'It's loud. It's frightening.' Hawaii to test siren intended to warn of impending nuclear strike

LOL

Tourist Bruce Jelsema of Grand Rapids, Michigan, also didn’t know what to do.

“Not living in Hawaii, I’m not familiar with the different sounds of the test so I would probably be confused as to how to respond,” he said.

That's easy, nuclear strike on Oahu, you respond by sticking your head between your legs and kissing your ass goodbye, that siren isn't a warning it's a death knell.

Considering the assumed accuracy of the NK missiles, it has a better chance of falling far short than actually hitting Hawaii.
That's cool as long as it doesn't "fall far short" and hit Maui or the Big Island, I'd be really pissed if the dickheads in North Korea fucked up one of my favorite vacation spots.......

Still important to make sure people know when to find cover.
That depends on which people we're talking about, there are certain people that I'd prefer not find "cover".:p

What point is the liberal state of Hawaii trying to make with this nonsense? Why would they cut their own throats by scaring tourists when the chance of being nuked by N.K. is next to nil?

Leftist governments aren't generally very bright.

If that siren ever sounds, soon after North Korea will glow at night for the next 25,000 years and nothing alive will be found there. Well, maybe a lizard that has mutated four tails.

That is the reality and even Kim Jong Fatboy knows it. As do the Chinese.

I'm not so sure. Every country would be on the phone while the missiles are still in the air begging the US to not respond. China might even threaten that any missile heading towards NK would be treated as heading towards China.

If a nuclear response was going to happen, it would be hours after using bombers.

Or an Ohio would sneak up to the NK coast and fire at flat trajectory.

Be clear, the US has told China behind the scenes that if Kim Jong Trump's Son fires even one nuclear missile at an ally then North Korea will disappear soon after. It won't matter what anyone around the world says, that is what will happen no matter who is president or who isn't.

So do you agree with that or not?

There would probably be plenty, but unlike a large exchange, there would be somewhere to run to. As long as you clear the people out quick enough 'deaths from radiation poisoning should be controllable'.
Not sure Hawaii has a plan that extends beyond the 'Siren' yet....and 'deaths from radiation poisoning should be controllable' sounds so 'clinical' / 'clean'. It would be a nightmare...anything but clean as it sounds. (NOT an attack on you / your comment - just my opinionated observation).

If that siren ever sounds, soon after North Korea will glow at night for the next 25,000 years and nothing alive will be found there. Well, maybe a lizard that has mutated four tails.

I'm not so sure. Every country would be on the phone while the missiles are still in the air begging the US to not respond. China might even threaten that any missile heading towards NK would be treated as heading towards China.

If a nuclear response was going to happen, it would be hours after using bombers.

I disagree. I believe there would be groups of nuclear cruise missiles from the three carrier groups present heading toward NK targets within 15 minutes of a detected launch of a missile determined by trajectory to be headed toward ourselves or an ally. We are on a hair trigger these days, and you can be sure everything is already targeted.

China's position would have no influence upon our actions. They had their chance to remedy the situation.

Cruise missiles might be another option.

The big concern is limiting the size of the things so we don't fallout poison South Korea.

Yes, but chances are the northern third of SK will be a mess in any case. If Kim fires a nuke, he will unload his 30,000 missiles aimed at the DMZ and Seoul immediately thereafter.

I agree with the idea that no other nation has a say in what the US does in defense of its people or in 'retaliation'. In short, What China thinks - or anyone else - will not matter.

If NK fires a nuke at a US facility or target, the US will light it up like the sky on the 4th of July. NK has been warned. China has been warned. It has been made clear to our allies.

There would probably be plenty, but unlike a large exchange, there would be somewhere to run to. As long as you clear the people out quick enough 'deaths from radiation poisoning should be controllable'.
Not sure Hawaii has a plan that extends beyond the 'Siren' yet....and 'deaths from radiation poisoning should be controllable' sounds so 'clinical' / 'clean'. It would be a nightmare...anything but clean as it sounds. (NOT an attack on you / your comment - just my opinionated observation).

One has to be clinical about it BEFORE it happens, because everything will go to shit WHEN it happens, and you hope the initial clinical view of it at least partially carries over into the actual response.

I have done emergency planning for wastewater plants, including "run for the gate" if something is going to blow and "shelter in place" if some nut is running around with a gun.
It may sound bad, but in planning you can't get excited.....that automatically comes later.

The risk from fallout is worse in a full exchange because at that point you have nowhere else to go but into a shelter for months at a time while the low half-life/high radioactivity particles do their thing and decay. While a mass evacuation is difficult, it's easier than rapid-digging thousands of quickie shelters and hoping people don't starve.

I disagree. I believe there would be groups of nuclear cruise missiles from the three carrier groups present heading toward NK targets within 15 minutes of a detected launch of a missile determined by trajectory to be headed toward ourselves or an ally. We are on a hair trigger these days, and you can be sure everything is already targeted.

China's position would have no influence upon our actions. They had their chance to remedy the situation.

The big concern is limiting the size of the things so we don't fallout poison South Korea.

Yes, but chances are the northern third of SK will be a mess in any case. If Kim fires a nuke, he will unload his 30,000 missiles aimed at the DMZ and Seoul immediately thereafter.

I wouldn't doubt that at all.

Still i doubt we would blanket the North. First we would hit wherever their national redoubt is with digger nukes, then Pyongyang would probably be destroyed. After that it would be "wait and see if we got Kim"

Still i doubt we would blanket the North. First we would hit wherever their national redoubt is with digger nukes, then Pyongyang would probably be destroyed. After that it would be "wait and see if we got Kim"

Blanket? No, I don't think so either. Enough to cover known military sites and major infrastructure.

I heard recently that Pyongyong is largely empty, except for the show portions. Kim evacuated it last April. No confirmation on that.

Blanket? No, I don't think so either. Enough to cover known military sites and major infrastructure.

I heard recently that Pyongyong is largely empty, except for the show portions. Kim evacuated it last April. No confirmation on that.

It may not have been an evacuation, Pyongyang has been full of empty "show" buildings for years.

It may not have been an evacuation, Pyongyang has been full of empty "show" buildings for years.

True.

That would be a really great accomplishment since we no longer have nuclear cruise missiles in the Navy. They were retired from service years ago,

BTW, that 3rd carrier is in Hawaii and on their way home to Washington state. My nephew's wife is a chief on there.

That would be a really great accomplishment since we no longer have nuclear cruise missiles in the Navy. They were retired from service years ago,

So, what comic book are you reading?

Submarine based nukes are one third of our defensive nuclear triad.

BTW, that 3rd carrier is in Hawaii and on their way home to Washington state. My nephew's wife is a chief on there.

Source?

Source?

Sub based nukes are ballistic missiles, not cruise missiles.

Source?

Submarine based nukes are Trident SLBMs, not cruise missiles. All TLAM/Ns were retired.

US Navy Instruction Confirms Retirement of Nuclear Tomahawk Cruise Missile

The source on the carrier's location is my Facebook account showing her in a photo taken from the flight deck with the USS Missouri and Arizona Memorial in the background taken this week.

BTW, she is one of the first enlisted females selected for submarine duty. She reports to submarine school when she returns from deployment.

Source?

Sub based nukes are ballistic missiles, not cruise missiles.

D'OH! :laugh:

Time for Coffee #3.

Forum List

Back