If God Doesn’t Exist

I wouldn’t accept the idea that one unthinkingly inherits the gods commonly associated with their familial / geographic location.
The same can be said about science. Or have you custom assembled your science? And then you custom assembled God so that you did not have to bother with God? Kind of like custom assembling a wardrobe so one doesn't have to bother with ironing...?

I wouldn’t accept the idea that one unthinkingly inherits the gods commonly associated with their familial / geographic location.
The same can be said about science. Or have you custom assembled your science? And then you custom assembled God so that you did not have to bother with God? Kind of like custom assembling a wardrobe so one doesn't have to bother with ironing...?
The same can’t be said about science. Science relies on a hypothesis, testing and evaluation of evidence to reach conclusions. Accepting culturally appropriate gods due to tradition and because those are the gods you inherited is like wearing a hand-me-down wardrobe.

I need proof. God is a huge thing, you can't tell me there's ZERO real proof?
Then explore and discover. This is an exploration each individual needs to undertake for him/herself. No bench sitting, no being simply a spectator while others do the work.
So you have to convince yourself, nobody can help you with proof. That's pretty lame. After 2000 years, there's still no proof.

If God doesn’t exist, the universe came into existence by chance, the first living cell developed from non-living matter by chance, and all living things are the eventual product of the blind, undirected process of evolution. In such a case, human life is no more valuable than dust, and there is no basis for saying that any life matters. Only if there is an author of life who creates and imbues us with a meaning greater than our physical parts can lives actually matter, and in an equal way.

If God doesn’t exist, there’s also no objective standard for labeling an action—such as murder—wrong. If we’re all just the product of blind, purposeless forces, morality is just an opinion. Unless there is a higher-than-human moral authority, no one has a basis for claiming that murder is objectively wrong.

And finally, if God doesn’t exist, the concept of justice is meaningless because there can be no right or wrong in the first place to require justice. As C.S. Lewis famously said about his conversion to Christianity, “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” Justice requires a standard, and there is no objective standard in a purposeless universe.

"If God doesn’t exist, there’s also no objective standard for labeling an action—such as murder—wrong. If we’re all just the product of blind, purposeless forces, morality is just an opinion. Unless there is a higher-than-human moral authority, no one has a basis for claiming that murder is objectively wrong."

----------------

another christian ADMITTING that he would KILL and RAPE and STEAL if he never heard of god!

christians; "no god? then there is NO reason not to kill people!...hooray!.....get the ropes! get the guns.....lets have some fun killing people!"

If God doesn’t exist, the universe came into existence by chance, the first living cell developed from non-living matter by chance, and all living things are the eventual product of the blind, undirected process of evolution. In such a case, human life is no more valuable than dust, and there is no basis for saying that any life matters. Only if there is an author of life who creates and imbues us with a meaning greater than our physical parts can lives actually matter, and in an equal way.

If God doesn’t exist, there’s also no objective standard for labeling an action—such as murder—wrong. If we’re all just the product of blind, purposeless forces, morality is just an opinion. Unless there is a higher-than-human moral authority, no one has a basis for claiming that murder is objectively wrong.

And finally, if God doesn’t exist, the concept of justice is meaningless because there can be no right or wrong in the first place to require justice. As C.S. Lewis famously said about his conversion to Christianity, “My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” Justice requires a standard, and there is no objective standard in a purposeless universe.

if god didn't exist who would you kill?
who would you rape?

The same can’t be said about science. Science relies on a hypothesis, testing and evaluation of evidence to reach conclusions. Accepting culturally appropriate gods due to tradition and because those are the gods you inherited is like wearing a hand-me-down wardrobe.
As you know, the same can (and has everyday) been said about science. Different theories abound, are then discredited, or credited, and the next step continues. Who is accepting culturally appropriate gods? Is that what you did, so you have concluded everyone does this? Even people of the same denomination take different paths, test them, reach different conclusions. Let's stop moving the goal posts. The question was did you custom assemble God, decide everyone else did the same thing, and when the God you custom assembled did not pan out, no God pans out?

Did you custom assemble God?

Science is manifested by consciousness, Hollie. You can't get around the human element.

So you have to convince yourself, nobody can help you with proof. That's pretty lame. After 2000 years, there's still no proof.
It is not a matter of convincing oneself. It is a matter of exploration and discovery.

It is not a matter of convincing oneself. It is a matter of exploration and discovery.
So if you discovered something, share it with science. Otherwise, you didn't discover squat.

So if you discovered something, share it with science. Otherwise, you didn't discover squat.
Science deals with what is physical. Every time we have an emotion, a philosophy, or an insight should we run to science? Should we remain a one note people?

As you know, the same can (and has everyday) been said about science. Different theories abound, are then discredited, or credited, and the next step continues. Who is accepting culturally appropriate gods? Is that what you did, so you have concluded everyone does this? Even people of the same denomination take different paths, test them, reach different conclusions. Let's stop moving the goal posts. The question was did you custom assemble God, decide everyone else did the same thing, and when the God you custom assembled did not pan out, no God pans out?

I have no reason to assemble any gods. I take the default position of being a materialist and proceed on the basis that supernaturalism is an obstacle to reason and rationality.

I have no reason to assemble any gods. I take the default position of being a materialist and proceed on the basis that supernaturalism is an obstacle to reason and rationality.
Could it be you assemble them in order to shoot them down? I've known a lot of atheists, Hollie. True atheists don't shoot down God because there is no God to shoot down. True atheists don't tell believers why that believer believes. They simply accept that they don't believe, and because they accept this of themselves, they accept belief in others. They have no axe to grind.

I think you have an axe to grind, and I wonder what caused this.

Really if you believe that God brought life to Earth why are we not God when we bring life to another World? Mars is actually a poor example because life as we know would be different there, however there are trillions of other dead planets that are more or less just like Earth where life would flourish. So why are we not God when we move there and set up ecosystems to grow food?
Did we bring our own creation with us, or did we bring another's creation from our planet to a planet created by another? Even should we succeed on Mars, it is because of the creation of another, which rules us out as God.
Sorry kid planets form themselves out of stellar debris

Keep up or drop out

Actually if DNA wrote itself out of nothing this would be more supernatural than God doing the same as God has the intelligence to do such things

That's why being agnostic is the thinking person's position. We don't know either way whether a god exists or not but leave the door open in case someone finds real proof either way.
Actually thinking people see that DNA is a molecular computer code of unimaginable ability that could not from itself by itself in a dead pond because nothing does not write code
No proof that's it's your preferred invisible dude. Only a possibility.
Actually there is proof that you are there and I am here.

Grow up
That also doesn't prove your preferred invisible dude.
That's why being agnostic is the thinking person's position.
Some prefer not to sit and think, but to explore and discover.
That's what agnostic's do, I know I do, and if I ever come across any real proof either way, I'm open to changing my mind. Seems fair to me, what do you think?
You would not change your mind if God stood before you and cured your blindness. Yea I know that you have no clue that you are blind

Could it be you assemble them in order to shoot them down? I've known a lot of atheists, Hollie. True atheists don't shoot down God because there is no God to shoot down. True atheists don't tell believers why that believer believes. They simply accept that they don't believe, and because they accept this of themselves, they accept belief in others. They have no axe to grind.

I think you have an axe to grind, and I wonder what caused this.
On the other hand, I’ve known a lot of believers who believe because they are fearful; fearful of the unknown and fearful of making decisions because decisions carry consequences. True believers don’t tell non-believers what to believe.

Are you angry because you’re not converting anyone?

Actually if DNA wrote itself out of nothing this would be more supernatural than God doing the same as God has the intelligence to do such things
^^^^ god jr. has delivered his message, “... because I say so

Forum List

Back