Jindal makes the case for him to be on the main stage, Bush to be on kiddie table

Why doesn't "Bobby" Jindal use his real given first name ; Piyush

Indian Americans React to Bobby Jindal Presidential Announcement

View attachment 53796

657e92be273eef41f8b6b457babe4acb.jpg
It looks to me as if it is a really hard name for english speakers to pronounce correctly. It is horrible to have people butcher your name, so he made it easy for people not to offend him.
Indain has different phonemes than english. We have some weird phonemes in english that give foreigners fits, like th and w for russians, germans and hebrew speakers. Or the mutual incomprehension felt by Korean and Japanese for the letter l and r which they regard as a single letter. Korean is even worse, as their p/b letter is p and b in english

Astute points about phonemes, but hey --- "Piyush"? How hard is that?

He literally named himself after Bobby Brady, the TV character. I'm not even making that up.

From Piyush to Bobby

From Piyush to Bobby: How does Jindal feel about his family’s past?

I don't know, I have never heard him pronounce it. I do know from listening to indians struggle with english that they have very different vowels. And putting the english alphabet over indian and oriental phonemes leads to nothing but frustration. It is bad enough with russian which has several vowels that are quite different.

The internets haz everyfing!

I suspect if anything "Jindal" is more of a challenge to an Anglophone. I doubt it's properly pronounced to rhyme with "spindle" --- but that's the way he says it.

Hindi pronunciation is here.

But this is much ado about nothing. You should have heard the Japanese guy I had on the radio trying to pronounce the name "Terry Riley".

It looks like he he got a lot of grief because it sounds like pee. People get defensive about names and kids can be cruel

Terry Riley is a horrible name for Japanese to deal with.

View attachment 53796

It looks to me as if it is a really hard name for english speakers to pronounce correctly. It is horrible to have people butcher your name, so he made it easy for people not to offend him.
Indain has different phonemes than english. We have some weird phonemes in english that give foreigners fits, like th and w for russians, germans and hebrew speakers. Or the mutual incomprehension felt by Korean and Japanese for the letter l and r which they regard as a single letter. Korean is even worse, as their p/b letter is p and b in english

He literally named himself after Bobby Brady, the TV character. I'm not even making that up.

Maybe Piyush, when butchered by the english tongue, sounds like an offensive word?

"Call me Bobby" is probably short for "If you try to call me "Piyush" and it sounds like "%$$$#$%" in my family tongue, I am going to bust your ass!! Say Bobby, you barbarians with too much technology"

View attachment 53796

From Piyush to Bobby

From Piyush to Bobby: How does Jindal feel about his family’s past?

The article suggests that Jindal wishes to be an identity less, empty cultural automaton. The Brady's were a cultural sterile fictional family without a true identity. In fact, only a few episodes suggested they were Christian, and even those left out Jesus name(They could have been Jewish that celebrated christmas)

Bobby Brady--A made up character with little, if any, cultural traits. That may be Jindal's ideal American. Scary.

Forum List

Back