John Kerry’s big blunder in seeking an Israel-Gaza cease-fire

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010

Secretary of State John Kerry has made a significant mistake in how he’s pursuing a Gaza cease-fire — and it’s not surprising that he has upset both the Israelis and some moderate Palestinians.

Kerry’s error has been to put so much emphasis on achieving a quick halt to the bloodshed that he has solidified the role of Hamas, the intractable, unpopular Islamist group that leads Gaza, along with the two hard-line Islamist nations that are its key supporters, Qatar and Turkey.

In the process, he has undercut not simply the Israelis but also the Egyptians and the Fatah movement that runs the Palestinian Authority, all of which want to see an end to Hamas rule in Gaza.

John Kerry?s big blunder in seeking an Israel-Gaza cease-fire - The Washington Post

Obama looks for the easy answer that sides with Hamas instead of the intelligent answer that could appease both sides. It may take more time but in the long run would be the shortest timed answer because it could bring the two sides together. But that would get in the way of his vacations and fundraising.

Secretary of State John Kerry has made a significant mistake in how he’s pursuing a Gaza cease-fire — and it’s not surprising that he has upset both the Israelis and some moderate Palestinians.

Kerry’s error has been to put so much emphasis on achieving a quick halt to the bloodshed that he has solidified the role of Hamas, the intractable, unpopular Islamist group that leads Gaza, along with the two hard-line Islamist nations that are its key supporters, Qatar and Turkey.

In the process, he has undercut not simply the Israelis but also the Egyptians and the Fatah movement that runs the Palestinian Authority, all of which want to see an end to Hamas rule in Gaza.

John Kerry?s big blunder in seeking an Israel-Gaza cease-fire - The Washington Post

Obama looks for the easy answer that sides with Hamas instead of the intelligent answer that could appease both sides. It may take more time but in the long run would be the shortest timed answer because it could bring the two sides together. But that would get in the way of his vacations and fundraising.

Thank you, informative article; undermining Hamas with other nations, and factions is key.

at this point one can not appease both sides

Israel want to live in peace

while Hamas has devoted itself to killing every Jew

from behind every rock and tree

i believe Kerryshitforbrains and Obozo "i just want to golf and fund raise", should just let Israel finish what the Jew killers started, many, many years ago when Arafuck was a teenage terrorist.

any liberliars disagree ??

i am certain you will ! :up:

not a 'blunder'.....the Administration always sides with the Muslim Brotherhood......:mad:

i wouldn't be surprised if they supported interference by Turkey....

I respect Ignatius, but the reality is Israel wanted this war and used the deaths of three teenagers to inflame passions, much as Bushii used 9-11. The US's interests are not the same as Bibi's, and this war is directly counter to our interests. Ignatius's piece failed to accurately reflect that Kerry pushed a modified version of Sise's Egypt proposal, which is hardly favorable to Hamas, but Bibi has to achieve a total economic and military crushing of Hamas. If anyone thinks that's going to help moderate Tehran, I have a desert country I'd like to sell to you.

I respect Ignatius, but the reality is Israel wanted this war and used the deaths of three teenagers to inflame passions, much as Bushii used 9-11. The US's interests are not the same as Bibi's, and this war is directly counter to our interests. Ignatius's piece failed to accurately reflect that Kerry pushed a modified version of Sise's Egypt proposal, which is hardly favorable to Hamas, but Bibi has to achieve a total economic and military crushing of Hamas. If anyone thinks that's going to help moderate Tehran, I have a desert country I'd like to sell to you.

wasn't just the teenagers....but a couple thousand rockets shot at Israel over the last month...

Kerry's 'version' completely left out Egypt in the traditional supervisory role....instead the supervision was placed in the hands of Turkey and Qatar who are both supporters of Hamas....

and there was no mention of getting rid of Hamas rockets or dismantling the tunnels....

There's not much hope for a serious cease-fire when one side is yelling "Cease!" and the other side is yelling "Fire!".

And the US was shocked-SHOCKED-the press criticized Kerry.

Israel wants a cease-fire to stipulate the dismantling of Hamas’ rockets and the destruction of its tunnels into Israel.

Rice in her remarks at the same gathering said the Obama administration was “dismayed by some press reports in Israel mischaracterizing (Kerry’s) efforts last week to achieve a cease-fire. We know these misleading reports in turn raise concerns here at home in America.”

US officials had over the weekend anonymously told reporters that they were appalled by the attacks on Kerry, but Rice’s public airing suggested how seriously the White House took the matter.

In her briefing with reporters Monday, Kerry’s spokeswoman, Jen Psaki, suggested the Israeli officials behind the campaign were behaving inappropriately considering that the U.S. is their friend.

Criticism of Kerry for his efforts to advance ceasefire ?unwarranted,? Dermer says | JPost | Israel News

Like I said, arrogant as hell.

Last edited:

wasn't just the teenagers....but a couple thousand rockets shot at Israel over the last month...

Kerry's 'version' completely left out Egypt in the traditional supervisory role....instead the supervision was placed in the hands of Turkey and Qatar who are both supporters of Hamas....

and there was no mention of getting rid of Hamas rockets or dismantling the tunnels....

Israel asserted hamas kidnapped the kids, and arrested hundreds of hamas guys it had previously released under a cease fire and return of a captured IDF soldier. Hamas THEN responded with its ineffectual rocket attack. And NOW it turns out that Hamas leadership DID NOT order the kidnapping of the teenagers.

It's another in the pattern of Bibi using any pretext to appropriate Palestinian land or destabilize the relative instability of Hamas' governance of gaza. I mean, he might have to actually negotiate a west bank separate nation. Yawee Forbid!

Oh, ffs. They have been repeatedly firing rockets. Don't let the facts get in the way.

Lone Hamas affiliated cell didn't get approval from the higher ranks. That makes it all better.

Last edited:

Israel asserted hamas kidnapped the kids, and arrested hundreds of hamas guys it had previously released under a cease fire and return of a captured IDF soldier. Hamas THEN responded with its ineffectual rocket attack. And NOW it turns out that Hamas leadership DID NOT order the kidnapping of the teenagers.

It's another in the pattern of Bibi using any pretext to appropriate Palestinian land or destabilize the relative instability of Hamas' governance of gaza. I mean, he might have to actually negotiate a west bank separate nation. Yawee Forbid!

You'er a retard. We get it.

Kerry presented a cease fire proposal that essentially mirrored Hamas' demands. That wasnt going to happen. The cease fire would do nothing for Israel, and allow Hamas to rearm and resupply. Who would agree to something like that? Even the Left in israel was critical, and Kerry engaged Qatar (the same folks who brought us Bowe Bergdahl) and Turkey, both supporters of Hamas. Egypt is opposed to Hamas, as are most other countries in the middle east. But this admiistration is so stupid they cant get out of their own way.

so if Hamas wants peace all they have to do is stop their attacks....why aren't they....?

Bush "used" 911 to inflame passions???? Where were you on 911...at your mosque? What a stupid thing to say.

vgmum0.jpg

bushii used 9-11 to attack Iraq. I think Kerry did misstep. Israel is determined to achieve a military victory over Hamas, which it does from time to time, accomplishing little. We should probably just watch.

Forum List

Back