Is the U.S. Economy in recession, but Inflation skews the GDP numbers (Poll)

Is the inflated US economy in recession, or not?

• The US is not in recession, the GDP is not inflated, the Deficit is manageable

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • The US is in recession due to inflation, the GDP is inflated, the Deficit needs to be reduced

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
The AL part of PA
Inflation causes prices of everything to rise, so it looks like the economy is growing nicely.

The problem is that high inflation is "inflating" all of the numbers.

A “Grumpy Economist” Weighs in on Inflation’s Causes — And Its Cures​

What drove up prices? What can the Fed do (or not)? And how could the next president affect inflation?

"From 2010 to 2019, the government bought $4 trillion of bonds and issued $4 trillion of new money in return. Those transactions had zero effect on inflation, which just trundled along a bit below 2%. Then from 2021 to 2023, the government borrowed $5 trillion, and sent people checks. This time, the Fed bought about $3 trillion of the new debt and issued new cash to banks. In this second scenario, we got huge inflation. I think the lesson is pretty clear — it’s the big deficit that caused the inflation, not primarily whether the Fed buys Treasury debt and gives bank reserves in return."

Both Trump and Kamala will add to the Debt. Powell said that the current fiscal path is "unsustainable". U.S. Debt keeps getting downgraded.

Is the "inflated" U.S. economy of $30T of GDP headed for disaster?

If Trump wins and Elon Musk can cut Federal spending will that save the U.S. economy?

The definition of a recession was changed. It used to be two quarters of negative growth but when that happened the dems directed their media lackeys to say it was not so and the dumb shit public fell for it.

I guess when it all comes crumbling down you will know.

Inflation causes prices of everything to rise, so it looks like the economy is growing nicely.

What drove up prices? What can the Fed do (or not)? And how could the next president affect inflation?

"From 2010 to 2019, the government bought $4 trillion of bonds and issued $4 trillion of new money in return. Those transactions had zero effect on inflation, which just trundled along a bit below 2%. Then from 2021 to 2023, the government borrowed $5 trillion, and sent people checks. This time, the Fed bought about $3 trillion of the new debt and issued new cash to banks. In this second scenario, we got huge inflation. I think the lesson is pretty clear — it’s the big deficit that caused the inflation, not primarily whether the Fed buys Treasury debt and gives bank reserves in return."

Both Trump and Kamala will add to the Debt. Powell said that the current fiscal path is "unsustainable". U.S. Debt keeps getting downgraded.

If Trump wins and Elon Musk can cut Federal spending will that save the U.S. economy?

cant vote as none of the choices are correct.

The US is not in recession,

the GDP is not inflated,

the Deficit is not manageable

You do not think that the fucked up supply lines and people having all that money the Govt sent them but fewer goods to spend it on might have impacted inflation?

You do not think that the fucked up supply lines and people having all that money the Govt sent them but fewer goods to spend it on might have impacted inflation?
I didn't have any trouble finding guns to spend it on. ;)

I remember specifically I got a Marlin in .45-70 with one of the checks.

Like this one.

500374.jpg

Yes. Trump will save the Country.

The definition of a recession was changed. It used to be two quarters of negative growth but when that happened the dems directed their media lackeys to say it was not so and the dumb shit public fell for it.

I guess when it all comes crumbling down you will know.
Got it, but you forgot to tell the "New Definition"

Been saying that for years ... The GDP numbers are based on inflated unit counts....unless you boil everything down to man hours spent you will not have an accurate picture of what the dollar's spending power actually is.

The US is not in recession,

the GDP is not inflated,

the Deficit is not manageable

I do not think the US is in recession. Yet.

I do think the GDP is indeed inflated, thanks to the ridiculous amount of gov't spending that does not translate into increases in production. Hence, inflation.

The Deficit is not manageable and there does not appear to be the political will to address that by either party. Some people believe it doesn't matter cuz the gov't can print or create new money and that might be true in the short run but I think eventually you end up with too much money chasing too few goods and services and inflation becomes a really big problem.

I do not think the US is in recession. Yet.

I do think the GDP is indeed inflated, thanks to the ridiculous amount of gov't spending that does not translate into increases in production. Hence, inflation.

The Deficit is not manageable and there does not appear to be the political will to address that by either party. Some people believe it doesn't matter cuz the gov't can print or create new money and that might be true in the short run but I think eventually you end up with too much money chasing too few goods and services and inflation becomes a really big problem.
Your observation about party politics in regard to the deficit is one of the main reasons that party politics should be discontinued.

No, the economy is flourishing, the labor market robust, eight million jobs available, 4.1 UE.

The first time job claims was up.

Forum List

Back