Internet Toxicity

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
"Life is too short to worry about anonymous internet activity. You have to look inward and block it out. What they are saying is a reflection of their life, not yours. Fighting back on their level is pointless. Eventually they tire out. Keep building, keep dreaming."

Adam Orth presents an in-depth and unfiltered look at toxic online behavior and destructive mob-mentality within the gaming and internet community by examining the phenomenon through the lens of his personal experience, highlighting the progressive methods the game industry is currently using against the epidemic, and inspiring developers as a community to rebuild the foundation of online and community through positive academic, communal and mechanical revolution.
GDC Vault - Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community

Discuss internet hate and how to choose empathy rather than hate. Adam Orth is a internet game creator.

Has the internet helped or hindered the expression of public opinion and what is or isn't "toxicity". Certainly death threats would be a misuse of the internet.

"Life is too short to worry about anonymous internet activity. You have to look inward and block it out. What they are saying is a reflection of their life, not yours. Fighting back on their level is pointless. Eventually they tire out. Keep building, keep dreaming."

Adam Orth presents an in-depth and unfiltered look at toxic online behavior and destructive mob-mentality within the gaming and internet community by examining the phenomenon through the lens of his personal experience, highlighting the progressive methods the game industry is currently using against the epidemic, and inspiring developers as a community to rebuild the foundation of online and community through positive academic, communal and mechanical revolution.
GDC Vault - Mob Rules: The Destructive Power of Opinion and Online Community

Discuss internet hate and how to choose empathy rather than hate. Adam Orth is a internet game creator.
Is someone doing this here?

The internet has undoubtedly helped the expression of public opinion.

It has also given birth to trolls.

I guess we need internet filter mentality. Decide what is and what is not a rational discussion, if that's what one is looking for. Decide who may just be trolling for their own amusement or an attempt to inflict emotional distress.

Listen to who we want to listen to and interact accordingly. People can block out someone in the same room or social gathering. doing it online is actually easier, IMO. if after a few, handful, or whatever posts I decide someone is just a consistent jerkoff, I basically pay no attention to what they're saying any longer. Admittedly, my jerkoff standard is my own, but I think everyone has to decide for themselves who/what they'd actually like to interact with and not...

I guess we need internet filter mentality. Decide what is and what is not a rational discussion, if that's what one is looking for. Decide who may just be trolling for their own amusement or an attempt to inflict emotional distress.

Listen to who we want to listen to and interact accordingly. People can block out someone in the same room or social gathering. doing it online is actually easier, IMO. if after a few, handful, or whatever posts I decide someone is just a consistent jerkoff, I basically pay no attention to what they're saying any longer. Admittedly, my jerkoff standard is my own, but I think everyone has to decide for themselves who/what they'd actually like to interact with and not...
I completel agree. It's a matter of choosing who to interact with and who to ignore. I think if you choose to ignore the person you can't be wishy washy about it. You have to NEVER engage them.

I hope people take the time to listen to Adam Orth's experience, what he learned and how it moved him forward in his business.

If it's so toxic, why go where it is most prevalent? Hello? Anyone home, McFly?
Would you move to a gang infested neighborhood knowing it was dangerous to your mental health? No.
Would you go to cafe's and coffee shops that you know have been cited for serving rotten food? No.

"Normal" people with common sense know when to bail certain areas...not sit on a corner and cry/sob about their situation.

It's a question for me of bringing more mindfulness into my internet posting.

I wouldn't want anyone here to have to go through Adam Orth's experience.

I completel agree. It's a matter of choosing who to interact with and who to ignore. I think if you choose to ignore the person you can't be wishy washy about it. You have to NEVER engage them.

I don't have such a hard 'rule' about never, ever engaging them again.

Thing is, normally it's a mistake, I'll agree. Old grudges never die for some people and they can use that re-engagement to dredge up the same old, same old, whether it's 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 years later, and slip immediately back into the same old schema all over again. That, in turn, can lead to us doing the same and then we're literally right back where we started.

On the other hand if folks can kind of move on I've got no problems there re-engaging.

Those that are just here to argue politics I can re-engage with, as that's just kind of the nature of the beast IMO. Things get heated on both ends at times, things cool down. I don't take that personally or infer that they're necessarily nasty at their core, even if they get so during a disagreement, and I know I can at times also. If the sneer is permanent from then on, yeah, I'm done.

People can be nasty bastards that get pleasure from actively trying to hurt someone. Those people are on a very short fuse, far as I'm concerned, in terms of whether or not I'm willing to engage with them at all. I'm not going to try to reason with them, change them, understand them or anything else. It's just not why I'm here.

But I guess people have to decide for themselves where those lines are based on what works for them. Once those are decided, I'd agree they can be permanent and, in some cases, probably should be.

It's also a question of the amount of time one spends on the internet. The more time spent, the more toxic it can be.

First of all don't let them take up space inside your head. Most are ass holes and tiny minds. They have no life outside the forum's. I post a reply get responses argue and move on. Who gives a Fuck what others think. It's what you think that matters most.

Forum List

Back