In Defense of Ignorance

D

Dim Bulb

When my kid tells me he'll be home by 10.00pm and doesn't roll in until 1.00am, and his excuse is that he was at Jimmy's house studying, I take him at his word. I don't call Jimmy's parents to check out the story. I trust, I don't verify.

Similarly, when my President tells me he has no financial connection with the Russians, I trust him. I don't need to see his taxes any more than I need to talk to Jimmy's parents.

Also, when the President says he'll release his taxes, that Obama wiretapped him, that everyone will get health care, that he won't take a salary as POTUS, I believe him. I don't need proof of any of these things any more than I needed to verify that Obama was born in the US.

I suppose you believed you could keep your Dr and your healthcare insurance would cost less than your monthly cellphone bill lso.

When my kid tells me he'll be home by 10.00pm and doesn't roll in until 1.00am, and his excuse is that he was at Jimmy's house studying, I take him at his word. I don't call Jimmy's parents to check out the story. I trust, I don't verify.

Similarly, when my President tells me he has no financial connection with the Russians, I trust him. I don't need to see his taxes any more than I need to talk to Jimmy's parents.

Also, when the President says he'll release his taxes, that Obama wiretapped him, that everyone will get health care, that he won't take a salary as POTUS, I believe him. I don't need proof of any of these things any more than I needed to verify that Obama was born in the US.

Two words: cognitive dissonance

I suppose you believed you could keep your Dr and your healthcare insurance would cost less than your monthly cellphone bill lso.
Of course I believed it. But then...A lie is a lie no matter who speaks it.

I never believed it but yes it was a lie, a damned lie and they knew it

You believe way too much considering this is the same people that lie and fuck you over every day.
But to each his own!

If Jimmy pulls in crooked, and enters the door stinking of Boone's Farm wine, and you've caught him in other lies, are you still so trusting?

Ignorance such as the OP describes is a choice. Clearly, he is determined to defend that choice.

Apparently so was Don's "I'm gonna cover everyone".

If Jimmy pulls in crooked, and enters the door stinking of Boone's Farm wine, and you've caught him in other lies, are you still so trusting?

I would suggest a part time job and the leveraging of the resultant funds in the procuring of a better grade of wine.

So you really dont care just how much Trump lies, its just fine with you. I wonder if Obama had pulled this crap how much trust you would have

I would suggest a part time job and the leveraging of the resultant funds in the procuring of a better grade of wine.
Yeah, Boone's Farm? Is that still even a thing any more? What's next? Bartle & James?

Then he could tell a more believable lie, right?

Then he could tell a more believable lie, right?

Is that your goal?

Yeah, Boone's Farm? Is that still even a thing any more? What's next? Bartle & James?

I don't know, haven't looked for it since I was able to drink legally 4 decades ago.

I'm in the belief everybody should cover themselves, get government out of it

So you really dont care just how much Trump lies, its just fine with you. I wonder if Obama had pulled this crap how much trust you would have

Personally I don't think anything about our system is believable and it matters not "which" party is in office, the entire thing runs on illusion and theater.

Trust is a wonderful thing, but what if the cops told you your kid was caught at a drug party, instead of at Jimmy's house? As long as there is no proven history of lies, it,s easy to accept claims at face value.

He wants to lie? Let him lie. If people keep voting for him, then the ends justify the means. That's an argument in favor of ignorance too. Like Kevin Kline said in the severely underrated movie "Silverado," "Some people go through life either trusting everyone and some trusting no one. Doesn't matter much which one they pick."

I'm in the belief everybody should cover themselves, get government out of it

But of course.

Exhibit 2
Total Health Expenditure per Capita and GDP per Capita, US and Selected Countries, 2008

Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (2010), “OECD Health Data”, OECD Health Statistics (database). doi: 10.1787/data-00350-en (Accessed on 14 February 2011).
Notes: Data from Australia and Japan are 2007 data. Figures for Belgium, Canada, Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland, are OECD estimates.

Health Spending and Annual Growth Rates:

In addition to higher health spending, the United States is increasing its spending faster than other countries. Exhibit 3 illustrates the trend in health spending among five countries. The United States’ higher growth rate in the 1990s and the 2000s ensured that it spent far more than other selected countries. While the United States had a slower rate of growth in the early 1990s, the late 1980s and 2000s were defined by an accelerated growth rate.

Exhibit 3
Growth in Total Health Expenditure Per Capita, U.S. and Selected Countries, 1970-2008

Source: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (2010), “OECD Health Data”, OECD Health Statistics (database). doi: 10.1787/data-00350-en (Accessed on 14 February 2011).
Notes: Data from Australia and Japan are 2007 data. Figures for Belgium, Canada, Netherlands, Norway and Switzerland, are OECD estimates. Numbers are PPP adjusted. Break in series: CAN(1995); SWE(1993, 2001); SWI(1995); UK (1997). Numbers are PPP adjusted. Estimates for Canada and Switzerland in 2008.

Forum List

Back