Jimmy Page Found Not Guilty of Plagiarism with Stairway

Snouter

Can You Smell Me
Aug 3, 2013
Zeppelin was well aware of Spirit and their instrumental Taurus ;) but folks really should not be able to patent a chord progression, arpeggio or combination of the two. The melody line is mostly chord tones. The fact is Jimmy Page and Robert Plant got into trouble with old blue tunes not because of the blues progressions and solos because they were really significantly different than the supposed original, but because Plant used the lyrics from the originals.

Led Zeppelin cleared of plagiarism in Stairway case - BBC News

Zeppelin was well aware of Spirit and their instrumental Taurus ;) but folks really should not be able to patent a chord progression, arpeggio or combination of the two. The melody line is mostly chord tones. The fact is Jimmy Page and Robert Plant got into trouble with old blue tunes not because of the blues progressions and solos because they were really significantly different than the supposed original, but because Plant used the lyrics from the originals.

Good for them. The case was ridiculous and based on greed.

This kind of news only makes me even more proud to be the country music listener that I have been since my first day on this planet because people in country music work for what they financially get. They don't try to score it through a lawsuit against someone else.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I didn't figure they'd be found guilty, but Led Zeppelin made their concert debut in America as Spirit’s opening act, and the two bands were on the same festival bill a handful of times in 1969. Page claims he had never even heard Taurus until this lawsuit came up. Hard to believe Spirit never played it the times they were part of the same bill.

This kind of news only makes me even more proud to be the country music listener that I have been since my first day on this planet because people in country music work for what they financially get. They don't try to score it through a lawsuit against someone else.

Holly
When I was a songwriter I was told never to send songs to publishing houses in Nashville, because if they like them, they will just rewrite them. This actually happened to me and the song was one of the largest country hits of the year.

I didn't figure they'd be found guilty, but Led Zeppelin made their concert debut in America as Spirit’s opening act, and the two bands were on the same festival bill a handful of times in 1969. Page claims he had never even heard Taurus until this lawsuit came up. Hard to believe Spirit never played it the times they were part of the same bill.
Being on the same bill with a group does not mean that you listened to them play.

I just listened to Taurus again and not only did Jimmy Page borrow the guitar intro, he borrowed the synth/strings riffing for his In The Evening intro. But who knows. By the way those particular string sounds are done with a Gizmotron which is like a mini Hurdy Gurdy device glued onto a guitar. I just where read Jimmy Page said his blues songs was sufficiently different than the blues songs that inspired them but they were sued because Robert Plant was too lazy to change the lyrics. :p

Last edited:

Holly
Well it's hard to plagiarize country music because it all sounds the same

Musicians and writers all steal from somebody and each other. If they all got sued for it nobody would be in the business. The heavy metal and death metal bands are smarter than most, as most of them are shrewd enough to lift theirs from out of copyright traditional, classical, and opera music.

Holly
How hard is it to write songs about drinking beer? That stuff is crap.
God bless.

Good for them. The case was ridiculous and based on greed.

Yup, seriously 40 years plus latter and now they wanted to file a lawsuit?

It kind of reminds me a little bit when Prince was so worried about purple rain having almost the same cord changes as journeys faithfully , that he sent the tape to them before he released the song .

Holly
When I was a songwriter I was told never to send songs to publishing houses in Nashville, because if they like them, they will just rewrite them. This actually happened to me and the song was one of the largest country hits of the year.
And that is why we register and copyright them the minute the pen meets paper.

Holly

You sound like a liberal in this post, the new country sounds to me like pop rock of the 80s.

Holly

You sound like a liberal in this post, the new country sounds to me like pop rock of the 80s.

Yes. Even the stage shows have the similar special effects now. was it Garth Brooks who started the trend? I don't recall.

Holly
And that is why we register and copyright them the minute the pen meets paper.
Mine was copy written. People were telling me that they were hearing my song on the radio. I heard the song and they took the idea and the hook, but I did not feel it was close enough for a lawsuit.

Holly

Yes. Even the stage shows have the similar special effects now. was it Garth Brooks who started the trend?
I think it was. It seems when Hee Haw went off the air in 1992 everthing started to change with country music. I hate it.

Holly
Can I ask what song it is?

Holly
God bless.
Well that right there is just it. Not every song is a

Holly
Not to me. A lot of it does sound the same, but there are plenty of differences too.

Holly
God bless.
Well that right there is just it. Not every song is about beer drinking. Plenty of other subjects are sung about.

God bless you three always!!!

Holly

P.S. I actually think that these two songs sound alike.

Holly
Can I ask what song it is?

Holly
God bless.
Well that right there is just it. Not every song is a

Holly
Not to me. A lot of it does sound the same, but there are plenty of differences too.

Holly
God bless.
Well that right there is just it. Not every song is about beer drinking. Plenty of other subjects are sung about.

God bless you three always!!!

Holly

P.S. I actually think that these two songs sound alike.

The song that they made of it was called Jose Cuervo.

The chord progression is like...400 years old.

Forum List

Back