Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz (R) Seek to Cancel MLB By Introducing Legislation

If Joe Biden wants to use big league baseball to intervene and interfere in Georgia election legislation
I am 100% in favor of revoking their special protections granted by Congress, for what that's worth.
Why can't we revoke Big Tech's special carve outs also?
Cruz and Hawley seem to be two members of Congress, at least, who get what's going on.

I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.
What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

... and not because of principles. Which you clearly lack.

I've always supported anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next. Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook are ALL going to be busted up. Nazi scum like Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Kamala Harris won't have their protection anymore.

It's simply virtue signaling to their base. They don't have the numbers to pass the bill into law and override a presidential veto.

No, it's more than virtue signaling. It's also forcing the Democrats on the record as supporting monopolistic businesses when it suits their political agenda. Are you suggesting that the minority party in Congress should just do nothing whatsoever because they don't have the votes? They should just sit quietly in the corner?
You make a good point on getting people on record; however, I highly doubt that the position senators and reps have on this bill will ever become an issue when it is election time.

Perhaps not this individual issue, no. However, this is far from the only instance of monopolistic businesses dabbling in politics, attempting to coerce people to a specific agenda, and all-around behaving very much like an unelected shadow government. Painting an overall impression, through multiple actions like this one, of Democrats being in league with, if not the puppets of, oppressive billionaire autocrats while the Republicans are the brave and overwhelmed defenders of traditional individual freedom COULD very well make the difference at election time.

These days, nothing is about individual issues and everything is about narrative.

If Joe Biden wants to use big league baseball to intervene and interfere in Georgia election legislation
I am 100% in favor of revoking their special protections granted by Congress, for what that's worth.
Cruz and Hawley seem to be two members of Congress, at least, who get what's going on.
baseball is boring as hell...even the players are bored stupid

I thought maybe put in Sports section, but it's probably more political than Sports since it involves Senators.

A group of Senators, including Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley introduced a bill to end Major League Baseball’s monopoly by eliminating their special antitrust exemption.

The group says the bill is an immediate reaction to MLB’s decision to relocate the All Star game from Georgia to Colorado.

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its elimination would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Look at those Republicans and their cancel culture!

lol

Forbes says The antitrust exemption, which dates back to a 1922 Supreme Court case and has been held up in multiple subsequent cases, is the only one of its kind for a sports league. Its eliminaGoodtion would expose MLB to antitrust litigation and weaken the MLB’s power to reduce competition.

Good for them. The Govt giveth the Govt can take away. MLB was given special treatment via the Govt, and if they abuse that power...as they have here, by pushing the false propaganda of Xiden and the Dems, and in doing so harmed the people of GA...they should feel the consequences.

lol
Not very bright of you, not surprisingly.
This legislation, which will never see the light of day in Biden's illegitimate government,
only seeks to revoke special privileges extended to baseball almost one hundred years ago.

No one is cancelling anything. If MLB doesn't like it they can always stop meddling in Georgia's
business. Biden can kiss Georgia's ass!

otehr
lol
I am sorry, what does this legislation have to do with canceling MLB or any team? It doesn't. It simply about treating them the same as any other business in the United States.

Treating people equally isn't canceling anything....geez...sad you think that

Good idea. All for-profit entities should be subject to anti-trust laws. The Big Tech companies are next.
What a pity you rightards only support that now out of spite because MLB is moving the all-star game out of Georgia and because Republicans are now pushing the idea...

There are people who for years who have gotten tired of the massive salaries with many strikes for decades and cable TV increases and insane prices to go see games with your family. Capitulation point in sports happened for some. Then the sports turned political. Capitulation for a little more. The virus affected people. And the stands were almost empty. For me at this point I have stopped about 90% of my sports viewing and unless its paid for by someone else I will most likely not pay for a another game in any major league sport. And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god. They have Abrams and two brand new senators in Georgia and they take away an all star game from an area dominated by blacks. You cheated. And have been. By hook or by crook you will give us a Castro, Stalin, Mao type government whether we want it or not. And then the Mensheviks will become Bolsheviks and the deaths will pile up.
"And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god."

A rather odd observation given it was the loser of the last presidential election who led his flock to the Capitol to "stop the steal," which turned into an unprecedented event of sedition that unfolded before our very eyes.

Look, whatever your political beliefs - Baseball is as American as Apple Pie or Supersize meals. Nobody touches my MLB.

There are people who for years who have gotten tired of the massive salaries with many strikes for decades and cable TV increases and insane prices to go see games with your family. Capitulation point in sports happened for some. Then the sports turned political. Capitulation for a little more. The virus affected people. And the stands were almost empty. For me at this point I have stopped about 90% of my sports viewing and unless its paid for by someone else I will most likely not pay for a another game in any major league sport. And Progs are ruled by their god. the party is their god. They have Abrams and two brand new senators in Georgia and they take away an all star game from an area dominated by blacks. You cheated. And have been. By hook or by crook you will give us a Castro, Stalin, Mao type government whether we want it or not. And then the Mensheviks will become Bolsheviks and the deaths will pile up.

A rather odd observation given it was the loser of the last presidential election who led his flock to the Capitol to "stop the steal," which turned into an unprecedented event of sedition that unfolded before our very eyes.
ah wasn't anything I hadn't seen since Nov 2016...actually frankly, far more peaceful then most of the events the insurrectionist, looting, rioting, assaults, murder etc I'd seen since Nov 2016...

ah wasn't anything I hadn't seen since Nov 2016...actually frankly, far more peaceful then most of the events the insurrectionist, looting, rioting, assaults, murder etc I'd seen since Nov 2016...
None others were acts of sedition. You're just making shit up again just like you did when you falsely claimed Clinton used banned combat weapons against civilians. :cuckoo:

Those anti-trust protections didn't come from congress, they came from the USSC.
And congress can't take it away without doing so, being a "bill of attainder"

Look, whatever your political beliefs - Baseball is as American as Apple Pie or Supersize meals. Nobody touches my MLB.
Maybe you missed the Congressional Hearings in 2005...and then in 2011 when the Obama admin convicted Barry Bonds

Forum List

Back