If You Spread the Faith, You're Done Soldier!

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Religious liberty groups have grave concerns after they learned the Pentagon is vetting its guide on religious tolerance with a group that compared Christian evangelism to “rape” and advocated that military personnel who proselytize should be court martialed.

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is calling on the Air Force to enforce a regulation that they believe calls for the court martial of any service member caught proselytizing.

President Mikey Weinstein and others from his organization met privately with Pentagon officials on April 23. He said U.S. troops who proselytize are guilty of sedition and treason and should be punished – by the hundreds if necessary – to stave off what he called a “tidal wave of fundamentalists.”

“Someone needs to be punished for this,” Weinstein told Fox News. “Until the Air Force or Army or Navy or Marine Corps punishes a member of the military for unconstitutional religious proselytizing and oppression, we will never have the ability to stop this horrible, horrendous, dehumanizing behavior.”

Pentagon: Religious Proselytizing is Not Permitted | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Well, if a soldier came to my house, in uniform, with his duty weapon and wanted to preach to me, I would invite him in to talk religion. As a minister I don't get a lot of conversation about religion so it is a pleasent distraction from the everyday world for me. We might even discuss guns and what ever else comes up. I can see where this might be considered poor judgement if he was stationed in an islamic country and did the same thing.... something to ponder.
The devil is always in the details. Who, what, when, where and how make a big difference in the discussion of religion.

Well, if a soldier came to my house, in uniform, with his duty weapon and wanted to preach to me, I would invite him in to talk religion. As a minister I don't get a lot of conversation about religion so it is a pleasent distraction from the everyday world for me. We might even discuss guns and what ever else comes up. I can see where this might be considered poor judgement if he was stationed in an islamic country and did the same thing.... something to ponder.
The devil is always in the details. Who, what, when, where and how make a big difference in the discussion of religion.

Thanks for actually commenting on the thread, Paul.

If they get their way and a soldier, sailor, or airman is prosecuted under this, then they will have to rescind a ton of regulations that allow Muslims, Sikhs, and other religious minorities from wearing non-standard uniform items in order to follow their religious beliefs.

Religious liberty groups have grave concerns after they learned the Pentagon is vetting its guide on religious tolerance with a group that compared Christian evangelism to “rape” and advocated that military personnel who proselytize should be court martialed.

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is calling on the Air Force to enforce a regulation that they believe calls for the court martial of any service member caught proselytizing.

President Mikey Weinstein and others from his organization met privately with Pentagon officials on April 23. He said U.S. troops who proselytize are guilty of sedition and treason and should be punished – by the hundreds if necessary – to stave off what he called a “tidal wave of fundamentalists.”

“Someone needs to be punished for this,” Weinstein told Fox News. “Until the Air Force or Army or Navy or Marine Corps punishes a member of the military for unconstitutional religious proselytizing and oppression, we will never have the ability to stop this horrible, horrendous, dehumanizing behavior.”

Pentagon: Religious Proselytizing is Not Permitted | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

Only if it's Christianity. Islam is allowed to be proselytized. The next thing that will be done is all Christian Chaplains will be dishonorably discharged from all Military services.

Forum List

Back