If the Muslim Brotherhood stands its ground

Turkey last month was hit by a wave of protests against Erdogan's perceived authoritarianism and his attempts to impose his conservative views in a society that is ruled by secular laws. Morsi's removal follows protests by Egyptians angry over what they see as his efforts to impose control through the Muslim Brotherhood and his failures to deal with the country's multiple problems.

Turkey Calls Military Overthrow Of Egypt's Mohammed Morsi 'Unacceptable'

Roo has proven nothing; end of this OP.

A growing number of people in the country – even those who have supported him in the past – are now accusing Mr Erdogan of a stifling authoritarianism and a subtle shift towards religious conservatism. They say Turkey is secular in name only and that Mr Erdogan is now promoting a distinctly Islamist agenda.

Turkey's protesters accuse Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Islamist agenda - Telegraph

OK, specify the evidence, Roo.

Their grievances include the conversion of secular schools into religious ones, the spread of Islamic headscarves in public offices, the jailing of secular-minded generals and journalists, and a diplomatic shift away from Europe and toward the Islamic Middle East.

“Turkey is becoming a model, but not the one we in the West believe. It’s a model for how Islamist parties can accede to power and stay in power.”

Erdogan Fights Ataturk Secularism With Islam Fervor Once Denied - Businessweek

Thank you, Roo. The charges are very general. So give us specific evidence that the following is criminal and or unlawful:

1. conversion of secular schools to religious schools (our religious right in America would approve)

2. women should have the right to wear headscarves, if they wish, as they do here in the work place

3. the jailing of secular-minded people for what reasons

4. document the diplomatic shifting from Europe to the ME

Erdoğan’s turn back to a more Islamist profile reminiscent of the parties of the Milli Görüş tradition is a risky gamble; Islamism has a constituency of perhaps 20-25 percent at most, which means that half of the AKP’s voters in 2011 would be attracted by a new, centrist alternative that may very well emerge.

Erdo?an Unhinged: The Turkish Power Struggle after Taksim

Roo, now you are babbling a reactionary babble. That's fine but fail also.

Give us the evidence along with the assertions.

Now, Mr. Erdogan has tacked back in the other direction, igniting weeks of protests from Turks concerned by what they see as Mr. Erdogan's efforts to consolidate his power and Islamize public life. The shift has raised new questions among many Turkish voters about whether the prime minister is democrat or autocrat. How far Mr. Erdogan pushes his new agenda may determine the durability of Turkey's revival.

Erdogan Tightens Grip on Turkey, Putting Nation at Crossroads - WSJ.com

Sorry Jake, I could on and on and on and on.

You are asn idiot and I have shown it again and again.

I post sources, you scream "Nuh-Uh."

You lose.

Thank you, Roo. The charges are very general. So give us specific evidence that the following is criminal and or unlawful:

1. conversion of secular schools to religious schools (our religious right in America would approve)

2. women should have the right to wear headscarves, if they wish, as they do here in the work place

Against the Law, are you really trying to move MY goalposts?

LMAO.

Erdogan is taking the Nation of Turkey down a Fundamentalist Islamic road...my point from the first.

I own you...hey you reported me and nothing happened?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ropey
Egypt seems to be following the Turkish pattern. Now imo, that's a lot better than the MB pattern.
Erdogan is taking his Gov into Radical Islam.

The post that started it all ;)

Erdogan is taking the Nation of Turkey down a Fundamentalist Islamic road...

The OP fails because its assertions are not supported.

Erdogan is taking the Nation of Turkey down a Fundamentalist Islamic road...

The OP fails because its assertions are not supported.

Because Jake says so even in the face of hundreds of sources.

You lose.

THe military will attempt to keep both sides apart...as they did in Mubarak's overthrow...in the meantime who will Obabble support????

Forum List

Back