Is it just me?

Roudy

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2012
Have you guys noticed regarding the 3 kidnapped and raped girls in Ohio...most of families seem to be low-class rif raf types. One of the girl's brothers (I believe her last name was Knight) came on CNN and said his mother was a bitch and allowed his uncle to rape and abuse him etc. And then Ashley Banfeild switched the subject saying "so this poor girl went from bad to much worse..."

Reason I bring it up is it seemed like the perpetrator Ariel Castro was pure evil, probably cased the girls he was going to kidnap, based on the type of background and families.

I do believe predators profile their victims in many cases, Roudy. To be be fair to these girls and their families, the greatest riff raff I have personally ever encountered in my entire life came from a very prominent family. Quite wealthy. Money has little to do with class. Especially these days.

About the brother. I didn't hear about it so I am going by what you are saying here. To me, if it helps the brother to express his outrage - to tell the world what his uncle did to him and how his mother allowed it? By all means, do it.

It is a form of therapy and we should love him through it. Personally, I would not humiliate my own mother by name publicly to such a charge but if he feels he must do it so be it. Whatever helps him heal. We don't know that this isn't something he has kept bottled up inside of him for years never having the opportunity to express himself.

Obviously this is a very unusual moment in which the world is listening so if it helps him to tell us about it - then let's applaud his bravery and validate his own suffering.

It could be that the attention his sister is receiving worldwide for the sexual abuse she suffered is what triggered his own need to state the truth about the sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of his uncle. It sounds like he feels a need to be validated as a human being too. I say give it to him. My heart goes out to the young man. I'll keep him in my prayers. Poor guy. - Jeri

I do believe predators profile their victims in many cases, Roudy. To be be fair to these girls and their families, the greatest riff raff I have personally ever encountered in my entire life came from a very prominent family. Quite wealthy. Money has little to do with class. Especially these days.

About the brother. I didn't hear about it so I am going by what you are saying here. To me, if it helps the brother to express his outrage - to tell the world what his uncle did to him and how his mother allowed it? By all means, do it.

It is a form of therapy and we should love him through it. Personally, I would not humiliate my own mother by name publicly to such a charge but if he feels he must do it so be it. Whatever helps him heal. We don't know that this isn't something he has kept bottled up inside of him for years never having the opportunity to express himself.

Obviously this is a very unusual moment in which the world is listening so if it helps him to tell us about it - then let's applaud his bravery and validate his own suffering.

It could be that the attention his sister is receiving worldwide for the sexual abuse she suffered is what triggered his own need to state the truth about the sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of his uncle. It sounds like he feels a need to be validated as a human being too. I say give it to him. My heart goes out to the young man. I'll keep him in my prayers. Poor guy. - Jeri
True. And regarding the animal that did this, Ariel Castro, who's background doesn't look any better than his victims, I think his family is doing a good job of acting "all surprised" that after years of observing strange behavior and not going on trips and living a very insular life, he turned out to be a "monster".

I don't think life in prison is fair for the horrific crimes he committed. Even death is too easy for him.

I just read that Knight refuses to see her mother and grandmother...but did agree to see her brother.
Something went down in that family for them to just shrug her disappearance off after her kid was taken away. Maybe the brother knows the truth and that is why she saw him.
If her mom and gmom are as much monsters as Castro..then good for her to refuse to see them ever again.

I wouldn't keep an unhealthy relationship for the sake of "family" either. Sometimes the healthy thing to do is walk away. Some feel this isn't the christian thing to do. I disagree. Forgiveness is free, trust is earned.

The child molestor may be forgiven but you don't allow him back on the playground. Common sense must prevail here. No matter what repentance is demonstated - the focus should be on the victim.

I just read that Knight refuses to see her mother and grandmother...but did agree to see her brother.
Something went down in that family for them to just shrug her disappearance off after her kid was taken away. Maybe the brother knows the truth and that is why she saw him.
If her mom and gmom are as much monsters as Castro..then good for her to refuse to see them ever again.
Well that's what I meant. Although Castro was pure evil, he was also smart enough to case out his victims, make sure they come from low income families that aren't powerful or wealthy, that would make a big fuss over the disappearance. That's why he was able to get away with it all these years.

True. And regarding the animal that did this, Ariel Castro, who's background doesn't look any better than his victims, I think his family is doing a good job of acting "all surprised" that after years of observing strange behavior and not going on trips and living a very insular life, he turned out to be a "monster".

I don't think life in prison is fair for the horrific crimes he committed. Even death is too easy for him.

I agree. I hope they give him the death penalty.

I agree. I hope they give him the death penalty.
If you ask me the death penalty is the easy way out for him. They put them to sleep and then they inject him with the poison. People who haven't done anything wrong sometimes suffer more before they die, ie people with cancer or accident victims, etc. The hospitals and ICU centers are filled with them.

I would like for this animal at least suffer a little before he is put to death. It's not politically correct to say that, but that is the just punishment for 10 years of suffering and torture he caused on these poor girls.

Well that's what I meant. Although Castro was pure evil, he was also smart enough to case out his victims, make sure they come from low income families that aren't powerful or wealthy, that would make a big fuss over the disappearance. That's why he was able to get away with it all these years.

You are very observant, Roudy. You are probably right.

Have you guys noticed regarding the 3 kidnapped and raped girls in Ohio...most of families seem to be low-class rif raf types. One of the girl's brothers (I believe her last name was Knight) came on CNN and said his mother was a bitch and allowed his uncle to rape and abuse him etc. And then Ashley Banfeild switched the subject saying "so this poor girl went from bad to much worse..."

Reason I bring it up is it seemed like the perpetrator Ariel Castro was pure evil, probably cased the girls he was going to kidnap, based on the type of background and families.

Predators target victims who are vulnerable. Bundy targeted prostitutes, Gacy targeted run away boys.

I wouldn't really categorize Amanda Berry and Gina deJesus' families as 'low class rif raf'--they are working class people, immigrants if not first generation --second or third. I would say a good percentage of people in Cleveland would fit that description--rust belt/industrial city for years--with of course, some very affluent communities, too.

The other gir, ? Knight, is developmentally challenged and it sounds like her family is pretty dysfunctional. Now living in Naples, FL--I don't think that is an impoverished area--any of it. 'Land of millionaires' --that is all that I ever hear about Naples.

Her brother seemed 'odd'--could have issues of his own. Seemed to blame his sister because she didn't do anything when his mother and/or father abused him/them. a tangled, troubling story---she got pregnant in high school--DCS removed the child, not certain why---she was angry and left home.

She seems to have some major milestones to overcome.

I don't know if this is true--but when Jaci Duggard was found it seemed that some philanthropic organization that works with extremely abused women/children provided financial and psychological assistance. Domestic Violence chairpeople from the Cleveland area have been interviewed and I assume that some similar organization can provide assistance.

I assume that Castro was more impulsive--and when the urge struck snatched the most readily available girl/woman. One of his daughters went to school with Gina and iirc, he attended their church. Amanda, from what has been said, was just walking home from her job at Burger King. He told her his son worked at Burger King.

It sounds to me like the residents of this neighborhood were basically trusting and well-intentioned. They are probably much less so now.

at any socio or economic level this sort of deviant behavior is possible.

a few years ago a doctor in Germany was arrested for keeping his daughter imprisoned in the basement and forcing her to have multiple pregnancies. He and his wife lived upstairs and went to work led their lives, might have had other children and downstairs he converted into a windowless dungeon. He was discovered when one of the children who had survived became ill and he weakened and sought some sort of medical treatment.

http://jezebel.com/384641/austrian-man-locked-his-daughter-in-the-basement-for-24-years

~~~

and we have Joran Van der Sloot---let us never forget about him.

Last edited:
No, I don't think its just you. I'm sure there are plenty of other ignorant bigots who somehow think one's income causes you to be kidnapped, beaten and raped over a period of 10 years.

I wouldn't really categorize Amanda Berry and Gina deJesus' families as 'low class rif raf'--they are working class people, immigrants if not first generation --second or third. I would say a good percentage of people in Cleveland would fit that description--rust belt/industrial city for years--with of course, some very affluent communities, too.

The other gir, ? Knight, is developmentally challenged and it sounds like her family is pretty dysfunctional. Now living in Naples, FL--I don't think that is an impoverished area--any of it. 'Land of millionaires' --that is all that I ever hear about Naples.

Her brother seemed 'odd'--could have issues of his own. Seemed to blame his sister because she didn't do anything when his mother and/or father abused him/them. a tangled, troubling story---she got pregnant in high school--DCS removed the child, not certain why---she was angry and left home.

She seems to have some major milestones to overcome.

I don't know if this is true--but when Jaci Duggard was found it seemed that some philanthropic organization that works with extremely abused women/children provided financial and psychological assistance. Domestic Violence chairpeople from the Cleveland area have been interviewed and I assume that some similar organization can provide assistance.

I assume that Castro was more impulsive--and when the urge struck snatched the most readily available girl/woman. One of his daughters went to school with Gina and iirc, he attended their church. Amanda, from what has been said, was just walking home from her job at Burger King. He told her his son worked at Burger King.

It sounds to me like the residents of this neighborhood were basically trusting and well-intentioned. They are probably much less so now.
All of that is true. But I still don't think he merely acted upon sudden urges. Remember, one of the girls used to hang around his own daughter. This guy knew who's child he was kidnapping.

No, I don't think its just you. I'm sure there are plenty of other ignorant bigots who somehow think one's income causes you to be kidnapped, beaten and raped over a period of 10 years.
Shmuck has reading comprehension problems.

Then again, he could be making the whole thing up to get his 15 minutes of fame. Never know.

A very good point. I don't think there is any reason to denigrate the victims or their families, no point in that at all. My impression of how he chose his victims is that they are the same economic level as himself, possibly from the same neighborhood. It seems one of the victims was a friend of Castro's daughter. Another was the daughter of a friend of his. They were women/girls who were easy targets, available in the sense of being members of his own milieu. I read he got a hold of them because each accepted a ride from him. It isn't likely a woman from a very different lifestyle would accept a ride from him. Maybe they knew of him in general because they had seen him around their own neighborhood, or he was known to them through his connections to their family members. It's kind of like everyone in the same village knowing each other to some level or another. To say they are all riff raff or something, really, that's out of line.

Last edited:
If it is true it took alot of courage for him to speak up. If the uncle is alive they should investigate him as he has probably not stopped his predatory behavior. There could be other victims out there.

He was a member of the community--however loosely structured the community is.

Just wait--as soon as a journalist has the definitive answer as to how he chose his victims we will know all there is to know. Shrewd, maybe --not so smart. He lived there his entire life from what I gather. shrug--Common law wife and several children with her, domestic violence charges and an existence that was not exceptional to others.

It is difficult for me to grasp how his domestic violence case was dismissed. Around here--'failure to show up in court' would result in a bench warrant being issued for your arrest no matter who you are. They just say--it was dismissed because once he didn't show up and on other occasions his attorney or the other attorney didn't show up and so they dismissed the case. He broke his wife's nose, ribs and pushed her down the steps causing head injuries and that was one incident. That seems fairly serious to me.

If they had bothered to issue a bench warrant, knock on his door, etc--in 2005, iirc, then they would have possibly/probably solved this case sooner. So, I contend that LE and/or judicial system of county/state should be held accountable in some way.

~~~
Her brother sounds bizarre. I heard him say myself--'I never want to see my sister again'.

Personally, if the brother had issues from abuse he should have been working on them with a therapist. By airing this on national/international news he led me to conclude that at the least he is an egocentric person, rather cold and immature. From that one clip I assumed he was a teenager? Probably in his 20's or 30's. But--oh well--families have problems including my own. Should the need arise I would hope members of my family were as well-spoken and composed as members of these families. Somehow the children of Ariel Castro seemed to rise above whatever they might have endured--neither his son or his daughter had particularly negative things to say about him. His daughter did say she didn't care to have any further contact with him. His mother seems to be absolutely devastated and filled with remorse for what her son did.

And you say he was the member of the family that she agreed to see.

Just put her in a witness protection program and let her start her life over?

Last edited:
I don't think the level of income had anything to do with it. I think he targeted those he considered "weak".

Because in all honesty...I can't wrap my mind around 3 women held for 11 years and not once ganging up on this asshole and shoving a pencil thru his eyeball...or biting off his dick so he bled to death. Or yelled at the top of their lungs so neighbors could hear. Or when allowed out those two times, they stayed silent. Or didn't speak when cops came to the door to ask hm questions a few years ago.
Were they tied spread eagled for 11 years? Were they never on their feet or had the use of their hands? One was a midwife for the birth of the baby...there was nothing that could be used as a weapon to kill this bastard or maim him so bad they could get loose and run? He was THAT careful for 11 solid years to never give them some kind of opening to kill his ass?

I don't understand it. Then again...not everyone is the same. Some can take it and stay fearful forever...and some will die fighting tooth and nail. I am of the latter.

Forum List

Back