I thought Lawrence O'Donnell made a great point before the debate began.

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
He said if it were up to him he'd change the rules of the debate. He would 1. Give the candidates the questions ahead of time. Saying, "I want their best answer, not one they have to make up on the fly." 2. Allow the candidates to be surrounded by their advisers. No President makes decisions without getting input from the people he or she has chosen to give them advice. Letting them speak with advisers more closely approximates how things are actually done. 3. Put mics on the advisers so we can understand the thought process of how decisions in a theoretical admin would be made. Judging the quality of the people a prez has around him is nearly as important as judging the prez himself.

I thought it was an interesting perspective and one that made sense to me. Because any administration is more than just the President. In the real world he or she isn't called upon to make decisions in two minutes. So the construct of the debate rules don't reflect how either candidate would address the issues they would face as prez.

He said if it were up to him he'd change the rules of the debate. He would 1. Give the candidates the questions ahead of time. Saying, "I want their best answer, not one they have to make up on the fly." 2. Allow the candidates to be surrounded by their advisers. No President makes decisions without getting input from the people he or she has chosen to give them advice. Letting them speak with advisers more closely approximates how things are actually done. 3. Put mics on the advisers so we can understand the thought process of how decisions in a theoretical admin would be made. Judging the quality of the people a prez has around him is nearly as important as judging the prez himself.

I thought it was an interesting perspective and one that made sense to me. Because any administration is more than just the President. In the real world he or she isn't called upon to make decisions in two minutes. So the construct of the debate rules don't reflect how either candidate would address the issues they would face as prez.
if you want to see what they know they have to hear the question for the first time at the debate.....and then they answer....

if you want to see what they know they have to hear the question for the first time at the debate.....and then they answer....
That isn't how things work in an actual presidency. The prez typically gets briefing papers on subjects from staff before decisions are made.

So lower the bar and allow advisers to write their responses?

No. You think on your feet, that is how a debate works.

So lower the bar and allow advisers to write their responses?

No. You think on your feet, that is how a debate works.
Yes, that is how a debate works. But that isn't how a presidency works. Debates are sideshows for TV, not real world examples of how administrations operate.

I can understand why he would make that suggestion before the debate last night, given he supports Joey "too senile" Xiden.

That isn't how things work in an actual presidency. The prez typically gets briefing papers on subjects from staff before decisions are made.
True, but this isn't the actual presidency, it's a debate.

Moreover, didn't Joey "too senile" Xiden, just spend a week at Camp David with all his advisors preparing for last night? I mean, that performance is Joey Xiden working with his advisors for a week....

That would make for a really long boring debate. People would tune out unless the tribe got to extinguish someone's torch every few minutes.

You’re silly.

We lost so we must change the rules!
Typical leftism.

Forum List

Back