I Hate Walmarts

I'm confused... First off, I don't shop Walmart for much of anything because I find *most* of their quality to be inferior, and they're slowly forcing brand names out of their stores, and replacing them with "Great Value", which really isn't... I go there for things like 5-Hr Energy shots, which NOBODY can beat as far as price..

But if you're trying to boycott them (right before Christmas, even), isn't that going to put several *thousand* people out of work, vs. just 1-2 Mom and Pop places, which are probably on the rocks anyway, since they feel their markup should be higher because they're smaller? :eusa_eh:

Walmart's prices are lower because they are masters at capturing efficiencies of scale at every juncture, from manufacturing to transport to retail pricing.....things that a small, local business cannot do. Let's say you needed a case of paper, Dis. Your local stationer's will sell you American made paper for $15, and Walmarts will sell you Chinese made paper for $12.

Save $3 at Walmarts?

Not when you factor in the unemployment a Walmarts caused when it forced many local small businesses to close (your local stationers' will likely be next), the environmental impact these stores have, the loss of local culture as everything we buy becomes homogenized, etc.

Chances are, your local stationer's is also helping keep that American paper company in business. Once it closes, that plant is in greater jeoprady.

I'm not saying you can always choose to pay more for American....I'm saying there's a terrible, hidden cost to buying foreign-made goods at Walmarts. Mayhaps you can sometimes choose to Buy American?

Using your example alone, my local stationers paper is $16.99 for a single ream of ultra-white 20# paper.

My local Walmarts price is $3.00 for a single ream of ultra-white 20# paper.

That's a savings of $14.00, which is almost 5 gallons of gas, which is 1/3 of what my Rav4 holds.

My local stationer is in the middle of downtown, which is a bunch of small overcrowed curvy streets with angled parking, and you generally have to park a few blocks away from where you want to be, and walk.

My local Walmart is right off the freeway exit, on my way home from work.

Seems both cost, and time efficient to me...

I'd agree, the gap in price is too big. That does not mean there aren't some other local businesses you could patronize, Dis, or that no American made products would fit your budget.

For example, I no longer eat in chain restaurants. I only patronize small, locally owned places. These businesses took a tremendous hit when Ohio banned smoking in 2008, and my dollars help keep them open. My belief is they also treat their wait staff better and that they are more likely to buy locally.

I just urge you to try -- none of can do any more than that.

Maybe it is just me, but at least the walmart employees have a job. At least they are working toward a paycheck instead of going down to the local welfare office and making excuses for a free ride

Agreed. They do allot of good.

I shop at wal-mart because they have the hottest looking cashiers.

large_walmart.jpg

Walmart's prices are lower because they are masters at capturing efficiencies of scale at every juncture, from manufacturing to transport to retail pricing.....things that a small, local business cannot do. Let's say you needed a case of paper, Dis. Your local stationer's will sell you American made paper for $15, and Walmarts will sell you Chinese made paper for $12.

Save $3 at Walmarts?

Not when you factor in the unemployment a Walmarts caused when it forced many local small businesses to close (your local stationers' will likely be next), the environmental impact these stores have, the loss of local culture as everything we buy becomes homogenized, etc.

Chances are, your local stationer's is also helping keep that American paper company in business. Once it closes, that plant is in greater jeoprady.

I'm not saying you can always choose to pay more for American....I'm saying there's a terrible, hidden cost to buying foreign-made goods at Walmarts. Mayhaps you can sometimes choose to Buy American?

Using your example alone, my local stationers paper is $16.99 for a single ream of ultra-white 20# paper.

That's a savings of $14.00, which is almost 5 gallons of gas, which is 1/3 of what my Rav4 holds.

My local stationer is in the middle of downtown, which is a bunch of small overcrowed curvy streets with angled parking, and you generally have to park a few blocks away from where you want to be, and walk.

I'd agree, the gap in price is too big. That does not mean there aren't some other local businesses you could patronize, Dis, or that no American made products would fit your budget.

For example, I no longer eat in chain restaurants. I only patronize small, locally owned places. These businesses took a tremendous hit when Ohio banned smoking in 2008, and my dollars help keep them open. My belief is they also treat their wait staff better and that they are more likely to buy locally.

Madeline, Walmart does sell American made goods.

I don't usually shop at walmart, but there is one at the steelyard commons that is like a city all by itself, gonna go visit it next time I need coffee and stuff :eusa_angel:

Save $3 at Walmarts?

I shop where I'm going to get the best bang for my buck.. The best bang doesn't always mean saving the most money.. I prefer quality over quantity, and if a small local store can offer that, then great - if not, someone else is getting my money.

However, things like paper, cleaning supplies, etc... These things simply get thrown out after they're used - I'm going to get what does the best job for the least amount of money possible. Bammy steals enough of it.

Why don't anyone ever pick on family dollar? :doubt:

LOL! Dollar stores are the best thing since sliced bread... You need a multitude of crap for a party, or gift bags? Hell, go there - you'll be in and out for under $20!

BRISBANE, Calif. -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is going for the jugular in the holiday retailing war, announcing Thursday that it will offer free shipping on nearly 60,000 online items -- with no minimum purchase requirement.
The world's biggest retailer, long known for its low prices, is raising the stakes just over two weeks before Black Friday, viewed as the official kickoff of holiday shopping.

Wal-Mart's free shipping offer, which includes electronics, jewelry and toys, will run through Dec. 20.
Items purchased from the company's website will be delivered to customers' homes within three to five business days from the order's processing via standard shipping. Return shipping is also free, or items can be returned to a local Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart offering free shipping for online buys | cleveland.com

How many small businesses in your community will this kill? Please consider boycotting this company; the products you buy from them are sometimes made by child or slave labor -- which of you needs to save a nickel that badly?

Buy American Made products. Shop locally as much as you can, and support small businesses.

Don't make a Xmas gift out of the suffering of children or enslaved people overseas and your neighbors here.

0_9_6faecc23-3f68-4456-b5ab-92ed83377b7c.jpeg

Got a list of American made products? It's a short list, to be sure.

Not true, you can find some good, high quality and competitively priced products made state side, with an easily google search! Check this website!

https://www.madeinusa.com/?page=topsrch

is the place to BUY STUFF (I don't "shop" around).

There's nothing like the look on your slaves faces when you've announced you've bought 5 lbs of sliced bologna for $0.71/lb and that November will be "Bologna Month!!"

do you have any clue how much time i waste trying to buy american? o and add to that the comments i get. I have one damned cookie sheet cause i cannot find one made in america...i remember when nc was a textile area...try buying towels made in american...any type of linens for that matter...i go into the finer stores...its still all made in ______________ (fill in any asia country)

Bones, Nordicware is made in the U.S.A. Quality stuff.

Aluminum Cookware, Aluminum Bakeware, Aluminum Kitchenware from Nordicware - Nordic Ware

All my baking pans, cookie sheets, etc. are ancient bought years ago. Holding up like iron.

USA Pan Bakeware

do you have any clue how much time i waste trying to buy american? o and add to that the comments i get. I have one damned cookie sheet cause i cannot find one made in america...i remember when nc was a textile area...try buying towels made in american...any type of linens for that matter...i go into the finer stores...its still all made in ______________ (fill in any asia country)

Bones, Nordicware is made in the U.S.A. Quality stuff.

Aluminum Cookware, Aluminum Bakeware, Aluminum Kitchenware from Nordicware - Nordic Ware

All my baking pans, cookie sheets, etc. are ancient bought years ago. Holding up like iron.

USA Pan Bakeware

William-Sonoma's da' bomb! Small store, and I can STILL spend 2 hours in there...

I shop where I'm going to get the best bang for my buck.. The best bang doesn't always mean saving the most money.. I prefer quality over quantity, and if a small local store can offer that, then great - if not, someone else is getting my money.

However, things like paper, cleaning supplies, etc... These things simply get thrown out after they're used - I'm going to get what does the best job for the least amount of money possible. Bammy steals enough of it.

I'm willing to bet, consciously or not, you have considered other factors apart from price and quality, Dis. When I was a young Mommy there was a tremendous push on to boycott detergents made with certain chemicals, because they do not dissipate in water and were ruining our watershed. (These chemicals are no longer legal to use in the US but I'll be damned if I can recall their name.) I stopped buying them long before they became illegal.

I have stopped buying aerosol hair spray and deodorant due to environmental concerns -- and you may have noticed, these products are far less popular now than they once were.

Do you ever buy organic? Cruelty free? Pesticide free? If you do, you are making choices on factors other than mere price and quality.

If you have a baby or a pet, you are likely at least somewhat aware of the sensitivity of their tiny lungs to certain harsh cleaning products, and no longer buy them.

I'm not asking you to make a major shift in buying habits...none of us can easily do that. I'm asking you to add the benefits that flow when you buy locally and/or Buy American to the factors that shape at least some of your purchasing decisions. If you feel too stressed to do so on consumables, at least try on larger purchases like leather goods and furniture. There are still well made, competively priced goods of this sort made here....possibly near you.

Last edited:

I'm willing to bet, consciously or not, you have considered other factors apart from price and quality, Dis. When I was a young Mommy there was a tremendous push on to boycott detergents made with certain chemicals, because they do not dissipate in water and were ruining our watershed. (These chemicals are no longer legal to use in the US but I'll be damned if I can recall their name.) I stopped buying them long before they became illegal.

I have stopped buying aerosol hair spray and deodorant due to environmental concerns -- and you may have noticed, these products are far less popular now than they once were.

Do you ever buy organic? Cruelty free? Pesticide free? If you do, you are making choices on factors other than mere price and quality.

If you have a baby or a pet, you are likely at least somewhat aware of the sensitivity of their tiny lungs to certain harsh cleaning products, and no longer buy them.

I'm not asking you to make a major shift in buying habits...none of us can easily do that. I'm asking you to add the benefits that flow when you buy locally and/or Buy American to the factors that shape at least some of your purchasing decisions. If you feel too stressed to do so on consumables, at least try on larger purchases like leather goods and furniture. There are still well made, competively priced goods of this sort made here....possibly near you.

Were you operating under the assumption that people didn't know this already ?

I buy based on what *works*. We'll use hairspray for this example...

I used to use a multitude of hairsprays for different hairstyles, never being truly happy with any of them, but it's all that was available..

Aveda came out with a new one called Control Force - my beautician tried it on me, and I was in love with it instantly.. Didn't care what it costs - it did exactly what I wanted.

$26.00 a can.. I found out *later* that it has no harsh chemicals, leaves no residue, and is made from only plant extracts. Aded bonus? Sure - but not one I was considering at the time.

Quality wins out. I've stopped even *trying* other brands - I have to go out of my way to get it from an Aveda salon, but it's a small price to pay for not having to look around anymore, and play the guessing game.

I'll tell you this, tho.. If Walmart could legally sell that hairspray, and it was $20 a can instead of $26 a can, and completely identical in every way, Walmart would win hands down for both quality AND price...

Forum List

Back