"Intellectual pursuits may buffer the brain against addiction"

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Intellectual pursuits may buffer the brain against addiction

"Challenging the idea that addiction is hardwired in the brain, a new UC Berkeley study of mice suggests that even a short time spent in a stimulating learning environment can rewire the brain's reward system and buffer it against drug dependence.

Scientists tracked cocaine cravings in more than 70 adult male mice and found that those rodents whose daily drill included exploration, learning and finding hidden tasty morsels were less likely than their enrichment-deprived counterparts to seek solace in a chamber where they had been given cocaine.

"We have compelling behavioral evidence that self-directed exploration and learning altered their reward systems so that when cocaine was experienced it made less of an impact on their brain," said Linda Wilbrecht, assistant professor of psychology and neuroscience at UC Berkeley and senior author of the paper just published in the journal, Neuropharmacology."

"Dad, when I grow up I wanna give cocaine to mice and see what happens."

"Shut up and get back to your chores!" :)

"Challenging the idea that addiction is hardwired in the brain, a new UC Berkeley study of mice suggests that even a short time spent in a stimulating learning environment can rewire the brain's reward system and buffer it against drug dependence.

Scientists tracked cocaine cravings in more than 70 adult male mice and found that those rodents whose daily drill included exploration, learning and finding hidden tasty morsels were less likely than their enrichment-deprived counterparts to seek solace in a chamber where they had been given cocaine.

"We have compelling behavioral evidence that self-directed exploration and learning altered their reward systems so that when cocaine was experienced it made less of an impact on their brain," said Linda Wilbrecht, assistant professor of psychology and neuroscience at UC Berkeley and senior author of the paper just published in the journal, Neuropharmacology."

Interesting.

Kind of makes sense when you think of stereotypical addicts, inner city bums with no jobs, or hollywood stars with jobs that are primarily looking good.

Obviously information that could be used to treat addition, also.

Interesting.

Kind of makes sense when you think of stereotypical addicts, inner city bums with no jobs, or hollywood stars with jobs that are primarily looking good.

What came to my mind was how annedotally at least, many in Mensa are alcoholics.

Interesting.

What came to my mind was how annedotally at least, many in Mensa are alcoholics.

I have never heard of that.

But if you consider that those that join Mensa are bored geniuses, then yes.

Funny, even Freud did coke...his colleagues did mescal....Addiction does not occur in every one that touches or has interactions with an addictive substance..Only in 20%...

Interesting.

I have never heard of that.

But if you consider that those that join Mensa are bored geniuses, then yes.

Why Intelligent People Drink More Alcohol Psychology Today

"Consistent with the prediction of the Hypothesis, more intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, grow up to consume alcohol more frequently and in greater quantities than less intelligent children. Controlling for a large number of demographic variables, such as sex, race, ethnicity, religion, marital status, number of children, education, earnings, depression, satisfaction with life, frequency of socialization with friends, number of recent sex partners, childhood social class, mother's education, and father's education, more intelligent children grow up to drink more alcohol in the UK and the US."

Forum List

Back