I thought Republicans Were All About the Free Market

It's the same old conundrum.

Just because a politician does something that pleases a particular donor does not mean it is a quid pro quo.

There are many valid reasons to ban internet gambling. The states have individually decided to permit gambling and in most cases have done so in a manner so that the new revenues will benefit a particular deserving constituency - maybe schools, maybe Senior Citizens, maybe something else. Internet gambling reduces the available pool of gambling revenues and hurts those initiatives.

Internet gambling cannot be controlled to exclude children, incompetents, people with demonstrated gambling addictions, and so on.

The amount of Adelson's donations were chump change.

Much ado about nothing.

There are many valid reasons to ban internet gambling. The states have individually decided to permit gambling and in most cases have done so in a manner so that the new revenues will benefit a particular deserving constituency - maybe schools, maybe Senior Citizens, maybe something else. Internet gambling reduces the available pool of gambling revenues and hurts those initiatives.

That is not a justifiable reason to interfere in the free market.

Internet gambling cannot be controlled to exclude children, incompetents, people with demonstrated gambling addictions, and so on.

Online poker has been legal here in Nevada for the past year and those issues have not posed a problem.

Much ado about nothing.

I disagree. When a politician interferes in the natural evolution of the marketplace it's a big deal.

Shouldn't Sheldon be gearing-up, as it were, to buy another Repub seat?

As to the OP, Lindsay can do as he pleases. He'll have to face the voters again eventually.

There is plenty of disagreement among Republicans regarding economic policy, the relationship of the state to markets, and what the best course of action is.

I tend to lean more toward a limited government interference model myself, with the policies that ought to exist being those that can promote productivity and competition among businesses, encourage and reward hard work while discouraging dependency on government, and helping families and small businesses with things like tax credits and other incentives.

Shouldn't Sheldon be gearing-up, as it were, to buy another Repub seat?

As to the OP, Lindsay can do as he pleases. He'll have to face the voters again eventually.

Yeah, and I practically pop wood at the thought of him getting bumped in a primary lol.

Fuckin fiscally left and socially right. He's like Chairman Mao with Christian overtones and less influence.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back