I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Since 75 to 80% attended church and a large portion of the pioneers going westward did not have churches the total percentage of Christians would probably be over 90%. Of course this does not include slaves or Native Americans at that time.

Against a prevailing view that eighteenth-century Americans had not perpetuated the first settlers’ passionate commitment to their faith, scholars now identify a high level of religious energy in colonies after 1700. According to one expert, religion was in the “ascension rather than the declension”; another sees a “rising vitality in religious life” from 1700 onward; a third finds religion in many parts of the colonies in a state of “feverish growth.” Figures on church attendance and church formation support these opinions. Between 1700 and 1740, an estimated 75 to 80 percent of the population attended churches, which were being built at a headlong pace
.RELIGION AND THE FOUNDING OF AMERICA « American Christian Heritage Group Blog

Oh, of course! Why would we count Native Americans or enslaved black people when we talk about Americans!

Do you have a more scholarly source? Because it is my understanding that church attendance was nothing like that at the time. Even among the white European people here at the time.

Last edited:
"Other," namely greet people however the hell you please, and everyone stop fucking bitching about it! :evil:

Since 75 to 80% attended church and a large portion of the pioneers going westward did not have churches the total percentage of Christians would probably be over 90%. Of course this does not include slaves or Native Americans at that time.

Against a prevailing view that eighteenth-century Americans had not perpetuated the first settlers’ passionate commitment to their faith, scholars now identify a high level of religious energy in colonies after 1700. According to one expert, religion was in the “ascension rather than the declension”; another sees a “rising vitality in religious life” from 1700 onward; a third finds religion in many parts of the colonies in a state of “feverish growth.” Figures on church attendance and church formation support these opinions. Between 1700 and 1740, an estimated 75 to 80 percent of the population attended churches, which were being built at a headlong pace

Oh, of course! Why would we count Native Americans or enslaved black people when we talk about Americans!

Do you have a more scholarly source? Because it is my understanding that church attendance was nothing like that at the time. Even among the white European people here at the time.

Same paragraph different source
Religion in 18th-Century America (Religion and the Founding of the American Republic, Library of Congress Exhibition)

I voted for "Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools."

Then I repped LK Eder because he's pwning this thread.

You mean you're up for celebrating Christmas, and Hanukkah, and Ramadan, and the Winter Solstice? :)

Ummmm, because it was. No mosques (the first was built in Iowa of all places in 1934), the Touro Synagogue (the first) wasn't founded till 1763, and 15 families of Jews arrived in Rhode Island in 1658 so yes the country (not the native Americans who were anamists) was predominantly Christian.
I wonder where you got your information about the nation being "almost 100%" Christian at the time of the founding.

I asked for a source. I'm not seeing one yet.

google is your friend:idea:

Ummmm, because it was. No mosques (the first was built in Iowa of all places in 1934), the Touro Synagogue (the first) wasn't founded till 1763, and 15 families of Jews arrived in Rhode Island in 1658 so yes the country (not the native Americans who were anamists) was predominantly Christian.
I wonder where you got your information about the nation being "almost 100%" Christian at the time of the founding.

dude, predominantly?

almost 100%?

your logic sucks even more than your wit

anamists, lol

Hey, I've been told by my wife that my humor is bizarre, so it should be right up your alley!

Most slaves were christian as well. At least those born into the abomination of slavery. The native Americans were for the most part a good ways away from the white settlements. Especially after the terrible Trail of Tears that witnessed the forced relocation and theft of the Cherokee Nations land.

I believe Foxfyre was referring to those people who founded THIS nation (remember at the founding the native Americans were an enemy nation at war with the whiteman) not the rest of the continent which was conquered and purchased over the next 100 years.

Only the OP alone knows the source of her confusion on the issue.

Perhaps she’s unaware of the fact that the Constitution applies only to law-making entities and not private citizens.

Anyone may say ‘Merry Christmas’ with impunity, including public sector employees on the job – indeed, Christmas and religious displays are perfectly Constitutional in the public venue provided they’re not officially sanctioned, have a primary secular intent, not be intended to promote religion, and don’t manifest an excessive governmental entanglement.

Christmas is not Santa's birthday. Or we would be giving him gifts and he would not be working his ass of the night before would he?

Sure he would – Santa’s a real Mensch.

dude, predominantly?

almost 100%?

your logic sucks even more than your wit

anamists, lol

Hey, I've been told by my wife that my humor is bizarre, so it should be right up your alley!

spare me stories of you praising your "tool" in front of your beloved.

it can only end embarrassing you. or breaking arbitrary rules.

so let's just remember the latin word "anima" [no that was not a typo]. which is totally different from "enema" , which is anathema, and greek.

Forum List

Back