🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Indonesia Earthquake and Tsunami

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
Indonesia got hit by a 7.5 magnitude Earthquake followed by a Tsunami.

Death toll in Indonesia from earthquake and tsunami could reach into the thousands, nation’s vice president says

JAKARTA — Just 34 minutes after Indonesia was hit by another major earthquake, officials called off a tsunami warning. Aid agencies and others — still dealing with the aftermath of a devastating quake in August — breathed a sigh of relief.

What they didn’t know was that, just about that same time, a 10-foot wall of seawater was tearing through the city of Palu and other areas Friday on an island in the center of the vast Indonesian archipelago.

Amid the roar of onrushing sea and terrified cries for help, the tsunami tore homes off their foundations, snapped palm trees and dragged away victims — some preparing for a beach festival at dusk on Friday. Bodies were later left on the sand as the waters receded, and some were dragged out to sea.

More than 420 died in Palu alone, officials said Saturday as they began to take stock of the devastation and count the dead amid fears the tally could rise significantly from the 7.5 magnitude quake and the tsunami that churned over parts of Sulawesi, about 800 miles northwest of Jakarta.

Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla, in an interview with local media, said the death toll could reach well into the thousands.

23KBJHGD5MI6RFCR5B4PS27BTM.jpg

Death toll in Indonesia from earthquake and tsunami could reach into the thousands, nation’s vice president says

JAKARTA — Just 34 minutes after Indonesia was hit by another major earthquake, officials called off a tsunami warning. Aid agencies and others — still dealing with the aftermath of a devastating quake in August — breathed a sigh of relief.

What they didn’t know was that, just about that same time, a 10-foot wall of seawater was tearing through the city of Palu and other areas Friday on an island in the center of the vast Indonesian archipelago.

Amid the roar of onrushing sea and terrified cries for help, the tsunami tore homes off their foundations, snapped palm trees and dragged away victims — some preparing for a beach festival at dusk on Friday. Bodies were later left on the sand as the waters receded, and some were dragged out to sea.

More than 420 died in Palu alone, officials said Saturday as they began to take stock of the devastation and count the dead amid fears the tally could rise significantly from the 7.5 magnitude quake and the tsunami that churned over parts of Sulawesi, about 800 miles northwest of Jakarta.

Indonesian Vice President Jusuf Kalla, in an interview with local media, said the death toll could reach well into the thousands.

I have a kid there. Lot of major quakes the last few years.

The last time Indonesia had a major earthquake and tsunami, the Islamic religious leaders in the Aceh province, told their people that it was because they weren't religious enough. Apparently, they still have a ways to go.

Tsunami in Indonesia: cries for help from rubble amid fears thousands dead

Horrific.

Indonesia’s vice-president, Jusuf Kalla, has warned the death toll from the earthquake and tsunami that struck the island of Sulawesi could rise into the thousands, as more than 150 aftershocks hit the region.

The confirmed death toll from the disaster has reached 832, the national disaster agency said on Sunday afternoon, but that is expected to rise significantly as rescuers scramble to reach the worst-hit areas. Kalla said there had been “no word” yet about casualties in Donggala, home to 300,000 people. Authorities also fear many people in the area may have been washed out to sea.

There were particular concerns about the whereabouts of hundreds of people preparing for a beach festival that had been due to start on Friday, a spokesman for the BNPB national disaster agency said.

At least 540 people had been badly injured, the agency said, as hospitals struggled to cope with the influx of casualties, setting up open-air clinics to treat the injured.

Some of those wounded, including Dwi Haris, who suffered a broken back and shoulder, rested outside Palu’s army hospital, where patients were being treated outdoors due to continuing strong aftershocks. Tears filled his eyes as he recounted feeling the violent earthquake shake the fifth-floor hotel room he shared with his wife and daughter.

“There was no time to save ourselves. I was squeezed into the ruins of the wall, I think,” said Haris, adding that his family was in town for a wedding. “I heard my wife cry for help, but then silence. I don’t know what happened to her and my child. I hope they are safe.”

The last time Indonesia had a major earthquake and tsunami, the Islamic religious leaders in the Aceh province, told their people that it was because they weren't religious enough. Apparently, they still have a ways to go.

also because of the SATAN--the US

Horrific for sure and the videos are scary as hell.
My hunch is that ultimately the death toll here could ultimately top the one in Japan (over 16,000) in 2011.
Maybe Trump could swing by with some paper towels? :rolleyes:
This is current events not politics........this is news going on in the world........buzz off

Current events can't be politics? I see
Sorry, it is fair to ask what Trump will do. Probability nothing - paper towel flippage would be cool though.

1x1ngc.jpg

using your partisanship derail the thread?

not a good idea

not a good idea

You accusing me of partisan thread derailment is rich to say the very least ;)

Trump has nothing to do with this, so far.

you injecting him is.....derailing.

Nay Will - His pathetic response to PR after Maria puts him directly in the middle of the conversation.
Let me ask again .. Has Trump responded to this terrible human tragedy -
Or are they just another "shithole country" that he gives not one Cornered Rat's Fuck about?
Sorry, but I can't even find a White House statement
white house response to tsunmi in indonesia 2018

not a good idea

You accusing me of partisan thread derailment is rich to say the very least ;)

Trump has nothing to do with this, so far.

you injecting him is.....derailing.

Nay Will - His pathetic response to PR after Maria puts him directly in the middle of the conversation.
Let me ask again .. Has Trump responded to this terrible human tragedy -
Or are they just another "shithole country" that he gives not one Cornered Rat's Fuck about?
Sorry, but I can't even find a White House statement
white house response to tsunmi in indonesia 2018

Should he have gone to PR, and held the mayor and governors hand, to prevent them from stealing/hiding the rescue supplies?

He got the supplies there, it wasn't his job to hand them out

Thanks man, I've been watching these videos. They are horrific and disturbing.
One of these is LONG overdue along the Oregon/ Washington/ British Columbia and/or SW Alaska coasts.
Pray that it doesn't happen in our lifetimes or those of our kids or theirs who live there.
That one would make this 7.5 look like a baby.

Forum List

Back