Japan has a new PM (elect)

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Shigeru Ishiba, a frank-speaking veteran politician and former defense minister, on Friday was elected leader of Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party on his fifth try, besting eight other candidates and ensuring he will become the country's next prime minister.

Seems the Japanese markets were not excited by this...

I cannot say I know enough about Japanese politics to say if this is a good choice or not.

This is the good news for China. Shigeru Ishiba is an outsider who is weak on national defense. He is a bad choice for the Japanese economy and stock markets reacted negatively. Ishiba is known for "hawkish austerity policies" such as early interest rate hikes, corporate tax hikes, and strengthened financial income taxation. The markets panicked with a strong yen and falling stock prices.

GYdpr8CawAAxrTa

A researcher at a Chinese government-affiliated think tank told Hong Kong media, ''Although Ishiba is a conservative politician, he is relatively moderate and balanced. He also understands sensitive issues between China and Japan, such as historical awareness. My impression is that it's not bad."

Last edited:
Shigeru Ishiba is an outsider who is weak on national defense.

Are you kidding? is this one of those spoof post?

Shigeru Ishiba is veteran politician and former defense minister. His whole campaign as focused on national defense and he is pushing an Asian version of NATO.

Forum List

Back