...I just realized Lincoln was the Hitler of the 19th century.

ok I will try again. Analogy. Genocide. "group of people"= the American people.
You can try as many times as you'd like. You'd still be wrong.
Now let's try the real definition instead of your self-serving one:
systematic killing of a racial or cultural group
WordNet Search - 3.0
You can follow the distinction, yes?

Yes you are right. Lets try real definitions instead of your self serving ones. Try using and understanding the whole definitions of a word and not picking and choosing your pet ones.

analogy
- 6 dictionary results
a·nal·o·gy
   /əˈnælədʒi/ Show Spelled[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA
–noun,plural-gies.
a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.
Biology. an analogous relationship.
Linguistics.
a.
the process by which words or phrases are created or re-formed according to existing patterns in the language, as when shoon was re-formed as shoes, when -ize is added to nouns like winter to form verbs, or when a child says foots for feet.
b.
a form resulting from such a process.
Logic. a form of reasoning in which one thing is inferred to be similar to another thing in a certain respect, on the basis of the known similarity between the things in other respects.

genocide
gen·o·cide
   /ˈdʒɛnəˌsaɪd/ Show Spelled[jen-uh-sahyd] Show IPA
–noun
the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

I will assume you understand "analogy"

What part of the genocide "analogy" are you confused with?

The south proclaimed themselves as a nation unto themselves and no longer part of the union.
The south proclaimed themselves a nation based on their political views.
To this day there are cultural differences between the south and the rest of the country.
And using one word from your definition. The south leaving the union was a radical idea in and of itself.

The north set out to destroy the "nation" of the confederacy, its radical, political views. The north ADDED the moral grounds of destroying the south for its culture of slavery

And that's where you're wrong again... the South HAD no right.

The south had every right. I suggest you actually read the Constitution. The Constitution of the united States neither explicitly or implicitly disallows secession. The south optioned out to leave.

Sometimes it's really important not to make it up as you go along... that goes for both laws and definitions of words.

Agreed. And that goes both ways. ;)

You can wrap your definition of analogy up in brown paper with a pink bow and you'd still be wrong. Genocide is genocide. There was no genocide in the Civil War...

Last edited:
You can wrap your definition of analogy up in brown paper with a pink bow and you'd still be wrong. Genocide is genocide. There was no genocide in the Civil War...

apparently, she's one of those people who thinks they can misuse terms any way they choose.

ah well..

Apparently so. The definitions are for her to read as well.

apparently, she's one of those people who thinks they can misuse terms any way they choose.

ah well..

You know there are only like 12 people in the whole country who consider the Civil War Genocide.

Maybe you should think about that.

The Civil War couldn't have been genocide.

Genocide implies the total eradication of an entire race. In the Civil War, brother fought against brother.

If you're related, you're from the same race.

Genocide implies the total eradication of an entire race. In the Civil War, brother fought against brother.

The civil war caused more American deaths then any of the wars combined.

You know there are only like 12 people in the whole country who consider the Civil War Genocide.

Kevin Kennedy is one of those 12.

Since I haven't called the Civil War genocide anywhere on this board, or even in this thread, I'd have to say that's an incorrect statement. In fact, here's my exact quote:

Certainly not in the same league as Hitler, but he had no problem wiping out the southern population.

Since I haven't called the Civil War genocide anywhere on this board, or even in this thread, I'd have to say that's an incorrect statement. In fact, here's my exact quote:

Certainly not in the same league as Hitler, but he had no problem wiping out the southern population.

Which is why i use the word ANALOGY

KK read the post i made with the definitions, i am sure you will understand what i am saying.

KK read the post i made with the definitions, i am sure you will understand what i am saying.

I understand your point, but since Lincoln never gave any order to have southern civilians rounded up and murdered you will be hard pressed to convince anyone that what happened during the Civil War was genocide. I think the matter is beside the point, however. The fact is that southern civilians were targeted and murdered by Union troops, and Lincoln had absolutely no problem with this. If he had to absolutely destroy the south in every way shape or form to force them back into the Union he was more than willing that it should happen.

ah well..

Then you know you were wrong with your analogy? Cool....

The civil war caused more American deaths then any of the wars combined.

And it still doesn't mean it was genocide....or even attempted genocide......

And you would still be wrong with your analogy...go figure....

They both committed ridiculous and pointless genocide...maybe no where near in similar methods or to the same ends, but they both killed a large enough amount of people that should taint their legacy as villainous in my opinion.

There's a massive difference between war and genocide, I suggest you learn what that is before you make yourself seem even more foolish.

A KevinKennedy assertion: The fact is that southern civilians were targeted and murdered by Union troops, and Lincoln had absolutely no problem with this.

KK, have you studied the courts-martial records for the Union Army and concluded that no courts were held for such crimes, that Lincoln pardoned soldiers convicted of such crimes and had been sentenced to death?

You have not given any evidence, thus any reader can safely ignore your statement as simply biased.

Last edited:

it's still an absurd analogy, which is what I said in my earlier comment.

again, go look again at the definition of genocide and see if you can't figure it out instead of being disingenuous.

A KevinKennedy assertion: The fact is that southern civilians were targeted and murdered by Union troops, and Lincoln had absolutely no problem with this.

KK, have you studied the courts-martial records for the Union Army and concluded that no courts were held for such crimes, that Lincoln pardoned soldiers convicted of such crimes and had been sentenced to death?

You have not given any evidence, thus any reader can safely ignore your statement as simply biased.

Lincoln gave the "thanks of the nation" to Sherman for his actions, and his actions included destroying the south. Sherman and Sheridan then went on from their successful destruction of the south to destroy the plains indians.

Forum List

Back