Indians: Had Enough of the Mythology?

I think it's an innate racism..they associate the natives with innocent animals, instead of recognizing their humanity...with all it's flaws.

They were just human. And they did some pretty atrocious things. Ultimately, they were conquered. It doesn't mean they were *nicer* than the people who conquered them. It just means they were weaker.

so by the logic of the strong can kill the weak, we can expect you to stop whining about abortion, then?

Be still my beating heart!

I think it's an innate racism..they associate the natives with innocent animals, instead of recognizing their humanity...with all it's flaws.

They were just human. And they did some pretty atrocious things. Ultimately, they were conquered. It doesn't mean they were *nicer* than the people who conquered them. It just means they were weaker.

so by the logic of the strong can kill the weak, we can expect you to stop whining about abortion, then?

Be still my beating heart!

So....the Africans committed genocide on the poor, innocent, unsuspecting Europeans by sending Bubonic Plague....??

You're a history-challenged moron.

Now...back to the theme.....the stupidity of the Left, exemplified by their romanticized version of the American Indian.

8. "According to the myth of the noble eco-savage, indigenous peoples live in such a sympathetic relationship with the ecosystem that they only kill for their immediate needs, and never on a scale likely to drive species to extinction.... In fact, these ‘cultural mechanisms’ exist primarily in the minds of Western environmentalists.

It is difficult to find any evidence of them amongst the tribal peoples, either now or in the past.... The aim was to kill as much as possible as quickly as possible, with the minimum risk to the hunter. There was no concern for conserving future stocks, nor for taking only as much as was necessary to meet present needs."
Whelan, "Wild in the Woods: The Myth of the Noble Eco-Savage"

A favorite Indian device was the ‘jump’, which meant stampeding herds of animals over a cliff, so that the fall would kill them, described in "Playing God in Yellowstone," by Alston Chase.

"The Vore buffalo jump site in Wyoming...was used five times between 1550 and 1690, and holds the remains of 20,000 buffalo. That means 4,000 or more buffalo were killed each time the jump was used. Other buffalo jumps in the West display the remains of as many as 300,000 buffalo. These sites were so numerous, in fact, and held such large deposits of bone, that for many years they were mined as a source of phosphorus for fertilizer!"
Frison, G.C., "Prehistoric Hunters of the High Plains," pp.239-44

Large amounts of meat were left to rot and herds of animals were decimated, and sometimes driven to local extinction. Buffalo and antelope traps killed so many that it took the herds decades to recover.

And so...as the sun sets over this mysterious land, we say good-bye to the 'Noble Savage,' who is too busy to say good-bye.....

...he's busy burning down forests, and destroying every animal he can find.

The entire idea of the "noble savage" as applied to Native Americans was pretty much the Europeans claimed that the Native Americans were actually ignoble savages to justify their systematic destruction of the tribes in America when they landed and in fact after the US was born.

No one believes that somehow NAs were perfect people and in fact they are just like everyone else. Some good, some bad. The entire argument is nothing but a strawman.

The entire idea of the "noble savage" as applied to Native Americans was pretty much the Europeans claimed that the Native Americans were actually ignoble savages to justify their systematic destruction of the tribes in America when they landed and in fact after the US was born.

No one believes that somehow NAs were perfect people and in fact they are just like everyone else. Some good, some bad. The entire argument is nothing but a strawman.

Cabbie believed it.

Good to see I was able to drag you, kicking and screaming, to the correct view.

Cabbie believed it.

No, he said they weren't a destructive culture. And in fact, compared to modern day civilization, they weren't. That doesn't mean they weren't guilty of mismanaging nature in some instances.

Cabbie believed it.

No, he said they weren't a destructive culture. And in fact, compared to modern day civilization, they weren't. That doesn't mean they weren't guilty of mismanaging nature in some instances.

Good start.

Perhaps today you'd like to go further, and recognize that the slavery that they practiced was as bad as any other cultures that practiced slavery.

Cabbie believed it.

Good start.

Perhaps today you'd like to go further, and recognize that the slavery that they practiced was as bad as any other cultures that practiced slavery.
Nope. If they only enslaved whitey, you'd have a point.

Cabbie believed it.

Good start.

They certainly did.

It does not justify displacing them so that we could turn north America into Wally-World, though.

Like I said before, people are people; none are inherently "better" than anyone else by virtue of their color.

Cabbie believed it.

Good start.

They certainly did.

It does not justify displacing them so that we could turn north America into Wally-World, though.

Like I said before, people are people; none are inherently "better" than anyone else by virtue of their color.

The fact that you're attempting to drag a red herring through the idea of 'color' must mean that you're actually learning.

This may be one of the more amusing attempts at deflection:
"...displacing them so that we could turn north America into Wally-World,..."

Folks do that when they know they've been caught.

Luckily for you, I throw 'em back after I catch 'em.

Cabbie believed it.

Good start.

They certainly did.

The fact that you're attempting to drag a red herring through the idea of 'color' must mean that you're actually learning.

This may be one of the more amusing attempts at deflection:
"...displacing them so that we could turn north America into Wally-World,..."

Folks do that when they know they've been caught.

Luckily for you, I throw 'em back after I catch 'em.

Now....not to let you change the direction, this thread is and will continue to eviscerate your absurd notions about the Indians.

It will set the truth out...and you can learn from it or not.

Notice....I quote you extensively.

Try to do so with me....you won't find any quotes about 'color' or 'displacing.'

No one believes that somehow NAs were perfect people and in fact they are just like everyone else. Some good, some bad.

The entire argument is nothing but a strawman.

:lol: speaking of mythology...

No one believes that somehow NAs were perfect people and in fact they are just like everyone else. Some good, some bad.

You must be simply exhausted....what with the sort of effort in your non-post.

Nothing's changed, huh?

PC tries to defeat strawmen just like the Europeans tried to defeat Native Americans. The Europeans had more success.

PC tries to defeat strawmen just like the Europeans tried to defeat Native Americans. The Europeans had more success.

:lol: he must be projecting about all that "exhaustion"...

Forum List

Back