interesting article on brain dead definations

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
What’s the difference between brain dead and a vegetative state?

While a brain-dead person shows no sign of electrical activity in the brain, a person suffering from extreme brain damage can often exhibit some normal bodily functions, doctors say. The body essentially goes into autopilot: It can sweat when it’s hot, digest food and control its own heartbeat.

“A vegetative state means the person is so brain-damaged that they have no higher cognitive awareness of what’s going on around them,” Resnick said. “But they still have some brain stimulation.”

shit left out

What is the cost of keeping someone brain dead alive?

With medical care, doctors and equipment required, it doesn’t come cheap. Caplan estimates it could be a staggering $7,500 per day.

And would insurance cover it?

No, because, legally, the person is considered dead.

Case of Jahi McMath raises questions about life after brain death - U.S. News

some of this information is very enlightening

Keep wondering if brain death is no neural-electrical activity, and brain-life is some, why not try shocking the brain with some juice to see if it gets going again? Maybe a bit Frankenstein, but is she's dead already it's not like it's gonna hurt her, and if she comes back that's what'd matter.

I think it is unmerciful to keep Jahi alive. She has no awareness of her existence. At some point these parents need to acknowledge the hand fate has dealt them. However, I am curious as to how a routine tonsillectomy could result in such a tragedy, the doctor needs should be investigated.

Keep wondering if brain death is no neural-electrical activity, and brain-life is some, why not try shocking the brain with some juice to see if it gets going again? Maybe a bit Frankenstein, but is she's dead already it's not like it's gonna hurt her, and if she comes back that's what'd matter.

She is a human being, Delta, not a guinea pig.

She was a human being. Hard as I'm praying for a miracle, she's been dead for over 3 weeks. But instead of simply 'unplugging' her, turn a tragedy into something positive and see if brain death can be treated. Most of us sign our dl's volunteering ourselves to be organ donors and otherwidse be experimented on, she's too young to have done that, but if such experimentation acts as a first domino to helping others it could be her legacy.

the operation was a success....but she began bleeding then went into cardiac arrest

i do not know about experimenting on the 'brain dead' or vegetative states

seems global medical science refused to use things learned from nazi experiments for a reason

She was a human being. Hard as I'm praying for a miracle, she's been dead for over 3 weeks. But instead of simply 'unplugging' her, turn a tragedy into something positive and see if brain death can be treated. Most of us sign our dl's volunteering ourselves to be organ donors and otherwidse be experimented on, she's too young to have done that, but if such experimentation acts as a first domino to helping others it could be her legacy.

again the paperwork doesnt matter......once you are dead...its up to your next of kin as to what happens to you...the dead dont sue

You are a human being until your last heartbeat. Period.

the operation was a success....but she began bleeding then went into cardiac arrest

i do not know about experimenting on the 'brain dead' or vegetative states

seems global medical science refused to use things learned from nazi experiments for a reason

Really? Medicine refused to use what exactly?

Unfortunately, that's not the standard as you can dig up a corpse at a cementary, hook it up to life support machines and start pumping blood making its heart beat. Doesn't make it alive.

No, the hospital didn't kill her.

The news said after the operation the girl was awake and eating a popsicle.

Then all at once she went into cardiac arrest and slipped into a coma.

Sometimes people just die for unknown reasons. .. :(

Every trauamatic brain injury is different.

I worked in a Neuro surgery ward when I was a corpsman.

It was without doubt the worst duty in the Nursing department, even worse than dirty surgery.

Why?

Because you're handservant to a person who cannot ever say thank you in any way shape or form.

I and many of my fellow corpsman very quickly suffered from compassion fatigue dealing with these patients.

It became easy to RESENT these unfortunates.

Few of us lasted long on those wards because of this problem.

Unfortunately, that's not the standard as you can dig up a corpse at a cementary, hook it up to life support machines and start pumping blood making its heart beat. Doesn't make it alive.

You can't restart a heart after that long let alone after embalming fluid and decomposition

The hospital 'killed' her so they should bear the costs

Absolutely. I'm sure there'll be a 'wrongful death' lawsuit eventually. But until some resolution is reached they can't start that process.

One would think that the family would get a few thousand dollars out of a wrongful death lawsuit. The likelihood of that happening now is pretty slim. Once deceased, the body became evidence in that lawsuit. By moving her, that evidence has been tampered with and spoiled. Then, too, the mother had to sign a waiver in order to move the body. We don't know what the waiver said. It could have included a release of all claims.

You can't restart a heart after that long let alone after embalming fluid and decomposition

Jahia's heart was never restarted. It's working exactly the same as it would if she had been dug up and hooked up.

Surely you don't expect humanity from people that kill babies in the womb?

She is a human being, Delta, not a guinea pig.

Oh please.

Why is it you NEVER bother to educate yourself before holding forth as though you have a frikken clue. Then later, you post one of your pathetic little threads whining about what an idiot you are.

Grow up and read a little history.

Forum List

Back