Is there any basis to believe that sanctions will stop Putin?

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
And how can Biden still be opposed to direct transfer to Ukraine of any Russian built weapons in Nato's control - even through US bases - and the US immediately back filling Nato members' military through US stockpiles and production?

IF we want to end this slaughter of civilians, we need to end it, or stop saying we want to end it. jmo

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz
What you are advocating for is direct US involvement in the war, and an escalation to WW3.

My guess is that sanctions and military strategy are just two separate things.

We have to impose the sanctions, and hopefully they'll last for a long time after this is over. But Putin himself is insulated from the damage they cause and he must think he's safe otherwise, so in that way the sanctions are irrelevant.

He has to be defeated psychologically. He has to understand that he has lost and that he has to find a way out. Otherwise it looks like he'll just keep going.

What you are advocating for is direct US involvement in the war, and an escalation to WW3.
No just assisting Nato members to transfer russian made conventional arms. I don't see this as ending without Ukranians defeating Russia with conventional arms ... including artillery and aircraft. Putin is simply not going to quit so long as he can bomb, shell them indiscriminately.

Having US/Nato forces directly engaged would be WWIII. But I don't see that Putin would gain anything from a nuclear exchange unless there was a direct challenge to his rule in russia. OF course, he could be insane, but if he is, and given that the Russians are raping and killing without anyone stopping them ... confrontation is inevitable.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: xyz
My guess is that sanctions and military strategy are just two separate things.

We have to impose the sanctions, and hopefully they'll last for a long time after this is over. But Putin himself is insulated from the damage they cause and he must think he's safe otherwise, so in that way the sanctions are irrelevant.

He has to be defeated psychologically. He has to understand that he has lost and that he has to find a way out. Otherwise it looks like he'll just keep going.
Yes. Putin may be insane. He is a sociopath and probably a psychopath, but until now there's not been evidence that he didn't appreciate reality. Belarus and perhaps a maj of Hungarians would choose a totalitarian govt. But the rest of Russia's former vassal states have opted for direct war with Russia, if those are the two choices.

I don't think sanctions will change hearts and minds even over time, unless we're talking generational change. Younger people seeing their parents' choices have left them lives of poverty.

The only answer is to gear up and take out Russia and Pootin.
Well, if we directly aimed at taking him out, he'd launch his nuclear arsenal. IMO.

That's why Biden is very dangerous. The only way to prevent his attacking former Russian vassal states is to guarantee his army will be ... killed. His more-better option would be to keep his army inside its borders. He would still use terror and any other means to disrupt other countries.

Well, if we directly aimed at taking him out, he'd launch his nuclear arsenal. IMO.

That's why Biden is very dangerous. The only way to prevent his attacking former Russian vassal states is to guarantee his army will be ... killed. His more-better option would be to keep his army inside its borders. He would still use terror and any other means to disrupt other countries.
We have our own counter-attack capability of nukes to take out Russia.

We have our own counter-attack capability of nukes to take out Russia.
And we could end human, and even reptile and mammal life. I've been told some insects could survive.

Putin just laughs at bozo Biden and the Nato nitwit's sanctions.
Russia is a huge country with an abundance of natural resources and will just become more self sufficient. While at the same time selling its oil and minerals to China, India, and several other countries.

Great question on whether sanctions can stop Putin. (Russia)

That's the key to determining the outcome of this war.

So far at least Russia is standing resolute and strong, but will they endure?

The Russian military will decide for or against nuclear war and the civilian population won't have a voice in the decision.
That's the way it will be decided in the US too, or any other nuclear armed country.

Russia will decide, not Putin!
Biden won't decide for America, the pentagon will.

The dollar exchange rate against the ruble in 2022

2022-04-0717.1649341218.jpg

Forum List

Back