Is going to college beneficial or is that a lie?

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
I was told by another poster i will not name that too many people go to college. The reasoning is that its all a lie that college teaches you the skills to get a higher paying job.

Why do too many people go to college? Because they've been sold a lie that going to college gives you skills to get a high paying job.

i went to college and got a degree in my field and secured a higher paying job because of the skills I acquired. Not only did I learn the skills I also received a degree that certified I was qualified for the prerequisites for the job. Before anyone thinks I left something out this is literally all the poster gave me to go on. Anyone agree with the posters premise?

Not all college degrees have equal marketable value.

It's especially important for anyone thinking about taking out student loans for a degree to evaluate his future earning potential. Too many graduates are saddled with massive amounts of debt for degrees that have virtually no economic value. The fact that such loans are handed out without an appraisal for the value of the education is fraud, imo.

It's especially important for anyone thinking about taking out student loans for a degree to evaluate his future earning potential. Too many graduates are saddled with massive amounts of debt for degrees that have virtually no economic value. The fact that such loans are handed out without an appraisal for the value of the education is fraud, imo.

Maybe thats what the poster meant to convey. Still its pretty much a known fact that people with degrees make more on average than people without them.

Right wingers like Rick Santorum and the bulk of the Republican Party that agrees with him make no distinction.

Science is a faith, evolution a lie, climate change a conspiracy, education is for snobs and liberal college professors only want to turn your kids into communists.

It's one of the reasons Red States are a mess and only get by with money from the very "liberals" they hate. Worse, they try to blame it on minorities. The US over all is 71% white. Many of the Red States, like Kentucky and Tennessee are 90% or more white (just like the Republican Party). So they can't blame it on minorities how ever hard they try. It's following 150 years of destructive and discredited conservative policies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe thats what the poster meant to convey. Still its pretty much a known fact that people with degrees make more on average than people without them.

They also enjoy greater job security and shorter periods of unemployment after a job loss.

Needless to say a college degree is no guarantee to a higher paying job or job security, but both are extremely difficult to realize without a four-year degree.

Reasonable people can't dispute such obvious facts. Worse, there are 3.8 million jobs that are going unfilled because of a "skills gap". Can you imagine unemployment if those jobs were taken? It would drop a whole point at least, maybe two.

Reasonable people can't dispute such obvious facts. Worse, there are 3.8 million jobs that are going unfilled because of a "skills gap". Can you imagine unemployment if those jobs were taken? It would drop a whole point at least, maybe two.

Trade schools

Solo...the official cup of college education:

red-cups-plastic-cups.jpg

Yes, but what's happened is that overeducated graduates have taken jobs that used to require only a high school education (of course, the illiteracy rate among high school grads makes requiring a BA for a barrista job more understandable as well).

I've always thought that college was over rated. The whole four-year thing ... the 'required' stuff isn't necessary, imo. Go in, learn your field of study, get out. Two years max.

More and more jobs are requiring a four year degree, jobs that in no way should they require a four year degree. Administrative assistant? Please. BTDT several times. Learn the basics (associates degree or comparable experience) and go from there.

My most recent job (counted the drug inventory of pharmaceutical sales reps) required a four year degree. Seriously, if you had half a brain, could walk and chew gum at the same time you could do the job. It just wasn't that complicated. Bullshit on the degree.

Yes, but what's happened is that overeducated graduates have taken jobs that used to require only a high school education (of course, the illiteracy rate among high school grads makes requiring a BA for a barrista job more understandable as well).

Wouldnt that be a function of the economy and not college? When higher paying jobs are created who is going to get first dibs the guy with the hs diploma or the guy with a degree?

Wouldnt that be a function of the economy and not college? When higher paying jobs are created who is going to get first dibs the guy with the hs diploma or the guy with a degree?

You are missing the point. A large portion of graduates cannot find jobs related to their degrees, so they are taking lower paid jobs that used to go to high school graduates.

Very true.

They also enjoy greater job security and shorter periods of unemployment after a job loss.

Needless to say a college degree is no guarantee to a higher paying job or job security, but both are extremely difficult to realize without a four-year degree.

Wrong on all counts.
Some of the stats are because the groups are self selecting. If you shut down all colleges the same people who would have gone will still do better than the people who would not have gone.
We see the unemployment/underemployment rate of recent grads is close to 50%. That represents tremendous waste, both of time and money. Many people in college had no business going in the first place. They would have been far better off training as welders or mechanics--areas where they had actual talent. Instead they waste their time taking courses they dont really understand and being subjected to indoctrination by ivory tower liberals.

The value in a college education, imo (and I also hire and fire at work) is that you have a more well rounded knowledge. Things like literature, psychology, history, and government. It is hard for some people to understand why one would need to have a basic understanding of chemistry if they are studying law, but I have found in my 57 years that everything I learned in college has come in handy in some way, in my life and career.

Can one succeed without a college degree? Absolutely.

Last edited:
I was told by another poster i will not name that too many people go to college. The reasoning is that its all a lie that college teaches you the skills to get a higher paying job.

Why do too many people go to college? Because they've been sold a lie that going to college gives you skills to get a high paying job.

i went to college and got a degree in my field and secured a higher paying job because of the skills I acquired. Not only did I learn the skills I also received a degree that certified I was qualified for the prerequisites for the job. Before anyone thinks I left something out this is literally all the poster gave me to go on. Anyone agree with the posters premise?

For dome jobs, college is useful (I'm thinking doctor, lawyer). It's also useful because many companies require a four year degree no matter what (however that doesn't mean that intrinsically the experience was useful).

I work in Finance at a large company and acquired 90% of my skills on the job. Could have done without the 4 year, $60k+ education that I'll be paying off for the next 25 years. Feel it's sort of a scam that everyone - no matter what - must attend at least 4 years.

Lets cut that down to 1-2 for some professions and save folks some money.

It's very difficult however to end such a gigantic cash cow once it's been built out like our educational system has..

Last edited:

You are missing the point. A large portion of graduates cannot find jobs related to their degrees, so they are taking lower paid jobs that used to go to high school graduates.

But thats still an economic thing and not that people shouldnt go to college.

Wrong on all counts.
Some of the stats are because the groups are self selecting. If you shut down all colleges the same people who would have gone will still do better than the people who would not have gone.
We see the unemployment/underemployment rate of recent grads is close to 50%. That represents tremendous waste, both of time and money. Many people in college had no business going in the first place. They would have been far better off training as welders or mechanics--areas where they had actual talent. Instead they waste their time taking courses they dont really understand and being subjected to indoctrination by ivory tower liberals.

How can you possible prove that? Basically what you are saying is that people that are college bound are predetermined to be successful. Thats not even close to being true. There are a lot of billionaires and millionaires that would disagree.

depends on your degree

i went to post grad and without it i wouldn't be making anywhere near the money i make now

If you are not majoring in math, science, engineering, computer science or healthcare...you would probably be better served enlisting in the Army for four years, get paid to learn, and come out with a marketable skill and experience, plus money for college.

Forum List

Back