe there are self-existing laws
of Nature or Life that govern our universe including humanity?

If you mean the physical laws of the universe, of course I believe that. Science demonstrates that. If you mean, mean moral laws, then no. To suggest that "The Universe" designed some set of rules implies that the universe ;possesses a sentience for which there is no evidence.

There are moral laws that exist.

Consciousness is a phenomenon of nature and is subject to evolution. People evolve in their thoughts and behaviors. They do so by receiving feedback from their behaviors. Lessons are learned or mistakes are repeated until they are learned. There is even a morality progression where we progress in virtue. Virtue is the greatest organizing principle known to man. Birds of a feather do flock together. Virtuous behavior leads to order, harmony and peace within a community and is a functional advantage which naturally leads to success. Communities devoid of virtue are disorderly and chaotic and naturally lead to failure. So just like matter complexified until it made the leap to life, and life complexified until it made the leap to consciousness, consciousness will evolve too until it is ready to make the next evolutionary leap.

All one has to do to know this is true is to look at their own life experiences to see how they have grown as a human being. Successful behaviors naturally lead to success and failed behaviors naturally lead to failure. All behaviors do not lead to equal outcomes.

The difference between moral laws and physical laws is that the consequences of violating a physical law is immediate but not so for moral laws. But when you normalize your deviance from the standard of conduct predictable surprises will eventually occur.

So, yes, reason and experience tell us that there are moral laws.

Last edited:

...I am an atheist.

The hell you say.
I might at that. And guess what? Myths, and fairy tales are not necessary to arrive at it.

Picture that...
Now you're learning.

So why then are you reluctant to agree that we are born with an innate sense of right and wrong? That we are hard wired for morality?

And why are you so reluctant to agree that as a rule we progress in morality as we grow as human beings?

Do you believe that forgiveness is more conducive to correcting preventing and understanding causes of problems or conflicts, rather than taking a retributive approach with negative focus or energy?
Not necessarily. I have a great deal of respect for retributive actions.
You are both wrong.

First of all there is a practicality problem of not forgiving people. People make mistakes. We can't kill everyone who makes a mistake. They can't be punished forever. Eventually everyone must move on.

But most importantly forgiveness is something we do for ourselves because it is unhealthy if we don't. The human mind cannot live in conflict. And because you can't go back in time to fix it, the only way to reconcile the conflict is forgiveness.

Confession is even more important.

You sanctimonious shits...

LOL from the guy who believes that HE is the ultimate determiner of what is moral, righteous and good.

There is a creator, aka "God". He alone determines what is moral, righteous and good, not you. Find and follow him.

Because of the fact that religion and ‘god’ are creations of man, manifestations of goodness, decency, and morality can be practiced by anyone separate and apart from religious doctrine and dogma.

You sanctimonious shits...

LOL from the guy who believes that HE is the ultimate determiner of what is moral, righteous and good.

There is a creator, aka "God". He alone determines what is moral, righteous and good, not you. Find and follow him.

... not you.

the judgement is whether the individual attains the knowledge themselves necessary for admission to the Everlasting, in the case of the atheist they have a better chance for admission by living a non pretentious life than those that rely on a 4th century book strewn with forgeries.

Because of the fact that religion and ‘god’ are creations of man, manifestations of goodness, decency, and morality can be practiced by anyone separate and apart from religious doctrine and dogma.
Rather, people have observed God (not created Him). Religion promotes spiritual fitness much like a gym promotes physical fitness. Does one have to follow a fitness program or go to a gym to be physically fit? No, but it certainly helps. Likewise, must one go to synagogue, mosque, or church or follow formal religious practices? No, but it helps.

The most physically fit and the most spiritually fit or usually those whose lives require muscle (be it physical or goodness) on a daily basis

My post merely expresses the fact that I do not need religion - of any flavour - to develop morality...

You are mistaken. Morality comes from God, not you. Let me guess, you support the murder of the unborn. Am I correct? Life that was given to them by God and you believe it's fine to murder them and, yet, you believe yourself to have full knowledge of all that is "moral". Right? You sir, are a FOOL.
Well, now, MACAULAY , is this the "humoility", and tolerance of Christians of which you were speaking?
______

He's got his moral rules, as do you.

I don't care what either one of you believe. I just sensed a bit of moral superiority in you....and a contempt for anyone who think differently...which has now been proven far more effectually than I ever expected.

You started this crap...your arrogance...and so you are responsible for all that comes after.
Sooo...when Christians start a bunch of threads about how brilliant christianity is, and how necessary it is, and spewing a bunch of religious crap, that's "humility", but when an atheist posts a statement about why he doesn't need religion to know right from wrong, he's "arrogant". Brilliant double standard...

...I am an atheist.

The hell you say.

Picture that...
Now you're learning.

So why then are you reluctant to agree that we are born with an innate sense of right and wrong? That we are hard wired for morality?

And why are you so reluctant to agree that as a rule we progress in morality as we grow as human beings?
Oh, I'm not. The problem is that you then allow religion to impose an artificial set of rules, based on an imaginary God, forcing you to follow a bunch of rules that not only are not necessary, but are, in fact, inhibit your ability to enjoy life freely, and encourage you to impose those restridtive rules on others. That's the difference between you, and I. I refuse to allow religion to corrupt what I believe to be right and wrong, while you, apparently, have no problem allowing it to do so.

Forum List

Back