🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Jeb Bush's solution to unwed mothers--public shaming

"He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption."

Obviously Florida republicans preferred such women had abortions instead.
that just doesn't make sense though....I thought every State has laws that allow women who do not want their babies and prefer to give them up and let them be adopted, to drop them off at a hospital or the fire Department, with no questions asked, full anonymity....?

Those girls should be ashamed. There's no reason for anyone to be pregnant today unless they WANT to be pregnant.

Contraceptives are available and they should make sure their partner wears a condom. No condom. No sex.

Of course that requires a chickie with a brain. Never mind. Anyone who's pregnant today and is unwed is either looking for support from Welfare, Medicaid and all that social bullshit. Or she's one stupid chickie.

Jeb Bush In 1995 Unwed Mothers Should Be Publicly Shamed

And, in spite of years of having to learn over and over again, that it is NOT a good idea to run for office while conducting war on women, another GOP candidate does it again.

Now, folks, if people come to the conclusion that Jeb is not as smart as Bush II, I suspect that Jeb is going to have a serious uphill climb to the GOP nomination.

what happened to the moderate jeb? i think he went the way of the dodo.

pure idiocy. maybe he wants to go back to the scarlet "A".

As a matter of fact, Jeb actually refers to "The Scarlet Letter" in his book, as a good thing, that should not have been dropped in today's society.

i'd never heard that.

how sad.

"He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption."

Obviously Florida republicans preferred such women had abortions instead.
that just doesn't make sense though....I thought every State has laws that allow women who do not want their babies and prefer to give them up and let them be adopted, to drop them off at a hospital or the fire Department, with no questions asked, full anonymity....?

yes

And, in spite of years of having to learn over and over again, that it is NOT a good idea to run for office while conducting war on women, another GOP candidate does it again.

Now, folks, if people come to the conclusion that Jeb is not as smart as Bush II, I suspect that Jeb is going to have a serious uphill climb to the GOP nomination.

As cruel as it sounds sometimes stigmas and shaming actually are constructive.

yes. victimizing women is always a good thing to misogynists.

Last edited:

Ironic given that he fathered and raised an Rx drug addict daughter and when it came time for "public shaming" suddenly it was a "private family matter".

Ironic given that he fathered and raised an Rx drug addict daughter and when it came time for "public shaming" suddenly it was a "private family matter".

but it's not like she was a harlot

'As governor of Florida in 2001, Bush had the opportunity to test his theory on public shaming. He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption. He later signed a repeal of the so-called "Scarlet Letter" law in 2003 after it was successfully challenged in court.'

Yet another example of the reprehensible right.
So is that "shaming" or is it a way to give potential fathers the opportunity to claim the child?

As cruel as it sounds sometimes stigmas and shaming actually are constructive.
:rolleyes:

You know what? In Europe, the instances of teen pregnancy are extremely low compared to the US. It has nothing to do with public shaming. It has everything to do with good sex education, the availability of birth control, and the fact that Europeans are realists and know that teenagers will engage in sexual activity--nothing whatsoever to do with shame. If the US would knock off the Puritan high jinks and get real, we would eliminate, for the most part, the teen pregnancy problem.

Also, some girls who have low self esteem and don't see much of a future for themselves purposely have a baby so they have someone to love and to love them. This is also linked to education and to social problems: again, has nothing to do with shame.

Applause.gif

'As governor of Florida in 2001, Bush had the opportunity to test his theory on public shaming. He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption. He later signed a repeal of the so-called "Scarlet Letter" law in 2003 after it was successfully challenged in court.'

Yet another example of the reprehensible right.
So is that "shaming" or is it a way to give potential fathers the opportunity to claim the child?
Also, after thinking about it a while, it's a way for the state to recoup some of their money.
Aid for dependent children (AFDC) is Florida's cash benefit welfare.
It has to be paid back by the father when he gets out of jail or when he turns up.
"Unknown", in the Father blank doesn't give the state anyone to collect from

Forum List

Back