Ithaca Mayor Wants To Let Heroin Users Shoot Up Under Nurse Supervision

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
This is a sensible policy. We've spent trillions on the War on Drugs for the last 40 years with no measurable result to speak of other than millions of lives ruined or lost and having our civil liberties eroded. People aren't going to stop using drugs, even nasty shit like heroin, so give them a safe place to do it and provide treatment services available to maybe help them stop.

Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick said the facility, which would also connect addicts to recovery services, is one piece of a new approach he wants his city to take against the scourge of addiction.

“This part of the plan is about keeping people alive, helping them get treatment, helping them get better, but in the meantime making sure that they live long enough to get that treatment,” Svante told 1010 WINS. “Once you die from an overdose there’s no opportunity to get better, no opportunity to get treatment.”

I remember watching a documentary years ago (can't remember which city it was in) about a facility where they did the same thing. Sounds reasonable to me.

We should put Los Zetas in charge of our drug policy.

There would be no Zetas if it weren't for our drug policy.

Bullshit. Throughout human history 1 of 3 groups have been in charge of all humans. Government, Religion or Gangs. Whichever is more powerful will be in charge.

The Zetas exist because cartels are more powerful than the weak, excessively corrupt Mexican government.

If we legalized all drugs....they'd invent new ones. Or sell something else...like weapons or sex slaves like they do in the Middle East.

Thanks for blaming America DTMB. You're becoming a Democrat slowly but surely.

Who's going to pay for their "medicine"?

I say put them in a 24/7 high. Keep them in bed enjoying their life of bliss and off the streets. Never to see the sun again.

This is the stupidest shit I've ever heard of. I bet the idiots that support this are the same clowns that support gun control.

They should grow poppies and let the user run naked through the fields so they can scrape the pollen off his /her body to process the heroin for use by the user....

Sure it would. The only difference would be, the cartels would be dodging tax laws rather than drug laws.

Do you think the illegal liquor trade disappeared with the end of prohibition? Why, hell no.

Hell, the illegal cigarette trade is as big as the drug trade. And, cigarettes have never been banned, only taxed.

This is a sensible policy. We've spent trillions on the War on Drugs for the last 40 years with no measurable result to speak of other than millions of lives ruined or lost and having our civil liberties eroded. People aren't going to stop using drugs, even nasty shit like heroin, so give them a safe place to do it and provide treatment services available to maybe help them stop.

Ithaca Mayor Svante Myrick said the facility, which would also connect addicts to recovery services, is one piece of a new approach he wants his city to take against the scourge of addiction.

“This part of the plan is about keeping people alive, helping them get treatment, helping them get better, but in the meantime making sure that they live long enough to get that treatment,” Svante told 1010 WINS. “Once you die from an overdose there’s no opportunity to get better, no opportunity to get treatment.”

Sure, let people shoot up. It's a free country. But they can pay for their own treatment. People want the freedom to do drugs? OK. Then they take sole responsibility for any adverse affects.

Sure, let people shoot up. It's a free country. But they can pay for their own treatment. People want the freedom to do drugs? OK. Then they take sole responsibility for any adverse affects.
make it likewise for tobacco and alcohol and you got my support....

I think the war on drugs is ridiculous. Nobody should be in prison for using drugs unless they commit a crime or hurt someone. Using the drugs should not by itself be a crime.
I'd like to decriminalize the use of drugs and give the heroin junkies as much heroin and free needles and they want. Some will seek treatment, some will die of overdoses.

It will be far more cost effective than incarceration.

It would reduce drug overdoses, and the spread of disease.

How would any Christian nation accept that?

This is the stupidest shit I've ever heard of. I bet the idiots that support this are the same clowns that support gun control.

You'd lose your bet. I don't support gun control. I think anyone should be able to buy a gun without restrictions.

[
Do you think the illegal liquor trade disappeared with the end of prohibition? Why, hell no..

Illegal liquor trade pretty much disappeared. Illegal liquor- with its expensive payoffs to judges and police, and all the other added costs of running a black market couldn't compete with legal liquor producers. Other than small time moonshiners, it pretty much disappeared.

Organized crime- which prohibition laws essentially financed took a big hit.

Prohibition had some other interesting unintended consequences- before Prohibition- Americans drank more beer and wine- but after Prohibition, Americans drank more hard liquor- because hard liquor was more profitable to produce and sell illegally.

And more Americans died of both alcohol poisoning during Prohibition- and died of poisoning by black market 'alcohol' diluted and polluted with all sorts of chemicals.

Anyone who is in favor of our current drug policy should really read about how bad the Prohibition really was- I recommend the Poisoners Handbook- which isn't even about the Prohibition but does go into the consequences in some fascinating and morbid detail.

Bullshit. Throughout human history 1 of 3 groups have been in charge of all humans. Government, Religion or Gangs. Whichever is more powerful will be in charge.

The Zetas exist because cartels are more powerful than the weak, excessively corrupt Mexican government.

If we legalized all drugs....they'd invent new ones. Or sell something else...like weapons or sex slaves like they do in the Middle East.

Thanks for blaming America DTMB. You're becoming a Democrat slowly but surely.

Zeta's might exist- as a small underfunded and inconsequential group- but like the Mafia- they only became powerful- and wealthy- because of the drug prohibition.

Forum List

Back