is sub zero safe to use in car ac?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
have a subbie and the ac sucks....i ask mechanic to put it in..he bsed me with it needing stuff he doesnt have......i dont know why

Drunk post.

OIP.EboXj1NNweOV_tIwIgvdewHaHa

have a subbie and the ac sucks....i ask mechanic to put it in..he bsed me with it needing stuff he doesnt have......i dont know why

Not a mechanic but I have heard that it sucks at stopping leaks so whatever problem causing you to need it will just cause you to need it again and again and again until you find something that does a better job.

i dont think the system has a leak....seems just weak ac output....plus its suv type and needs to cool a lot of space...

i have achieved step one...finding the valve to put it in.....

all the shops that do ac around here are total rip offs..

Years ago, the coldest ACs used a substance called R22. The nut jobs of the EPA banned it because of its pretend effect on “the ozone layer.” So perhaps you have an older AC unit that requires the use of R22 to operate properly, and your mechanic was trying to tell you that your older unit is obsolete? I'm just trying to decipher your post and this was the best answer I could come up with.

What year is the car? If it’s post 1996 or so it uses R134A refrigerant. This is readily available at an auto parts store or even Walmart for about $40 with the gauge and hose.

It’s an easy fix. Locate the low pressure AC connector, take off the cap, attach the hose and read the instructions on the can.

I know just enough about refrigeration systems to take mine to a pro if I think I have a leak.
Generally speaking, if you have to add refrigerant, you have a leak.
Adding the wrong refrigerant to a system will damage the compressor.
Pros are required to be licensed and reclaim refrigerant, and the cost for this is passed on to consumers. It isn't cheap.That's not a 'rip', it's how business works.
The subzero stuff you mentioned is a stop leak product. It may get you ac for awhile, but you will have to keep adding it until your compressor finally fails and has to be replaced. A leaking system doesn't fix itself, stop leak products don't work. These are sad facts of life.
Good luck

Years ago, the coldest ACs used a substance called R22. The nut jobs of the EPA banned it because of its pretend effect on “the ozone layer.” So perhaps you have an older AC unit that requires the use of R22 to operate properly, and your mechanic was trying to tell you that your older unit is obsolete? I'm just trying to decipher your post and this was the best answer I could come up with.
You deserve much credit for trying to decipher her post. I couldn’t get anything from it. Lol.

The proper way to re-charge your R134 system is to pump it down (evacuate) with a vacuum pump before adding refrigerant and oil. If your system isn't blowing cold air, add what you have. Just follow the directions. Driving with a depleted system can cause more problems $$$. Go to an auto A/C shop, especially if it doesn't blow cold after adding. Good luck.

so no advice on using sub zero on your a/c

just personal attacks...how nice...
Are you wanting it as a sealant because you have an A/C leak, or as refrigerant?

If refrigerant, just buy R134a cans at Walmart. A lot cheaper.

If you are looking for a sealant buy a specific sealant, also sold at Walmart. Buying them together is like buying shampoo and conditioner in one. Neither does as good a job as using separate.

Obviously, put the sealant in first, run the a/c to distribute, then top it off with refrigerant.

EDIT: if you need the sealant but don't have a gauge, you can put in the sealant then buy a refrigerant with a gauge built-in. It's a little more expensive.

Last edited:
Old Man Yells At Cloud Yelling GIF - Old Man Yells At Cloud Yelling Old Man GIFs

i dont think the system has a leak....seems just weak ac output....plus its suv type and needs to cool a lot of space...

i have achieved step one...finding the valve to put it in.....

all the shops that do ac around here are total rip offs..
Make sure you have the correct inlet valve.

There is a high pressure valve and a low pressure valve. You need the low pressure valve. I think the valves are different sizes on newer models but you'll have to verify.

Forum List

Back