šŸŒŸ Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! šŸŒŸ

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs šŸŽ

Jimmy Fallon after Orlando: "Keep respecting each other"

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Jimmy Fallon Gets Emotional While Addressing Orlando Shooting: 'There Will Always Be More Good Than Evil'

^ I thought this was well spoken and well done ^
We are not always going to agree on everything, and that's what America is about.

Below is Jimmy Fallon's monologue in full:

"As you certainly know by now, early Sunday morning there was another senseless shooting, this time at a dance club in Orlando, Florida. A dance club. It left 49 people dead, which is the largest loss of life due to a terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.

"I know everyone is angry right now and doesn't know how to react and this is a time when people are looking to us as a country and how we will react. This country was built on an idea that we don't agree on everything; that we are a tolerant, free nation that encourages debate, free-thinking, believing, or not, in what you choose.

"I, as a new father, am thinking, 'What do I tell my kids?' What do I tell them about this? What can we learn from this? What if my kids are gay? What do I tell them?

"Maybe there's a lesson from all this. A lesson in tolerance. We need to support each other's differences and worry less about our own opinions. Get back to debate and away from believing or supporting the idea that if someone doesn't live the way you want them to live, you just buy a gun and kill them. Bomb them up. That is not OK.

"We need to get back to being brave enough to accept that we have different opinions and that's OK, because that is what America is built on. The idea that we can stand up and speak our minds and live our lives and not be punished for that, or mocked on the Internet, or killed by someone you don't know.

"This was just one bad guy here. 49 good people and one bad guy, and there will always be more good than evil.

"When I think of Orlando, I think of nothing but fun and joy and families. If anyone can do it, you can. Keep loving each other. Keep respecting each other. And keep on dancing."

=========================
Reminds me of the farewell speech by Conan O'Brien
I thought was also very thoughtful and inspiring:

"Before we bring this rodeo to a close, I think a couple things should be said.

Thereā€™s been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and canā€™t say about NBC.

And this isnā€™t a joke.

To set the record straight, and this is true, tonight Iā€™m allowed to say anything I want.

(Man laughs)

Um, and no itā€™s not a joke, but thanks sir. Tonight I really am allowed to say whatever I want and what I want to say is this.

Between my time at ā€œSaturday Night Live,ā€ ā€œThe Late Night Show,ā€ and my brief run here on ā€œThe Tonight Show,ā€ Iā€™ve worked with NBC for over 20 years.

Yes, we have our differences right now, yes weā€™re going our separate ways, but this company has been my home for most of my adult life.

I am enormously proud of the work weā€™ve done together. And I want to thank NBC for making it all possible. I really do.

(Audience applauds)

A lot of people have been asking me about my state of mind and Iā€™ll be honest with you, walking away from ā€œThe Tonight Showā€ is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

Um, making this choice has been enormously difficult. This is the best job in the world.

I absolutely love doing it and I have the best staff and crew in the history of the medium.

I will fight anybody who says I donā€™t, but no one would.

But despite this sense of loss, I really feel this should be a happy moment. Every comedianā€¦every comedian dreams of hosting ā€œThe Tonight Showā€ and for seven months, I got to do it.

And I did it my way with people I love. I do not regret one second of anything that weā€™ve done here.

(Audience applause)

And yeah.

And I encounter people when I walk on the street now who are just uh who give me sort of a sad look.

I have had more fortune than anybody I know.

And if our next gig is doing a show in a 7-Eleven Parking lot we will find a way to make it fine. We really will.

I have no problems. And, I donā€™t want to do it on a 7-Eleven parking lot.

(Audience laughs)

But whatever, uh, finally I have something to say to our fans.

This massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming for me.

The rallies, the signs, all the goofy outrageous creativity on the Internet uh, the fact that people have traveled long distances and camped out all night in the pouring rain.

(Audience cheers)

Itā€™s pouring! Itā€™s been pouring for days and theyā€™re camping out to be in our audience.

Really, youā€¦Hereā€™s what all of you have done.

Youā€™ve made a sad situation joyous and inspirational.

So to all the people watching I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me and Iā€™ll think about it for the rest of my life.

And all I ask is one thingā€¦and this isā€¦Iā€™m asking this particularly of young people that watchā€¦please do not be cynical.

I hate cynicism. For the record, itā€™s my least favorite quality.

It doesnā€™t lead anywhere.

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get.

But if you work really hard and youā€™re kind, amazing things will happen. Iā€™m telling you. Amazing things will happen. (Audience claps)

Iā€™m telling you.

Itā€™s just true.

It wasn't a senseless killing spree. It was an execution in accordance with a widespread ideology.

It wasn't a senseless killing spree. It was an execution in accordance with a widespread ideology.

Dear Tipsycatlover Yes and no. It depends which Muslim you ask.
I just saw a Fox faceoff between two local media spokespeople
Quanell X and Matt Patrick

Quanell X did cite that ISIS follows a certain extreme wing of Salafism
AND that true Islam is against homosexuality and not compatible or tolerant of it.

FOX Faceoff - Orlando mass deadly shooting
^ I found this link but can't get it to work. ^

So one difference appears to be the same SPLIT as in the
Christian faith, where SOME TRADITIONAL Christians will say you cannot
include homosexuality and still be Christian while others say you CAN be or have both.

And clearly the same SPLIT occurs among Muslims where some tolerate homosexuality
while others condemn and reject it saying it goes against God's laws and principles.
http://islamandhomosexuality.com/5-imams-openly-gay/

And the KEY difference among Muslims I have found is to what degree can
people incite violence or take justice into their own hands
"by any means possible" which clearly can conflict with Constitutional govt.

If jihadist terrorists take over a govt, then they can start executing
people on command without due process. Because the "civil authority"
of their local land has no such checks and balances "separating church and state"
as in America.

For Muslims who commit to follow the same laws of God that
check against such extreme imposition of authority,
YES acts of abuse, violence and oppression can be prevented that are otherwise
AGAINST natural laws of peace and justice or democratic society that come from GOD.

So that explains why Muslims in America who either abide by
Christian scripture and/or Constitutional and civil laws are
different from other countries that don't have these protections against religious and cult abuses of power.

The Muslims I know respect both the natural/Constitutional laws as given by God
and the laws of all religions that promote peace and universal inclusion.
Some Christians do not believe in that either.

Forum List

Back