It's Not Just Gays They Refuse To Serve

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
It's disabled veterans with guide dogs too!

HOUSTON -- A U.S. Army and Navy veteran says he was told he had to leave a west Houston restaurant because of his service dog.

Aryeh Ohayon says it happened Tuesday at the Thai Spice Buffet II restaurant in the 2500 block of South Voss Road.

Ohayon called Houston Police and waited inside the restaurant.

He claims the officer who responded made him feel even worse.

“I told him what my disabilities were. That’s when he said, you’re not blind,” recalled Ohayon. “[He said] I don’t see why you need the dog.”

Ohayon served this country for 23 years.

In Chris Christie's New Jersey:

This is but the latest in a string of refusals to allow service dogs to accompany veterans with mental disabilities like depression or PTSD. Last August, police in New Jersey kicked Jared Goering and his service dog, Gator, off the boardwalk, mockingly asking him if “all veterans get service dogs.”

And in Mitt Romney's Massachusettes:

Later that month, a Massachusetts establishment kicked James Glaser and his dog, Jack out, claiming that his reason for having him wasn’t “legitimate.”

While I sympathize with these people and am grateful for their service -- the ADA guideline seem pretty reasonable.

Revised ADA Policies and Exceptions:

A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability.

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

While I sympathize I also know that the use of service dogs is woefully abused. To me any well behaved dog should be welcome anyplace.

This is but the latest in a string of refusals to allow service dogs to accompany veterans with mental disabilities like depression or PTSD. Last August, police in New Jersey kicked Jared Goering and his service dog, Gator, off the boardwalk, mockingly asking him if “all veterans get service dogs.”

Later that month, a Massachusetts establishment kicked James Glaser and his dog, Jack out, claiming that his reason for having him wasn’t “legitimate.”
Those are states run by progressives, sport.

What task is a ptsd service dog trained to perform?

Does it matter? The dog is there to keep the veteran calm, and to stop him/her from becoming scared.

Many dogs are taken into nursing homes or even mental hospitals - they do wonders for the patients.

Good news for mom's pot bellied pig and dad's anaconda if the parents end up in a nursing home.

HOUSTON -- A U.S. Army and Navy veteran says he was told he had to leave a west Houston restaurant because of his service dog.

Aryeh Ohayon says it happened Tuesday at the Thai Spice Buffet II restaurant in the 2500 block of South Voss Road.

“I told him what my disabilities were. That’s when he said, you’re not blind,” recalled Ohayon. “[He said] I don’t see why you need the dog.”

Thai restaurant, which is owned, and staffed, by Asian immigrants. Sounds like a bunch of Democrats to me.

Thai restaurant, which is owned, and staffed, by Asian immigrants. Sounds like a bunch of Democrats to me.

Fuckin gooks

Since you are listing Democrat states that hate vets don't forget New York.

War Veteran Sues KFC Operators After Service Dog Denied Entrance

Those are states run by progressives, sport.

I'm still confounded as to how Massachusetts is "Mitt Romney's state". He has not been the governor of that state since 2007 and Deval Patrick a democrat has been since 2007.

And the Houston mayor is a dem.

This thread is really silly, it assumes those involved are Christians. :cuckoo:

What task is a ptsd service dog trained to perform?

Does it matter? The dog is there to keep the veteran calm, and to stop him/her from becoming scared.

Many dogs are taken into nursing homes or even mental hospitals - they do wonders for the patients.

I agree. Psychological injuries in of of themselves are devastating because they prevent an individual from enjoying life. Additionally, these injuries often manifest in life-threatening physical symptoms

“The effect of PTSD can be far-reaching. In particular, PTSD can negatively effect a person's mental health, physical health, work, and relationships. For example, studies have found that people with PTSD are at heightened risk for developing other anxiety disorders, major depression, or substance use disorders. It has also been found that people with PTSD are at high risk for developing certain physical health problems, such as heart disease.....

“It is quite common for people with PTSD to experience panic attacks, and people with PTSD are at greater risk for developing panic disorder.”

PTSD and Other Anxiety Disorders - Relationship between PTSD and Other Anxiety Disorders

“During a panic attack, you may be afraid of dying or afraid of losing control of yourself. It may seem like things happening around you aren't real. An attack usually lasts from 5 to 20 minutes but may last even longer, up to a few hours. You have the most anxiety about 10 minutes after the attack starts. You may have physical symptoms, including: chest pain; a fast of pounding heart; difficulty breathing; dizziness, shaking or trembling; stomach pain or nausea ; sweating; hills or hot flashes; and feeling like you're choking.”

(I once knew a woman who had a panic attack while driving. She stopped her car in traffic and just ran away. About an hour later, she was on the other side of town, semi-nude, disoriented and needed the police to help her find her car. Panic attacks can be dangerous both to the person having them and to others.)

PTSD and Panic Attacks-Overview

The effects of stress on both health and longevity are widely known so no more links are necessary. However, I do find the following information to be significant:

“CHICAGO (Reuters) - U.S. military veterans who have post-traumatic stress disorder -- a condition marked by severe anxiety, sleep disruptions, hyperarousal and impaired concentration -- have double the risk of dying and a greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease, researchers said on Wednesday. ….Researchers studied the medical records of 286,194 veterans. During an average follow-up of almost a decade and after adjusting for age, gender and cardiovascular risk factors, they found that veterans diagnosed with PTSD had 2.4 times the rate of death from all causes compared with non-PTSD veterans.”

Post-traumatic stress ups heart disease risk in vets | Lifescript.com

The dangers of PTSD are real. If a dog can help a vet cope with this condition, the dog should be allowed to accompany the vet in all places that guide dogs are now allowed. I believe the benefits to vets outweigh any inconvenience to a business or the general public.

OP say "A U.S. Army and Navy veteran"

for the record which one???

35dc495.jpg

This is a completely unrelated issue to Arizona's SB1062 bill. This, is a matter of Federal law long on the books. Service animals are federally protected and can accompany their owners ANYWHERE, even onto airplanes.

OP say "A U.S. Army and Navy veteran"

for the record which one???

35dc495.jpg

Recall when in the Navy myself programs recruiting former military into the Navy branch. Presumedly it's something like that, started in one, got out, went back into the other.

This is a completely unrelated issue to Arizona's SB1062 bill. This, is a matter of Federal law long on the books. Service animals are federally protected and can accompany their owners ANYWHERE, even onto airplanes.

That is not quite what the law says. It specifically states that the owner has to have complete control over him, and that the business can ask what service it performs. I would assume that the last question gives them an option of not allowing it if they can make a solid case that the service will not be necessary inside the premises of the business.

I would also point out that, if the business owner, or an employee, is allergic to dogs they can ban even service animals because their health has to be a factor in the equation.

Forum List

Back