Joe's Crab Shack takes servers to $14/hr

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Interesting, we'll see how it goes. Their prices are going up (which would have largely paid the tip), and no doubt their competitors are watching:

Joe's Crab Shack Tests No-Tipping Policy, Raises Server Wages To $14/Hour

Joe’s Crab Shack will become the first national full-service chain to test a no-tipping policy, following in the footsteps of several prominent New York-based restaurants that ditched gratuity last month.

Restaurant Business reports that Joe’s parent company, Ignite Restaurant Group, actually began testing the no-tipping policy at just a few restaurants back in August, but now plans to expand it to all 113 locations in the U.S.

To make up for the lost gratuity, the company says it will implement a new set wage practice. Servers will now be paid at a rate starting at $14/hour based on their past performance.

And, of course, to generate the revenue needed for the new wages, the company is executing a 12% to 15% increase to the restaurant’s menu.

Last edited:
Tipping should always be optional to reward exceptional service. When it's factored in as salary it's not a tip any more.

To make up for the lost gratuity, the company says it will implement a new set wage practice. Servers will now be paid at a rate starting at $14/hour based on their past performance.

And, of course, to generate the revenue needed for the new wages, the company is executing a 12% to 15% increase to the restaurant’s menu.

As a 20-30% tipper, the new paradigm will save me 5-15%.

It's basically what is done in Europe.
Yeah, and America is best served by following Europe's lead. :haha:

Holy shit....look at all of the fucking know-it-alls piping in with their expert analysis! It's awesome.

If this policy was shitty......and the test showed that restaurants either :

1) Lost business due to the price increase which offsets the tip...

or

2) Lost their best employees due to reduced earnings......

The company would have shitcanned the idea.

Why do nutters always think they know shit?

I wonder if $14/hr is enough for these folks. Don't they usually do better than that?
A good waiter or waitress would definitely do better than that.
Well, it depends on the restaurant. Maybe at this level that's fairly comparable to what they make.

I'll bet some people would tip anyway.

I sure hope the "no tip" policies don't catch on.
I've always enjoyed tipping way more than necessary, It's always made for great service on return trips.

Forum List

Back