I was blown away.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
I added R-49 insulation to my attic last fall. Over the winter I noticed more comfort but not much in savings as natural gas prices had gone way up from the year before. It wasn't until the hot weather arrived this spring, and I mean 90 degree days one after another, that I really felt the difference.

Before adding the insulation, the house would warm to nearly 80 degrees by evening on such hot days, from 70 degrees in the morning. Now the temperature rises just two degrees during a 90 degree day. I don't have to turn on the AC until I go to bed, and I can turn it off when I get up at 7 A.M. Before I would run the AC until about 10 A.M. and turn it on again around 6 P.M. as the house was too hot for comfort.

That I'm blown away by the effectiveness of this level of insulation is an understatement. It is absolutely the best home improvement money I ever spent.

Last edited:
I added R-49 insulation to my attic last fall. Over the winter I noticed more comfort but not much in savings as natural gas prices had gone way up from the year before. It wasn't until the hot weather arrived this spring, and I mean 90 degree days one after another, that I really felt the difference.

Before adding the insulation, the house would warm to nearly 80 degrees by evening on such hot days, from 70 degrees in the morning. Now the temperature rises just two degrees during a 90 degree day. I don't have to turn on the AC until I go to bed, and I can turn it off when I get up at 7 A.M. Before I would run the AC until about 10 A.M. and turn it on again around 6 P.M. as the house was too hot for comfort.

That I'm blown away by the effectiveness of this level of insulation is an understatement. It is absolutely the best home improvement money I ever spent.
What area do you live where you're already experiencing consecutive 90+ degree days?

Southern Wisconsin. We just tied an old record at 91 degrees.
Ha .. I'm in East Texas and we've only creeped over 90 a couple times so far .. this month will change that as we advance into August. I've recently purchased a house, built in 1973, and restoring the insulation is a priority as we go into this summer. Hope to get great results like you've received.

Ha .. I'm in East Texas and we've only creeped over 90 a couple times so far .. this month will change that as we advance into August. I've recently purchased a house, built in 1973, and restoring the insulation is a priority as we go into this summer. Hope to get great results like you've received.
The experts in charge of such things once said that adding more than R-30 in the roof wasn't worth the extra cost, thus the standard remained at R-30 for decades. But with higher fuel prices, and global warming, they have raised the standard to R-50 plus.

The advantage of the climate getting warmer, is less household heating. That means less home heating, less fossil fuels burnt, and a win win for alarmists as less co2.

Forum List

Back