Israel elected to head permanent U.N. committee for first time

fanger

Gold Member
May 21, 2014
Israel on Monday won an election to chair the United Nations' legal committee, the first time that it will head one of the world body's six permanent committees since joining the U.N. in 1949.

While it is a largely symbolic and procedural role, chairing the committee will give Israel a chance to have a higher profile in routine affairs at the United Nations.

The so-called Legal Committee, or Sixth Committee, oversees issues related to international law. The General Assembly has six standing committees that report to it, on: disarmament, economic and financial issues, human rights, decolonization, the U.N. budget, and legal issues.

"I am proud to be the first Israeli elected to this position," Israel U.N. Ambassador Danny Danon said in a statement.

"Israel is a world leader in international law and in fighting terrorism," he added. "We are pleased to have the opportunity to share our knowledge with the countries of the world."
Israel has a wide range of experience in these matters: having an illegal nuclear program, tons of American-provided conventional weapons, regularly committing human rights violation, and the creation of countless illegal racial colonies.

Maybe they can put an end to some off the horse shit some of the Arab Muslim are trying to pull

Israel on Monday won an election to chair the United Nations' legal committee, the first time that it will head one of the world body's six permanent committees since joining the U.N. in 1949.

While it is a largely symbolic and procedural role, chairing the committee will give Israel a chance to have a higher profile in routine affairs at the United Nations.

The so-called Legal Committee, or Sixth Committee, oversees issues related to international law. The General Assembly has six standing committees that report to it, on: disarmament, economic and financial issues, human rights, decolonization, the U.N. budget, and legal issues.

"I am proud to be the first Israeli elected to this position," Israel U.N. Ambassador Danny Danon said in a statement.

"Israel is a world leader in international law and in fighting terrorism," he added. "We are pleased to have the opportunity to share our knowledge with the countries of the world."
Israel has a wide range of experience in these matters: having an illegal nuclear program, tons of American-provided conventional weapons, regularly committing human rights violation, and the creation of countless illegal racial colonies.

Who says their nuclear programme is illegal, or are you just spreading LIES again. What hiuman rights violations have they been found guilty of, or is this more LIES. Where are these illegal racial colonies, or once again your LIES.

Beside this you should be happy that the only trustworthy nation from the M.E. has gained control of this UN department and will clean up properly. You muslims better watch out now as Israel is in charge, and they know how to talk to the likes of you.

Israel was originally part of the Asia-Pacific Group along with other Middle Eastern and Asian nations, the majority of which are cool or openly hostile toward the Israeli state. Its transfer to WEOG gave it a chance to get elected to leadership posts and play a more active role at the U.N.

Israel was originally part of the Asia-Pacific Group along with other Middle Eastern and Asian nations, the majority of which are cool or openly hostile toward the Israeli state. Its transfer to WEOG gave it a chance to get elected to leadership posts and play a more active role at the U.N.

The UN that Trump wants to do away with, guess Trump will change his tune now.

Israel you should be the leader since you do so much of it.

Another BDS success! They're racking it up!

Slow down fanger, I assume you are not very pleased with the news but there are some things you said that we need to clarify here;
1.'illegal nuclear program' - Israel never openly addressed nuclear plans in public although it is believed that Israel do possess nuclear capabilities but where is that considered illegal?

2.'tons of American provided conventional weapons' - what is that suppose to mean?

3.'regularly committing human rights violations' - human rights violations is a very harsh accusation, do Israel uses innocents as human shield? Perhaps we missed it.

4.'countless illegal racial colonies' - that is not illegal unless it's an intended concentration of people of the same race, not by their free will, I don't see why you claim this is illegal to establish a racial colony for people willing to live by their by their own free will.

1.'illegal nuclear program' - Israel never openly addressed nuclear plans in public although it is believed that Israel do possess nuclear capabilities but where is that considered illegal?
Right, not illegal since they they signed nothing.

2.'tons of American provided conventional weapons' - what is that suppose to mean?
Right, not illegal. Suspect, although.

3.'regularly committing human rights violations' - human rights violations is a very harsh accusation, do Israel uses innocents as human shield? Perhaps we missed it.
The are bombing human shields without "urgent need". Definitely illegal.

4.'countless illegal racial colonies' - that is not illegal unless it's an intended concentration of people of the same race, not by their free will, I don't see why you claim this is illegal to establish a racial colony for people willing to live by their by their own free will.
Not illegal according to the Israeli government that considers the settled areas "unpossessed". Illegal in terms of international law.

The truth about Israel's secret nuclear arsenal
Israeli Nuclear Arsenal Prohibits US Foreign Aid Under Symington Amendment
The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) are heavily lobbying Congress for $2.775 billion in military aid to Israel. However credible reports from the US Army and a former president confirm the existence of an Israeli nuclear weapons arsenal. This could prohibit US taxpayer funded fiscal year 2010 foreign aid.

The declassified US Army report titled "The Joint Operating Environment 2008" identifies Israel as a nuclear weapons power. Specifically the US Army highlights "a growing arc of nuclear powers running from Israel in the west through an emerging Iran to Pakistan, India, and on to China, North Korea, and Russia in the east." Jimmy Carter became the first former President to confirm in 2008 that Israel has secretly financed, developed and deployed an undeclared arsenal of nuclear weapons.

The Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 as amended by the Symington Amendment of 1976 and the Glenn Amendment of 1977 prohibit US military assistance to countries that acquire or transfer nuclear reprocessing technology outside of international nonproliferation regimes. Israel, unlike Iran, is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. If Congress wishes to provide US taxpayer funded foreign aid to Israel in compliance with US law, it may do so only under a special waiver from the office of the President as in the case for Pakistan.

Upholding the Symington Amendment could be an early litmus test as Congress and Executive branch strive to restore public confidence in the aftermath of the US invasion of Iraq and global financial crisis. According to IRmep director of research Grant F. Smith, "Governance depends on rule of law-- it is imperiled if government openly flouts important laws. It is no longer acceptable for Congress or the President to invoke 'strategic ambiguity,' a practice whereby US government officials publicly pretend to the American people that Israel possesses no nuclear weapons."

The American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) and Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) are heavily lobbying Congress for $2.775 billion in military aid to Israel. However credible reports from the US Army and a former president confirm the existence of an Israeli nuclear weapons arsenal. This could prohibit US taxpayer funded fiscal year 2010 foreign aid.

The declassified US Army report titled "The Joint Operating Environment 2008" identifies Israel as a nuclear weapons power. Specifically the US Army highlights "a growing arc of nuclear powers running from Israel in the west through an emerging Iran to Pakistan, India, and on to China, North Korea, and Russia in the east." Jimmy Carter became the first former President to confirm in 2008 that Israel has secretly financed, developed and deployed an undeclared arsenal of nuclear weapons.

The Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 as amended by the Symington Amendment of 1976 and the Glenn Amendment of 1977 prohibit US military assistance to countries that acquire or transfer nuclear reprocessing technology outside of international nonproliferation regimes. Israel, unlike Iran, is not a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. If Congress wishes to provide US taxpayer funded foreign aid to Israel in compliance with US law, it may do so only under a special waiver from the office of the President as in the case for Pakistan.

Upholding the Symington Amendment could be an early litmus test as Congress and Executive branch strive to restore public confidence in the aftermath of the US invasion of Iraq and global financial crisis. According to IRmep director of research Grant F. Smith, "Governance depends on rule of law-- it is imperiled if government openly flouts important laws. It is no longer acceptable for Congress or the President to invoke 'strategic ambiguity,' a practice whereby US government officials publicly pretend to the American people that Israel possesses no nuclear weapons."

The above is a vintage 2009 article.

Not illegal according to the Israeli government that considers the settled areas "unpossessed". Illegal in terms of international law.
3. That is not a fair judgement (if you are talking about the past clashes with Gaza militants) - and it is not even the whole story but a general statement that buries the actual truth..I'm surprised you turning a blind eye to the source of these human rights violations in the first place thou, accusing Israel which is not the source of these violations is similar to yelling at a tree for a parking ticket.

4.Not illegal according to any international law either, I'd agree it's merely a gray zone, but I still fail to see why this law discriminates Jews while Palestinians can do whatever they want, did anyone ever brought that up?

3. That is not a fair judgement (if you are talking about the past clashes with Gaza militants) - and it is not even the whole story but a general statement that buries the actual truth..I'm surprised you turning a blind eye to the source of these human rights violations in the first place thou, accusing Israel which is not the source of these violations is similar to yelling at a tree for a parking ticket.
I don´t turn a blind eye on this but I am of the opinion that the reactions are immoderate and do not deter terrorists from committing human rights violations.

4.Not illegal according to any international law either, I'd agree it's merely a gray zone, but I still fail to see why this law discriminates Jews while Palestinians can do whatever they want, did anyone ever brought that up?
The Israelis and the new settlers, many from Russia, are living under the umbrella of the Israeli government that claims to be responsible and moderate. A responsible and moderate government, however, does not act like a terrorist group like Hamas. Therefor, the argument "the Palestinians do it so we may do it as well", isn´t valid. What is the point of those extremist armed settlers? Ok, they make up a buffer zone for ordinary Israelis, but they are further pressing down Israel´s reputation. A final settlement has to be reached so that this conflict can finally end.

Any chance you can make this bullshit bigger and bolder?

I was thinking the same Roudy.

The bigger you make the print, I guess the more valid the claim ;--)

Fact is that Israel has every right to defend itself. Any other nation would have thrown the bums out by now.

I say use the geneva conventions to advantage and vet all the Arab Muslims for refugee, citizen or combatant status in Israel. Descendants of combatants do NOT ( <--- notice the larger print ;--) qualify as refugees nor does anyone who has aided or is suspected of aiding in acts hostile to the controlling power. The Geneva Conventions are quite clear on this issue. The Host nation is NOT ( oh that larger print again ) required to offer shelter or aid to enemy combatants legal or illegal and may repatriate any hostiles at its discretion with or without agreements between the belligerents.

I say throw the bums out and be done with this shit show ;--) Round em up and out they go ;--)

Well you know what they say about the text, it's just like cars, the bigger the car the smaller this guy's .....

It wouldn't be a leap of faith to assume that the BDS supporting antisemites are eating their soiled underwear over how Israel came to be a permanent member on this UN committee. It literally destroyed or should I say BLEW UP years of their efforts and demonization with one fell swoop!

:blowup: :lmao:

Well you know what they say about the text, it's just like cars, the bigger the car the smaller this guy's .....

It wouldn't be a leap of faith to assume that the BDS supporting antisemites are eating their soiled underwear over how Israel came to be a permanent member on this UN committee. It literally destroyed or should I say BLEW UP years of their efforts and demonization with one fell swoop!

:blowup: :lmao:

Hopefully

I'm curious who else is on the committee.

I think I'll go look that one up. Thing is international law is open to interpretation, but to interpretation by who ? The supreme court of the country where the law is or the world court who has absolutely zero clout in national law ?

UN resolutions are even more ambiguous

My take is about the best we can expect is a few less ludicrous decisions coming out of the UN, but not a halt to all the nonsense going on in that seriously outdated mess.

The UN that Trump wants to do away with, guess Trump will change his tune now.

Israel you should be the leader since you do so much of it.
Hi Penny,this is SHOCKING and BANAL.......the Israelis must have Lobbied Hard and with Hard Cash..the last time they did this was in 1948...The World has gone Mad...steve

Slow down fanger, I assume you are not very pleased with the news but there are some things you said that we need to clarify here;

NC Weapons and Facilities Israel have Daniyal....as you full well know,They have Never allowed Inspectors into the facility and no doubt never will....and of course the USA has turned a blind eye since the 60's. steve

What a Fool and foolish statement,no wonder no one trust Israel as far as they can spit them,....will be interesting to see how Israel fairs

AND $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Forum List

Back