Is the Croissant Really French?

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
One bite of a croissant just pulled from the oven at Michel Lyczak’s bakery in the southern Parisian suburb of Malakoff is bliss: a satisfying crunch and scattering of crumbs, the indulgent mouthfeel of butter wrapped in the overwhelming sensation of lightness. Few foods are as culturally iconic as this flaky breakfast food, so quintessentially French that many English speakers defer to its native pronunciation (krwa-sohn).

Yet as recently as the 19th century, the French viewed the croissant as a foreign novelty, sold only in special Viennese bakeries in the pricier parts of Paris. And how it came to France in the first place remains obscured by layer upon layer of legend.

I like croissants. I used to eat them a lot many years ago. The bagel is the one breakfast bread I do not like at all. It's too hard and very miserable eat.

I'm not sure if the croissant is French or not, but it's so buttery delicious.

I like croissants. I used to eat them a lot many years ago. The bagel is the one breakfast bread I do not like at all. It's too hard and very miserable eat.

I'm not sure if the croissant is French or not, but it's so buttery delicious.

I think the French invented puff pastry.

There’s a very nice French cafe/bistro up on Pennsylvania Ave. Near the Capitol.

The bagel is the one breakfast bread I do not like at all. It's too hard and very miserable eat.
Blasphemy!

The Bagel is my go to breakfast bread. I usually have it as a sausage sandwich with mustard and onions.

The Croissant on the other hand is like biting into an crumbly buttery pocket of air devoid of any real substance.

Most years we rent a house in Cape San Blas FL for a week. There is a small bakery that sells glazed croissants. All the decadent delight of a croissant, with a doughnut glaze.

Pure delicious bliss!

Croissants are actually Austrian not French at all.

They were invented by Vienna's baking community to celebrate on 12 September 1683 after the tremendous Polish King Sobieski relieved the radical muslim siege on the city. The croissant's crescent shape signified the crescent symbol of the Turkish forces.

Honestly, not a huge fan.
It is mostly air.
And I have never been a fan of creme filled breads... never liked cream filled doughnuts either.

Croissants are actually Austrian not French at all.

They were invented by Vienna's baking community to celebrate on 12 September 1683 after the tremendous Polish King Sobieski relieved the radical muslim siege on the city. The croissant's crescent shape signified the crescent symbol of the Turkish forces.

i think so, too

One bite of a croissant just pulled from the oven at Michel Lyczak’s bakery in the southern Parisian suburb of Malakoff is bliss: a satisfying crunch and scattering of crumbs, the indulgent mouthfeel of butter wrapped in the overwhelming sensation of lightness. Few foods are as culturally iconic as this flaky breakfast food, so quintessentially French that many English speakers defer to its native pronunciation (krwa-sohn).

Yet as recently as the 19th century, the French viewed the croissant as a foreign novelty, sold only in special Viennese bakeries in the pricier parts of Paris. And how it came to France in the first place remains obscured by layer upon layer of legend.

Does it matter?

Sometimes countries take something in and make it their own.

The best example is paocai or kimchi. The first is Chinese, the second is Korean. Same thing. And yet they've managed to have a spat over it, hating each other for having the same food as a national food. It's ridiculous. You can both have it.

Forum List

Back