Is god a bigot?

God isn't a bigot. God is irrelevant. Nowadays, illegal aliens get such positive press, Gays are also getting all this warm positive attention and the pro-gun NRA folks are making killing elementary kids look like it’s like it’s those liberals fault. I have to wonder: where has rationality gone in this country?

Last edited:
God isn't a bigot. God is irrelevant. Nowadays, illegal aliens get such positive press, Gays are also getting all this warm positive attention and the pro-gun NRA folks are making killing elementary kids look like it’s like it’s those liberals fault. I have to wonder: where has rationality gone in this country?

You claim God is irrelavant and then ask where has all the rationality gone in this country. I have to believe as God leaves a nation, He takes rationality with Him. Our economy is on the rocks and the topic of concern is allowing two men who neck to call it marriage. I can see it now, Pearl Harbor gets attacked and President Roosevelt speaks concerning "Gay" marriage... The Titanic is sinking and Captian Smith says, "Well let me first marry that lovely "gay" couple and then we'll uncover the lifeboats. And oh, by the way, please tell the band to stop playing Nearer My God to Thee. It's getting old."

Last edited:
IS GOD A BIGOT?

If Sodom and Gomorrah were around today it would be an exemplary city according to the majority of the leaders of this nation. A sanctuary city for homosexuals?

Why did GOD destroy Sodom and Gomorrah?

Genesis 19;4-15
4Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old-surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."[/I]

It was shortly after this that the angels led Lot out of the city and destroyed it.

15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished."

Is GOD a bigot? Because that is what MSNBC and supporters of same sex marriage call people who oppose same sex marriage?

Actually God is Just and you are irrelevant

I never said you did. You pretty clearly said there is no supernatural agent, that we are, in effect, our own gods.

If that's so, then why can we not will ourselves not to die? How far do our "powers" to determine the future go and what limits them?

To your first comment, what point is there in suggesting that "we are, in effect, our own gods"?

Your comment seems to beg some unasked question or to press some unnamed agenda.

I have no requirement for gods. It appears that nature functions with complete independence from your gods or anyone else's gods.

If you have a desire to be your own god, have at it.

Human culture has a history of inventing supernatural entities to explain that which we didn't understand or that which we could not readily explain. When there was a gap in our knowledge of processes or mechanisms, it was tempting for societies or cultures to abandon pressing deeper for knowledge and to accept the easy (and lazy) alternative of defeat and say 'god did it' (or more often 'the gods did it').

As to your second comment, I'd suggest biology 101. Cell biology is plagued by replication errors and faulty coding. Doesn't that speak to an Incompetent "designer" as oppossed to an Imperfect nature?

Honestly, you could easily have done your own homework and discovered these answers.

So, we make our own plan, determine our own fate, build our own world...up to the point of death. THAT we have no control over, but everything else we do. We create our own reality.

I've known an awful lot of people who subscribed to that theory, whether they could verbalize it or not, and most of them invariably ended up staring off into space and wondering what the hell happened. They had it all figured out, had their lives planned to T, but somewhere along the way it all fell apart and left them empty. Even those few who managed to succeed, against all the odds and the vagaries of time and fate, still got to the end of their lives and found they'd accomplished....nothing. Having won all the battles and collected all the toys, they stared into the open grave and wondered if they'd wasted their lives in the vain pursuit of selfish goals. The answer is yes, they did.

But, you don't see that yet. I'm guessing you're fairly young, or old and still terribly naive, and have not yet butted up against the reality that in truth, you control very little. Control is an illusion, a tempting and satisfying illusion, but still a just mirage.

Good luck. I hope I live long enough to see how it turns out for you. If I'm not here when the lie of control is finally revealed, please do what millions before you have done when their path stopped at a dead end: turn to someone of Faith. They'll have the answers you need then, and only them.

I’m sorry, OG. What I took away from your post was that you are dealing as best you can with some profound disappointments in your life.

If you find comfort in your religious beliefs I hope they can help you through your difficulties.

To your first comment, what point is there in suggesting that "we are, in effect, our own gods"?

Your comment seems to beg some unasked question or to press some unnamed agenda.

I have no requirement for gods. It appears that nature functions with complete independence from your gods or anyone else's gods.

If you have a desire to be your own god, have at it.

Human culture has a history of inventing supernatural entities to explain that which we didn't understand or that which we could not readily explain. When there was a gap in our knowledge of processes or mechanisms, it was tempting for societies or cultures to abandon pressing deeper for knowledge and to accept the easy (and lazy) alternative of defeat and say 'god did it' (or more often 'the gods did it').

As to your second comment, I'd suggest biology 101. Cell biology is plagued by replication errors and faulty coding. Doesn't that speak to an Incompetent "designer" as oppossed to an Imperfect nature?

Honestly, you could easily have done your own homework and discovered these answers.

So, we make our own plan, determine our own fate, build our own world...up to the point of death. THAT we have no control over, but everything else we do. We create our own reality.

I've known an awful lot of people who subscribed to that theory, whether they could verbalize it or not, and most of them invariably ended up staring off into space and wondering what the hell happened. They had it all figured out, had their lives planned to T, but somewhere along the way it all fell apart and left them empty. Even those few who managed to succeed, against all the odds and the vagaries of time and fate, still got to the end of their lives and found they'd accomplished....nothing. Having won all the battles and collected all the toys, they stared into the open grave and wondered if they'd wasted their lives in the vain pursuit of selfish goals. The answer is yes, they did.

But, you don't see that yet. I'm guessing you're fairly young, or old and still terribly naive, and have not yet butted up against the reality that in truth, you control very little. Control is an illusion, a tempting and satisfying illusion, but still a just mirage.

Good luck. I hope I live long enough to see how it turns out for you. If I'm not here when the lie of control is finally revealed, please do what millions before you have done when their path stopped at a dead end: turn to someone of Faith. They'll have the answers you need then, and only them.

I’m sorry, OG. What I took away from your post was that you are dealing as best you can with some profound disappointments in your life.

If you find comfort in your religious beliefs I hope they can help you through your difficulties.

Me? Oh, no. I don't have any more disappointments than anyone else. That's just a part of life.

No, instead, I have a full and complete life and have found that joy and peace which surpasses understanding and I only found it through that God you say does not exist.

You think what you believe is new and profound, but it's not. Self determination is one of the oldest canards in the book, a most successful lie and one which even Solomon fell for, even with all his wisdom. In fact, he wrote a book about the Great Disillusionment which comes from pleasing yourself more than 3000 years ago. It's the book of Ecclesiastes.

IS GOD A BIGOT?

If Sodom and Gomorrah were around today it would be an exemplary city according to the majority of the leaders of this nation. A sanctuary city for homosexuals?

Genesis 19;4-15
4Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old-surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."

It was shortly after this that the angels led Lot out of the city and destroyed it.

15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, "Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished."

Is GOD a bigot? Because that is what MSNBC and supporters of same sex marriage call people who oppose same sex marriage?

(My bold)

No, by the terms you've stated, God isn't a bigot, because that is what they call people who oppose same-sex marriage. Since God isn't a person, He can't be a bigoted person, either. (This is assuming that the definition of God is at least approximately correct - someone who transcends reality.)

How can anyone who believes in God be a liberal?

Pretty easily.

GOD is typically made in man's image

Note how people's vision of GOD fits in perfectly with their own POVs about how the world is supposed to work.

Authoritarian-minded people love an authoritarian jealous and vengeful god like the one found in the OT

Loving people love a loving GOD, like the one described in the NT.

How can anyone who believes in God be a liberal?

Pretty easily.

GOD is typically made in man's image

Note how people's vision of GOD fits in perfectly with their own POVs about how the world is supposed to work.

Authoritarian-minded people love an authoritarian jealous and vengeful god like the one found in the OT

Loving people love a loving GOD, like the one described in the NT.
Your cynicism illustrates my point better than I could have. Thank you.

IS GOD A BIGOT?

Genesis 19;4-15
4Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old-surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."[/I]

I am no proponent of gay marriage, but to be fair, those in Sodom were not just gay, they were vile rapists. And that was probably their better qualities.

The most important incident regarding Sodom and Gomorrah was the incident of the cities men wanting to have sex with the angels that visited Lot and shortly the city was destroyed.

GOD oppose homosexuality and he is not a bigot but I oppose homosexuality and I am a begot?

How can you speak of a God that you claim doesn't exist?

For the same reason we can speak of Zeus, Isis, Thor, Shiva or Superman when they don't exist; because they are myths that were created.

"Ezekial 16:49: Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."
Nothing related to homosexuality.

The god of the bible is not only a bigot, but also a genocidal, petty, and vindictive asshole......and he's also just another superstitious myth.

The dictionary defines a bigot as a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

If you regard or treat gays with hatred and intolerance, then you may be a bigot.

How can you speak of a God that you claim doesn't exist?

For the same reason we can speak of Zeus, Isis, Thor, Shiva or Superman when they don't exist; because they are myths that were created.

But they do exist. You just admitted they were created. How could something that was created not exist?

My point was, if a person claims there is no God, then why spend so much time debating Him?

Your turn.

"Ezekial 16:49: Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."
Nothing related to homosexuality.

The god of the bible is not only a bigot, but also a genocidal, petty, and vindictive asshole......and he's also just another superstitious myth.

The dictionary defines a bigot as a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially one who regards or treats the members of a group with hatred and intolerance.

If you regard or treat gays with hatred and intolerance, then you may be a bigot.

Your definition is a tad disingenuous.

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Note the ";".

a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race

bigot
n : a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions
differing from his own

Forum List

Back