Icon of the Left: George Soros

but, but, but....you're a bad person if you don't beat their strawman to death!!!
Or, what it says is there is no strawman.

Or, if there is one, folks are more interested in attacks than discussion.

You know, just KNOW you want to prove her and me wrong. The perception that he is an icon of the left is not just hers. Millions have it.

And there is yet any interest in dispelling it.
And millions think liberals eat babies.

I could care less about what you think of Soros or what you think I think of Soros.

I do care that you all jump on him because he was a Jewish teen in Nazi land and somehow that means he should feel guilty.

I'm not overly interested in what he did as a teenager. Funny how you keep making it about that. We're not. We're making it about his behavior as an adult. Specifically, his willful destruction of the lives of ordinary people in a variety of countries.... for money. I find it odd that you don't feel that is worthy of discussion.

He did nothing at all that would cause anyone to feel guilty. Nothing. That you keep pretending he did is disgusting.

And Toro pretty well put to bed your accusation that he destroyed the lives of millions of people.

:thup:

The only economic logic that I can ascertain which would cause people to lose their jobs with the pound leaving the ERM are those who relied upon a strong currency to make a living, perhaps importers and travel agencies. But if so, they were artificially benefiting from a government policy which was creating massive distortions in the economy.

But a government cannot defy the market clearing price forever. Government intervention often creates distortions in the markets. I mean, that is the argument for free markets and government staying out of the way, right? It is far more credible that it was the government doing major damage to the British economy than any speculator could by keeping the pound artificially high.
but, but, but, he's an evil capitalist that wants us to be communist so he can no longer be an evil capitalist!

Except that Toro is wrong. That collapse that he engineered in the UK wiped billions off their stock market. That in turn saw billions wiped off of pension investments. It also brought on a housing collapse. People's house prices dropped, people's pensions, people's savings.... all gone. That is evil.... he made $1b US and hundreds of thousands of Britons lost everything.

But, apparently, that is ok. Because not one of the left on here has condemned him for it.

You know, just KNOW you want to prove her and me wrong. The perception that he is an icon of the left is not just hers. Millions have it.

Liberals eat babies?

Never heard that before.

.... I could care less about what you think of Soros or what you think I think of Soros.

Yet, you care so little that you have 34 posts in the thread. ;)

.... I do care that you all jump on him because he was a Jewish teen in Nazi land and somehow that means he should feel guilty.
Thanks for the perfect example of what I have been saying.

Let's pummel that strawman to death, together; after becoming knowledgeable of what he did as a kid, I have no issues with it.

See how that works?
And yet you don't condemn CG, Pixie or anyone else guilty of lying about him.

:lol:

Liberals eat babies?

Never heard that before.

Yet, you care so little that you have 34 posts in the thread. ;)

.... I do care that you all jump on him because he was a Jewish teen in Nazi land and somehow that means he should feel guilty.
Thanks for the perfect example of what I have been saying.

Let's pummel that strawman to death, together; after becoming knowledgeable of what he did as a kid, I have no issues with it.

See how that works?
And yet you don't condemn CG, Pixie or anyone else guilty of lying about him.

:lol:
Why would I condemn someone for having an informed opinion? Their opinions are just as informed as mine, but different.

:cuckoo:

Last edited:
but, but, but....you're a bad person if you don't beat their strawman to death!!!

I could care less about what you think of Soros or what you think I think of Soros.

I do care that you all jump on him because he was a Jewish teen in Nazi land and somehow that means he should feel guilty.

Thank You for clearing that up for me. I am relieved. :D

George Soros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In politics and economics, Black Wednesday refers to the events of 16 September 1992 when the British Conservative government was forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM) after they were unable to keep it above its agreed lower limit. George Soros, the most high profile of the currency market investors, made over US$1 billion profit by short selling sterling.
In 1997 the UK Treasury estimated the cost of Black Wednesday at £3.4 billion, with the actual cost being £3.3 billion which was revealed in 2005 under the Freedom of Information Act (FoI).[1]
The trading losses in August and September were estimated at £800 million, but the main loss to taxpayers arose because the devaluation could have made them a profit. The papers show that if the government had maintained $24 billion foreign currency reserves and the pound had fallen by the same amount, the UK would have made a £2.4 billion profit on sterling's devaluation.[2] Newspapers also revealed that the Treasury spent £27 billion of reserves in propping up the pound.

So, let's look at the reality of that 'crash'. Hundreds of thousands of Britons lost their homes, their pensions and their savings. Soros made $1billion. It was a deliberate action, a nice day's work for Mr Soros, not so great for all those ordinary hard working Britons.

Now, can any of you tell me that what Soros did was ok? Destroying ordinary people for a profit. Because that is his SOP. Not just Britain, I've already named the other countries. Go and research it. Find out who this man really is.

And then, for the Love of (insert optional deity here), tell me that you think he's scum. It's not that hard.

That's a loss on the capital account of the BoE CG. It means that the central bank lost money, not any individual Britons. If you read further down on the Wiki page, it says in the aftermath that Black Wednesday was really Golden Wednesday as it led to the resumption of strong economic growth.

He did nothing at all that would cause anyone to feel guilty. Nothing. That you keep pretending he did is disgusting.

And Toro pretty well put to bed your accusation that he destroyed the lives of millions of people.

The only economic logic that I can ascertain which would cause people to lose their jobs with the pound leaving the ERM are those who relied upon a strong currency to make a living, perhaps importers and travel agencies. But if so, they were artificially benefiting from a government policy which was creating massive distortions in the economy.

But a government cannot defy the market clearing price forever. Government intervention often creates distortions in the markets. I mean, that is the argument for free markets and government staying out of the way, right? It is far more credible that it was the government doing major damage to the British economy than any speculator could by keeping the pound artificially high.
but, but, but, he's an evil capitalist that wants us to be communist so he can no longer be an evil capitalist!

Exactly. :D Money has become too much a waste of time and effort for his diabolical schemes. He want's more direct control now. :lol:

He is actually in it with the Koch Brothers, you know. I hear they are Third Cousins. :eek:

I didn't know much about Soros before this thread.

Now I see that he's an okay guy after all and that most of what the rightwingloons have against him are lies.

I'm glad he escaped the Nazis and made something of himself.

In politics and economics, Black Wednesday refers to the events of 16 September 1992 when the British Conservative government was forced to withdraw the pound sterling from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM) after they were unable to keep it above its agreed lower limit. George Soros, the most high profile of the currency market investors, made over US$1 billion profit by short selling sterling.
In 1997 the UK Treasury estimated the cost of Black Wednesday at £3.4 billion, with the actual cost being £3.3 billion which was revealed in 2005 under the Freedom of Information Act (FoI).[1]
The trading losses in August and September were estimated at £800 million, but the main loss to taxpayers arose because the devaluation could have made them a profit. The papers show that if the government had maintained $24 billion foreign currency reserves and the pound had fallen by the same amount, the UK would have made a £2.4 billion profit on sterling's devaluation.[2] Newspapers also revealed that the Treasury spent £27 billion of reserves in propping up the pound.

So, let's look at the reality of that 'crash'. Hundreds of thousands of Britons lost their homes, their pensions and their savings. Soros made $1billion. It was a deliberate action, a nice day's work for Mr Soros, not so great for all those ordinary hard working Britons.

Now, can any of you tell me that what Soros did was ok? Destroying ordinary people for a profit. Because that is his SOP. Not just Britain, I've already named the other countries. Go and research it. Find out who this man really is.

And then, for the Love of (insert optional deity here), tell me that you think he's scum. It's not that hard.

That's a loss on the capital account of the BoE CG. It means that the central bank lost money, not any individual Britons. If you read further down on the Wiki page, it says in the aftermath that Black Wednesday was really Golden Wednesday as it led to the resumption of strong economic growth.

No. Pension schemes in the UK, banks in the UK.... their investments lost billions. And those investments... they were the pensions and savings of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people.

You're looking at this from an broader prospective. I am looking at the lives of those who were ruined because of him. Some recovered. House prices eventually bounced back but not before thousands had lost their homes. And their pensions. And their savings. You may not like those real impacts of Soros' actions, but that does not change them.

I'm not overly interested in what he did as a teenager. Funny how you keep making it about that. We're not. We're making it about his behavior as an adult. Specifically, his willful destruction of the lives of ordinary people in a variety of countries.... for money. I find it odd that you don't feel that is worthy of discussion.

CG by concentrating on his statements and actions as an adult those arguing with you would just be proving your point. Hence making it into a strawman about his teenage years......its very transparant to all of us reading but not commenting.

But that's just wikipedia lying! Oh wait, that would me that what CG posted was also a lie.

:confused:

Now I see that he's an okay guy after all and that most of what the rightwingloons have against him are lies.

Then of course, the Koch brothers or any other boogieman rich folks who used capitalism to get rich are good guys, too.

Good to know. And useful.

CG by concentrating on his statements and actions as an adult those arguing with you would just be proving your point. Hence making it into a strawman about his teenage years......its very transparant to all of us reading but not commenting.
Newsflash: She brought it up.

Then of course, the Koch brothers or any other boogieman rich folks who used capitalism to get rich are good guys, too.

Nah, they support breaking up unions, which in my opinion is unconstitutional.

Yep. But it does not change the damage that man has done around the world as an adult.

Nah, they support breaking up unions, which in my opinion is unconstitutional.
Then you are a hypocrite.

Except that Toro is wrong. That collapse that he engineered in the UK wiped billions off their stock market. That in turn saw billions wiped off of pension investments. It also brought on a housing collapse. People's house prices dropped, people's pensions, people's savings.... all gone. That is evil.... he made $1b US and hundreds of thousands of Britons lost everything.

But, apparently, that is ok. Because not one of the left on here has condemned him for it.

The links aren't causal.

I'm looking at the FTSE on my Bloomberg screen right now. September 16, 1992, British stocks closed up, not down. In fact, the market bottomed nearly to the day, and exhibited a classic bottoming signal when the UK left the ERM. In fact, the FTSE was up 30% a year later and never again went that low. So Soros added to peoples' savings, not lost them.

I can post a Bloomberg screenshot later if you want to see it.

Forum List

Back