Zone1 If Big News Breaks

Your search function sucks dude
Maybe so...But all the thread starter has to do is scroll down a little bit to see a list of "similar threads", which more often than not could read "exact same threads".

Regardless, there's no doubt that the same habitual serial violators will continue their compulsion to post threads that have already been started...It's what they do.

I find the ”similar threads” list below the new topic to be helpful. It isn’t perfect but it is obvious when someone ignores it. A new feature I notice and really like is one that alerts you if you are responding to an old thread that has had no replies in ages. I like it because when the similar threads come up I don’t always they are not a current event.

Nobody has yet to mention what about threads by people you ignore?

Nobody has yet to mention what about threads by people you ignore?
That's not a software problem; it's a user problem and is easily corrected by taking people off ignore.

I know, I know .... someone is going to say they don't want to see stuff from soandso for whatever reason. Guess what? There's this thing called selective ignore where you see the content from someone but don't pay any attention to it. Training your brain can be an awesome thing.

Then chances are someone has already created a thread on it. Please use the Search function before starting a new topic and save us the trouble of having to spend time closing or merging ten additional discussions on the same topic. Thanks
You do realize this is never going to happen right?
I admin'ed USPOL in the early to late 2000s... we were doing it then, you are doing it now, and someone else will be doing it later.
Never going to happen.

Last edited:
You do realize this is never going to happen right?
I admin'ed USPOL in the early to late 2000s... er were doing it then, you are doing it now, and someone else will be doing it later.
Never going to happen.
If we get one of the regular offenders doing this to stop and look before starting a new thread, then it's a win.

If we get one of the regular offenders doing this to stop and look before starting a new thread, then it's a win.
Most of those folks will post their own version of a thread whether they see another one or not.
"Time outs" seem to work the best against those.
I don't know Xenforo like I do VBulletin, VB has a LOT more tools and customization than XF...so this may not be possible here. In VB you can remove their ability to create threads in single categories, or the whole forum but still be able to create post in existing threads.

Most of those folks will post their own version of a thread whether they see another one or not.
"Time outs" seem to work the best against those.
I don't know Xenforo like I do VBulletin, VB has a LOT more tools and customization than XF...so this may not be possible here. In VB you can remove their ability to create threads in single categories, or the whole forum but still be able to create post in existing threads.

VB has always been my favorite interface.

I do think that Xenforo has a lot of the same features, but some web site operators choose to disable them for whatever reason.

So far as the ignore feature, I tend only to use it whenever I notice someone purposefully forum sliding and things like that.

I see people do it on here all the time, they work in little groups. And they're not even clever about it.

Another thing I see a lot of is if someone's narrative is defeated early on in a thread they've started, they'll start a new one or you'll see one of the more vocal posters in their group who was running interference for the op in the defeated thread start a new thread in order to start the same conversation all over again.

It's silly, really. It's not like we can't see what they're doing if were paying attention. lol.

Last edited:
VB has always been my favorite interface.

I do think that Xenforo has a lot of the same features, but some web site operators choose to disable them for whatever reason.

So far as the ignore feature, I tend only to use it whenever I notice someone purposefully forum sliding and things like that.

I see people do it on here all the time, they work in little groups. And they're not even clever about it.

Another thing I see a lot of is if someone's narrative is defeated early on in a thread they've started, they'll start a new one or you'll see one of the more vocal posters in their group who was running interference for the op in the defeated thread start a new threrad in order to start all over again.

It's silly, really. It's not like we can't see what they're doing if were paying attention. lol.
The Powers that Be are too cheap to pay the license for VB.

They do it in groups because they think in groups.

The notion of being an individual terrifies them.

It is effective, though. Almost every single time I see it happen, you get the same people who were posting in the original thread coming over to post in the copycat thread.

So the thread has effectively been erased of any previous conflicting dialogue by creating a copycat thread.

If people would just stick to posting in the original thread rather than the copycat thread, they couldn't function in that way.

That's not a software problem; it's a user problem and is easily corrected by taking people off ignore.

You're a sweetheart and everything but with all due respect are you crazy!? That's going to happen in the month of Neveraury.

Might I possibly suggest adding a comma to that, so you do not get mistaken for a tranny.

True. XD

It is effective, though. Almost every single time I see it happen, you get the same people who were posting in the original thread coming over to post in the copycat thread.

So the thread has effectively been erased of any previous conflicting dialogue by crating a copycat thread.

If people would just stick to posting in the original thread rather than the copycat thread, they couldn't function in that way.
These are very simple-minded individuals whose understanding of the human condition is so limited that they see only two possibilities in this world -- join their team or be their enemy.

Their very identity is tied up in their Manichaean view of the world.

These are very simple-minded individuals whose understanding of the human condition is so limited that they see only two possibilities in this world -- join their team or be their enemy.

Their very identity is tied up in their Manichaean view of the world.

They're contained, though. That's how I look at it. The specific ones who play that specific game I was talking about anyway. I don't want to paint with too broad of a brush.

There's no real function or goal here anyway, aside from just general dialogue, so they're not really interfering with anything other than functional dialogue. In that regard you end up with something I'd mentioned a few days ago around here about ''useful dysfunction.''

I find the ”similar threads” list below the new topic to be helpful. It isn’t perfect but it is obvious when someone ignores it. A new feature I notice and really like is one that alerts you if you are responding to an old thread that has had no replies in ages. I like it because when the similar threads come up I don’t always they are not a current event.
I had over a 100 on iggy, but took them all off last night. However, before I did that, I COULD see threads by those I had on ignore. It showed the name of the thread, and instead of the name of the person who started it (OP), it said "Ignored". So..someone is a liar. No surprise.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back