Investments are what exactly?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
Lets say I invest a little money in a private company......is that the same thing as buying stock?

Is there a difference between an investment and stock? If so, what?

If the company goes public, what would that mean for my investment?

Trying to find out how all of this works. Thanks!

Lets say I invest a little money in a private company......is that the same thing as buying stock?

Are you asking if not buying a stock is the same as buying stock?

No, it's not.

Yes, there are different types of investment. Annuities, 401k, Life insurance, bank CD, etc. Not all investments are stock.

That you make money based on the IPO price

It depends. Stocks represent ownership in a publicly-traded company. You own a part of it. If you are investing in the ownership of a private company, then you own part or all of it. However, if the "investment" is a loan to the private company, then that's not the same. Also, with a publicly-traded stock, you can sell it with a touch of a button. You cannot with a private company.

Yes and no. If you invest in a publicly-traded stock, then yes. But if you invest in a bond, a house or a collection of baseball cards, then no. "Investment" means committing your capital with the intent of making a return. Stocks are one of many types of investments.

If you owned common equity in a company that was going public, then after a lock-up period, you would be be able to sell your stock at the push of a button.

Last edited:

You could strike a private deal with a small company..it's whatever terms the two parties agree upon

Are you asking if not buying a stock is the same as buying stock?

No, it's not.

Yes, there are different types of investment. Annuities, 401k, Life insurance, bank CD, etc. Not all investments are stock.

That you make money based on the IPO price
annuities and 401k's also can have and often do have stocks as part or most of the holdings.

Honestly

Read a book
Or talk to a financial advisor

Forum List

Back